Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pan Am Sports Centre tonight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BA0E54EA-7B1D-461F-81C3-CE22AC1CFB70.jpeg
52E7BA85-8EDA-45B0-851D-0601CDA2BD41.jpeg
7C7A7895-C38A-432E-B135-55EED975D921.jpeg
Unreal

Damn, is that 7 spots ICE'd? I'd contact security about getting some towed out of there (if they do that sort of thing)....but probably nothing will happen because there is technically no law saying they can't park there (its up to the lot owner's discretion as to what to do, and they will rarely want the hassle of towing someones car away...)

If you had a model X you could drag it away yourself like in that video posted a few weeks back about people ICEing superchargers :)

There are more. I only took pics of 7. I’d love it if someone tied the cables around their passenger side mirrors. I wouldn’t do it but I’d love it if someone did.

The Volvo parked beside me. I asked him if he was going to plug in. He said no. I said well then why are you parked there. He said he’s allowed and walked away.

Reminds me of the Mattamy Cycling Center (otherwise known as the Milton Velodrome). They have 5 EV spots that are "protected by By-Law". Of course, whenever they get ICE'd the staff at the desk give you the blank stare of doom and have no idea what to do. Suggesting they call the by-law enforcement officers results in further blank stares of doom.

You could call the Town by-law enforcement line yourself and leave a message reporting your grievance, and at some point before the heat-death of the sun they might listen to it. The odds of actually getting the problem dealt with while you are at the velodrome are lower than whale poop at the bottom of the Marianas Trench...o_O

If I was there I would loan you my valve stem removal tool....not condoning it, but what you do with it is your business ;)

But what if that just encourages the person to start doing the same or worse to EVs? Seems like a race to the bottom to me. I would however happily park behind them and stretch the cable over if I really needed to charge, leaving my cell number with whoever is running the building.

OP, did you actually need to charge? I find some of these locations actually have very little use and they often take up prime parking spots. Not smart and no wonder people end up parking there in "wasted" spots. A case in point - at my office they installed four ChargePoint spots a few months ago right in the nearest set of spaces to the building. I have never seen a single EV use them, ever. It's kinda dumb having those spaces just sit empty all the time - it feels like there's an "if we build it people will come" when that's not the reality most of the time. I won't be surprised at all to see someone "ICE" them one day.

But what if that just encourages the person to start doing the same or worse to EVs? Seems like a race to the bottom to me. I would however happily park behind them and stretch the cable over if I really needed to charge, leaving my cell number with whoever is running the building.

OP, did you actually need to charge? I find some of these locations actually have very little use and they often take up prime parking spots. Not smart and no wonder people end up parking there in "wasted" spots. A case in point - at my office they installed four ChargePoint spots a few months ago right in the nearest set of spaces to the building. I have never seen a single EV use them, ever. It's kinda dumb having those spaces just sit empty all the time - it feels like there's an "if we build it people will come" when that's not the reality most of the time. I won't be surprised at all to see someone "ICE" them one day.
I'm not being serious, just saying what I wish I would do. You are of course correct that it isn't worth the hassle.... But it's fun to think about pissing them off for being intentionally ignorant.

Reactions: corlaandstan
Well I look at it a bit differently. These people take an action and those that drive EVs take none. We wait for a government or property owner to take action to make policy or rules that deter ICEing. In the meantime, these idiots pull this crap without consequence. I’d love it if there was one. A day or two worth of towing in that lot stops the practice cold. The guy I dealt with today was a complete dickhead over it. I never feel sympathy for these types when the score is evened. They have that stunned look on their face which never seems to say ‘I brought it on myself by being an idiot’

I’d love to stake out one of these idiots and wait till they go to buy gas. Pull in front of them and just park at the pump and say ‘wha?’

Last edited:
I have visited the Centre quite regularly and have asked building facilities about the EV parking situation. Essentially, Tesla helped pay for the EV spots along with the City of Toronto, 16 Tesla and about 14 other EV chargers. The centre/city didn’t want to have them as EV only and take away 30 paid parking spots from ICE drivers...yeah I know. So to compromise they are first come first serve. Yes, I know...backwards.

When you walk to the building there is an information sign outside that advertises EV parking rules. One mentions the spots being first come first serve, and the second states charging should be limited to 4 hours maximum to free up availability o_O

In fairness I would caution over any towing or abuse of the ice cars as most of the people who park there may be staff and are pretty much told they are allowed to park there. The real issue and direction of abuse should be towards the building operators and the city for not knowing how to promote an EV accessible parking lot.

Last edited:
I usually place printed notes about this being an EV charging spot and asking whether they’d appreciate EV owners parking in front of gas pumps. It’s worked well in places I’ve frequented.

Of course my initial plan of plastering it to windshields was revised to just nicely placing it under windshield wipers, courtesy of the wife. o_O

I hear that the parking spots are ICEd all the time and that no one cares to enforce parking, but there are 30 chargers to choose from so you’re still likely to find a spot.

I hear that the parking spots are ICEd all the time and that no one cares to enforce parking, but there are 30 chargers to choose from so you’re still likely to find a spot.
Incorrect. All spots taken last night and this morning. Well almost. Some 10 year old Mazda parked across two spots. So if you were going today for about 9am there were no spots available. There were two EVs including me.

Seems like a lot of spots to reserve in such a small lot.

Google Maps

Seems a bit unrealistic to expect that much demand to enforce exclusive use. Notice the sign doesn't say EV only. This was probably some sort of showcase for the Pan Am Games maybe? I wonder if there were only 3 or 4 if it would be easier to get one. :)