Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Painting trim pieces

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2014 P85D and i blacked out the chrome on most of the trim with the exception of the rear since it fits there, but looks tacky on the rest of the car, But i digress. Anyway i used plasti-dip to black it out and as we know plasti-dip fades and also will peal if it had repeated hits to the same spot like the nosecone area.

I want to paint those parts with black paint so its permanent and looks proper with no more chrome bits showing through after 5 years of bugs and crap hitting it. I don't want gloss but definitely not matter either something in the semi-gloss or flat area would probably look pretty good.
NO i will not get a wrap that is no different than plasti-dip except it cost s a ton more and only lasts again 3-5 years just like plasti-dip.

I know there is a spray paint body shops use for plastics that is super high quality (and like $25 a can) but i cant remember what its called. I was also thinking of a spray on bedliner, I've heard there is a few out there that make a smooth version instead of the rough one that is normally presented.

what kind of prep should i do to the trim pieces first? just clean and go like the plasti-dip, or should i do a light sanding with 800 or 1000 grit to rough it up a little so there can be better adhesion?

I've painted plastic pieces with Krylon Fusion. It's a rattle can product used for plastic.

Keep in mind that not everyone will share your view of blacked out trim. I would do something reversible, but that's my $.02. Even paint will likely need to be touched up after 3-5 years, is more labor intensive to apply than plasti-dip, and is not removable.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Also, once upon a time on a car when I was younger and poor(er), I actually de-chromed some trim using black electrical tape.
Dont laugh. It was cheap, easy, reversible if necessary, and actually held up for about 3 years until I sold the car. Did it on window sill trim so no curves

• Funny
Reactions: airborne spoon
I've painted plastic pieces with Krylon Fusion. It's a rattle can product used for plastic.

Keep in mind that not everyone will share your view of blacked out trim. I would do something reversible, but that's my $.02. Even paint will likely need to be touched up after 3-5 years, is more labor intensive to apply than plasti-dip, and is not removable.
I don't care about other people's opinions of it blacked out. IF I ever sell the car it's just like any other car I've had painted over the years, the potential buyer will want it or not. If they don't like it, IDGAF someone else will.
Obviously I'd like to just powder coat it but since it's plastic that's not an option.

Reactions: outdoors
If you are spray painting all the pieces black, you should probably use a multi step process. I think you're right that you have to scuff the chrome first, lightly sand all the pieces. Then you have to use an adhesion promoter, a black etch primer, the black paint, and then a clear coat (matte, satin or gloss) in order to give you the most durability.

Another option is the vinyl blackout kits. Not sure which would be more durable.