TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Paintless dent removal referral in the SF Bay Area

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by RosieTsla, Feb 23, 2016.

1. RosieTsla

RosieTsla New Member

In the past on other cars, for some small dents I have had them fixed without repainting by a paintless dent removal expert. I no longer have the contact info of the guys I used years ago. I recently bent the lower edge of my Model S rear hatch. See photos below. It's not really a "dent" but I'm wondering if it can be repaired by straightening it and not having to repaint or replace the entire rear hatch piece.

I went to my local Tesla Service Center and they referred me to a body shop. I got a quote of $1,200 to straighten the damage and repaint, which includes 8.6 hours of body labor (that includes removing and reinstalling the rear applique trim and backup lamps), 1.4 hours of paint labor, and even $104 for new "MODEL S" and "85" emblems. But the shop will not guarantee that they can completely straighten the damage back to "as new" condition.

The shop says that the other option is to replace the entire aluminum rear hatch piece and of course paint to match and that will be $4 to 5 thousand.

Okay, I'm used to expensive body repairs, but that seems excessive to me. Has anyone used a paintless dent repair guy in the SF Bay Area that they can recommend? I know they normally work on steel and that aluminum can be harder to work on. But if I can pay for a 2-3 hours of labor and get 90% of the damage fixed I can live with that. It won't be perfect, but it will be barely noticeable.

Thanks. Here are the photos:
    IMG_1797.JPG IMG_1798.JPG IMG_1799.JPG

2. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

That one looks particularly tough due to the rolled metal. I'm not sure a paintless guy could do it. Hope I'm wrong. I'm not sure why they would have to paint it. The paint looks fine. You may need a full body shop.