Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panasonic Debuts Next-Gen Head-Up Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i am of the same camp... third/final reveal end of march, and its available in S/X immediately. there's no doubt that the cool stuff MUST go in S/X first - otherwise it would cannibalize sales. think about it, they announce this in March, and can then plan on selling 0 S/X vehicles until model 3 is out. i hadn't considered if it were standard or an option. feels like Tesla to put it into the premium package vs complete standalone.

HUD speculation is driving me nuts, as i have an X on order. It's going to get built right around early/mid march and feels like i am going to just miss out on it. i would delay but then miss the free supercharging. if i knew for sure there was something new that soon - i would skip the free supercharging.

i am of the same camp... third/final reveal end of march, and its available in S/X immediately. there's no doubt that the cool stuff MUST go in S/X first - otherwise it would cannibalize sales. think about it, they announce this in March, and can then plan on selling 0 S/X vehicles until model 3 is out. i hadn't considered if it were standard or an option. feels like Tesla to put it into the premium package vs complete standalone.

HUD speculation is driving me nuts, as i have an X on order. It's going to get built right around early/mid march and feels like i am going to just miss out on it. i would delay but then miss the free supercharging. if i knew for sure there was something new that soon - i would skip the free supercharging.

Don't worry about it. You'll be cancelling and reordering to get the 100D in February anyway. :p

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: cdub and Falkirk
Anyone else think that Tesla's partnership with Panasonic is going deeper then just battery technology? Maybe the M3 will not only have camera's for AP2.0, but also a few camera's for the augmented reality HUD system.

Edit: Forgot the link
CES 2017: Panasonic Debuts Next-Gen Head-Up Display

Thanks for the link.

But ew. That HUD is not impressive. There's also not a video or anything to showcase the product?

I do think it's interesting how there's no binnacle, kind of like how the 3 had no binnacle whatsoever.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
You mean like when the Model 3 Reveal 2 turned out to be a generic announcement of AP2 hardware availability for all vehicles?
Yep. That's my thought. Spring seems too early to have the final M3 reveal, if the car is not going to be available until the end of the year. So, one of two possibilities come to mind:
1. The schedule is pulled in, and Reveal 3 in the spring is showing off a completed car with deliveries starting in the fall (Ok, so we can dream, right?), or
2. Taking a clue from this thread, Reveal 3 in the spring is to show off the "spaceship" aspects that Elon hinted at, putting them in the MS / MX which are the lead tech cars. They'd be about due for a feature kick by then - AP2 will be fully up around that time, so what's next?. That then sets up for Reveal 4, when all the parts are about confirmed (the July 1 date), tooling is in place, and production starts to get finalized. They need some time for the beta cars to be out on the road in public, and they can't start that until the final Reveal. So, 3-6 months? That would put delivery in Q4, on time.

Prius site has:

Advanced Technology Package
Color Head-Up Display (HUD) with speedometer, navigation and Hybrid System Indicator and power tilt/slide moonroof with sliding sunshade

99891_20160121_HUD-Near_MPH.jpg
The 2010 Prius I have has the same thing, but monchrome and probably lower res. I don't think this was installed on the USA Prius though.

Personally, I'm still hoping for an inner windshield which is a transparent, curved AMOLED panel so that (faint) HUD graphics can appear across the entire windshield. Some could be used to track other vehicles with superimposed wireframe boxes etc.

The outer windshield is a conventional laminate which is cheap to replace if damaged.
That would also be visible for passengers, which would be very weird for them because it would only look correct from the point of view of the driver.

Reactions: alseTrick
If Model 3 has a HUD option when the first reservation holders can configure their cars, I am certain that S and X buyers will either have had a HUD as standard for months or have it been available as an options for months.

Completely agree. Remember when they had the "D" reveal event where they launched Model S with the "D" dual motor configuration option? Once the X was released, it became public that development of the D line of Model S came about from research/problem solving around creating the Model X. Or at least I remember reading articles to that effect...

Also the all-glass roof option that I'm pretty sure we first saw at the Model 3 reveal has now made its way into production Model S cars. If the 3 is getting a HUD, there's nothing to stop the S/X from getting it first. If they debuted it in March, and made it standard/available in Model S/X vehicles, that would give them roughly 6 months to iron out any kinks/problems in the relatively lower volume cars before launching the HUD elsewhere and having to deal with large recalls if something doesn't work as it should.

HUD is old a molasses. It does not work in all scenarios. It is pathetic in direct sunlight.

Tesla, Please Please continue your forward thinking. Don't reach back in the past to arcane technology.

This interior is amazingly inspiring for me....concerning screen technology and the future.

http://dp8hsntg6do36.cloudfront.net.../3e8fc7fb-e586-4fa0-8f97-42499798cbf7high.mp4

Please continue reaching toward the future. Great job at reveal 1 in keeping everything clear and clean in the M3.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
New HUD is old a molasses. It does not work in all scenarios. It is pathetic in direct sunlight.
It is always good to read information from someone who is informed as to the latest developments in HUD technology and is aware of everything Tesla is doing internallly in regards to driver display technology. Thanks for your post.

Wow, the HUD through the link was not impressive at all. It certainly is not the revolutionary HUD that some on this forum think will be in the 3. I think realistically we can expect a slightly more advanced display in the 3 but I'm not expecting earth shattering with what I've seen so far.

• Informative
Reactions: alseTrick and NicoV
That would also be visible for passengers, which would be very weird for them because it would only look correct from the point of view of the driver.

Unless you give the driver special glasses, any form of HUD is visible to passengers. :)

Wouldn't be a step forward if all it shows is the speedometer, odometer, battery level and sat nav waypoint.

The lack of instrument binnacles in the M3 prototypes suggests that AP information will be displayed elsewhere.

Unless you give the driver special glasses, any form of HUD is visible to passengers. :)

Actually that isn't necessarily true. My 6-series BMW has a HUD (which, by the way, is one of my favorite options!) and unless you are in the "back seat" and looking straight forward, the HUD is completely invisible to passengers. Front seat passenger has zero chance to see the HUD, even if they try (i.e. lean way over towards driver). If you are even a little (10-15° I'd guess) off of drivers centerline it's invisible.

Nice and clean. How much information does an EV driver need? Oil pressure? Engine Temp? RPMs? etc?

I like how the Toyota can display messages on the rear of the vehicle ("turning left..."). Maybe it can have a voice activated feature to display what you are yelling at the tailgater behind you!

I wonder if it would be censored... it may have to be...