Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panasonic Cells from Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!
Are there any reports of the Model Y receiving the new Panasonic cells the 2021 Model 3 are running?

I would assume they are not going to interrupt the Q4 builds but curious if there is any reports for Q1. I am hoping to pull the trigger when this happens to squeeze a few more miles out of the battery pack.

Hi!
Are there any reports of the Model Y receiving the new Panasonic cells the 2021 Model 3 are running?

I would assume they are not going to interrupt the Q4 builds but curious if there is any reports for Q1. I am hoping to pull the trigger when this happens to squeeze a few more miles out of the battery pack.
Just keep watching this space and Electrek.co. Those are the first spots reports will show up. Honestly the switch could happen at any moment. The cells physically are the same dimensions, so it just depends how quickly they get manufacturing lines updated and when they can get them into the cars. I would expect ~80kWh would get you 15 to 20 more miles under the absolute ideal city driving speed and maybe 5 to 10 more miles at highway speeds.

Also Panasonic is promising a 20% higher energy density over the next 5 years and a plan for cobalt free cells. Sounds like they are continuing to closely collaborate with Tesla.

Last edited by a moderator:
People are saying the new batteries are slower than the old ones

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotor..._old/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Those aren’t the updated Panasonic ones though, that’s comparing LG Chem cells to Panasonic. I’m not sure if Model 3 switched to LG Chem in the US, but if they’re just using the upgraded Panasonic ones there shouldn’t be that huge of a difference, unless Tesla is “stress testing” in the wild first before opening them up to full potential...