Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Palladium Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on the interviews I've heard with Elon and Franz I don't see them doing a major redesign of the S/X.. ever. The only thing I would count on is the tri-motor (Plaid) drivetrain eventually coming to the S and X with the same incremental design improvements we've been seeing in recent years (seats, suspension, software) and maybe minor body tweaks to accommodate the new battery tech. I just don't see the ROI for them to invest in a major revisions when the S and X were expensive to design initially. The same design team presumably has tons of work ahead to finish the Truck, Semi, 7-seat Y, and Roadster. Seems like Tesla operates a bit like a software company and I just don't see a definitive Model X 2.0.0 on the horizon just minor releases 1.X.X until they become legacy models like OG Roadster. Palladium is probably the internal name of the design branch they are working on to fit the new battery/motor tech into the current S and X.

Based on the interviews I've heard with Elon and Franz I don't see them doing a major redesign of the S/X.. ever. The only thing I would count on is the tri-motor (Plaid) drivetrain eventually coming to the S and X with the same incremental design improvements we've been seeing in recent years (seats, suspension, software) and maybe minor body tweaks to accommodate the new battery tech. I just don't see the ROI for them to invest in a major revisions when the S and X were expensive to design initially. The same design team presumably has tons of work ahead to finish the Truck, Semi, 7-seat Y, and Roadster. Seems like Tesla operates a bit like a software company and I just don't see a definitive Model X 2.0.0 on the horizon just minor releases 1.X.X until they become legacy models like OG Roadster. Palladium is probably the internal name of the design branch they are working on to fit the new battery/motor tech into the current S and X.
Makes sense, I love the existing interior of the MX and I can’t imaging having anything different

The X may not change much but somewhere Elon said they were trying for too much on the S like they did on the X so have stopped with what they have. Should see a significant change there. But the X, not much, as you said.

Tesla is juggling a lot right now, continued development of Y (supposed major build style change for Berlin), refinement of 3, the massive Semi design, a whole new process to build Cybertruck, and then finally that whole cold thruster Roadster 2020. Then also new batteries, production of the new batteries, new motors for plaid, etc..

Once they get some of these settled, out the door so to speak, I can see them doing a major revision to both S/X. New body, new interior. Until then I'd bet we'll see some piecemeal improvements (Plaid, new batteries) but won't see a major complete design for many years.

Whenever it happens, you bet it will also be a redesign making both S/X much easier to build. Combine all the manufacturing skills they learned over the years and create an all new S/X packing everything in a all new, much easier to build body.

Unicast the entire car in a press the size of a small mountain. :)

Tesla is juggling a lot right now, continued development of Y (supposed major build style change for Berlin), refinement of 3, the massive Semi design, a whole new process to build Cybertruck, and then finally that whole cold thruster Roadster 2020. Then also new batteries, production of the new batteries, new motors for plaid, etc..

Once they get some of these settled, out the door so to speak, I can see them doing a major revision to both S/X. New body, new interior. Until then I'd bet we'll see some piecemeal improvements (Plaid, new batteries) but won't see a major complete design for many years.

Whenever it happens, you bet it will also be a redesign making both S/X much easier to build. Combine all the manufacturing skills they learned over the years and create an all new S/X packing everything in a all new, much easier to build body.

Unicast the entire car in a press the size of a small mountain. :)
As long as they don't get rid of the FWD :(

For those of us without young children, they're just flashy, error-prone, and slow. Might make more sense to provide as an option but I doubt Tesla goes down that route since they seem to be trying to streamline production rather than complicate.

I don't have kids, and while I do like the falcon doors in private (I.e, my driveway) when I'm out and about using them feels flashy and too much. Although it's rare that I have passengers in the back, when I do people absolutely love them though.

Reactions: Ryshaw and aesculus