TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Panama run

Discussion in 'News' started by evme, Feb 4, 2014.

Tags:
  1. SarahsDad

SarahsDad Member

According to the comments in the original link they're currently 92 miles away from Panama City. And I would've guessed this couldn't be done. Crazy wild trip.

2. Zextraterrestrial

that is what I made but have never needed to use it and don't even take it anywhere since there are RV parks. but hack charging on someones breaker panel is always an option, and really easy (not the safest since you need to leave the panel open..)

sounds like a 'fun' trip.
    I bet they could sell the S in Cancun or Belize for more than it would be new + get a flight paid for

3. Marcus

Marcus Member

Shed some light on a few things..

Hello. Very glad you have such interest in this trip. Let me see if I can shed some light on a few things.
    Randy and Dean took this trip on the spur of the moment when their normal work was slow (Randy is a Civil Engineer, meaning a construction or buildingengineer, but neither are electrical engineers http://www.denmon.com/randydenmon.htm). The initial idea stage for the trip (and what planning there was) basically amounted to friends “debating” ideas and concepts of what's possible and what was not possible in an all electric car over "a few" drinks.
    Randy got the car around last summer, he bought an aftermarket spare tire and rim and he had some extra cords made and some adapters.
    Also to be clear, neither me, Randy nor Dean have had any contact or help from anyone at TESLA on this trip.
    TESLA knew nothing of this attempt to make this wild drive. And as I write this neither Randy, Dean nor I have been contacted by anyone from TESLA (although we would gladly welcome it).
    We did not know where they would stay or where they would charge the car because we did not know what the real range (or speed) would be, or what the conditions (mountains, jungles, deserts, heat, etc) might be. They had no advance team. No chase truck and no one calling ahead. They found places to charge by driving around and finding them, making this that much more challenging.
    The car has been "A+" all the way under the most trying conditions.
    There will be more adventure driving in this TESLA to come. :smile:

4. Marcus

Marcus Member

Even funnier, Dean the co pilot on the trip is fully fluent in Mandarin Chinese... Sure to come in handy in Central America.:smile:

- - - Updated - - -

Randy and Dean are certainly going to publish more about this trip. We would be very glad to hear from Elon or any one at TM. The car has really been great. And there will be more "adventure driving" in this TESLA. :smile:

5. Marcus

Marcus Member

To be clear, neither Randy nor Dean, nor I have had any contacts or help from anyone atTESLA on this trip.
    TESLA knew nothing of this attempt to make this wild drive. And as I write thisneither Randy, Dean or I have been contacted by anyone from TESLA (although wewould gladly welcome it).

6. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

#26 SwedishAdvocate, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    You kind of left this part out:

:wink:

7. Marcus

Marcus Member

Very glad you have such interestin this trip. Yes, they are both from a small town way in Louisiana so their accents are notonly American, but truly "Louisiana" (which is even more distinct and can beharder to understand sometimes than even just a typical “American Southerners” accent (asI know myself). Will try to get you some more details later to day. Thank you.

8. Marcus

Marcus Member

Randy and Dean have a Facebook page "Texas to Panama in a Tesla" with a lot of video and photos up now.

9. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

would be great if someone can post those photos on here for the facebook challenged folks :)

10. 772

772 Member

11. Marcus

Marcus Member

Also EVWorld.com that broke the story about the trip will follow up today in the comments sections with the newest photos. It was a wild trip for the guys and the car. But it really proves that if they can drive it from the USA to Panama with all the issues they had, people in developed countries should easily be able to drive them everyday to school, work, etc.
    Also, I got an private message asking if we have heard directly from TESLA. No we have not heard from anyone at TESLA, but we would be happy to speak with them and give them any information we can.

12. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

I wrote to ownership (at) teslamotors when I first saw this thread; shortly thereafter I got this reply back on Feb. 5:

13. Treknom

Treknom Member

just one thing, amazing , I'm from costa rica and all i can say is that they got luck in El Salvador because street crime well, is very regular.Other thing most of the countries in Central America they are just starting with EV but taxes kill them , Costa Rica Duties to a car 53% of its value.

I

you are wrong theres a road called interamericana it goes from Mexico all the way to Chile and Argentina, and if you see in google maps following their trajectory they used the interamericana highway

Two things, militia won't kill them because they are building it for the people and militia do care about their people, the road exist from the 1900s and one question are you talking about Colombia (country) or district of Columbia (DC) ? because if you are talking about Colombia and you speak that way well, get yourself bodyguards in Colombia

14. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Teknom....first, welcome to the forum.
    Second, here in the United States we typically call that route the "Pan-American Highway".
    Third, thanks for being the one to spell correctly "Colombia". We are horribly provincial in our knowledge of other lands. To someone from Bogotá, seeing "Columbia" is not unlike our having to see "U...S...of Amerika".
    Fourth, the prior posters were correct in that the Darién Gap is still roadless. Any wheeled vehicle that is going to make that drive - from Deadhorse AK on the Arctic Ocean, to Ushuaia in Tierra del Fuego, must board a boat - usually Panama City or Colón in Panama to Buenaventura or Cartagena in Colombia - in order to span the gap. Don't believe everything you see on Google Maps!

15. Treknom

Treknom Member

Ok thanks for the correction of the roads i understood that the panamerican highway was roadless BTW anyone trying this route should be Fast in Salvadpr/Honduras the crimes are very regular but theres a lot of police/military prescense i say this because of the firefights.

My only question is how they did it to charge in Central America

16. 772

772 Member

In some places, they wired directly into the breaker panel or sub panel:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=287733261378766&set=vb.283998118418947&type=2&theater

17. hobbes

hobbes Active Member

So did the trip officially end as they reached the Panama canal? No updates here or on facebook, hope everyone is safely (on the way) home?

Would be cool to see more pics and videos when you´re back!

18. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

Weren’t they both single? Maybe they’ve met two señoritas… :wink: