TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Panasonic fined $56.5 million over conspiracy to fix prices

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by BenTesla, Jul 20, 2013.

1. BenTesla

BenTesla Member

2. evme

evme Member

Well first of all, in this case it sounds like their SANYO division is in trouble, not the Panasonic one.(for batteries at least). Panasonic seems to be on the hook for lighting equipment and other automotive parts.

To be honest, the 56 million is not that big of a fine and overall this is a good thing. Remember what happened to LCD prices after they busted them for price fixing? The price pretty much went down to half of what it was in 2 years. This may actually speed up the adoption of EVs and bring prices down.

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

$56 million is likely less than they pay their CEO. It won't put a dent in operations.

4. cloroxbb

cloroxbb Member

Wow, the eneloops were price fixed? I mean, $2 per AA battery really didn't break the bank for me... And they are still totally operable (I bought them back in 2008). Oh well, I seriously doubt this will have any effect on Tesla's operations.

5. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

The best comment pointed out the execs are going to jail because they did not commit enough fraud.

6. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

$56.1 million is insignificant to Panasonic. Their energy division alone made $6.1 billion of revenue last year (even though they had a net loss of $209 million). I'm sure their price fixing gave them way more profit than that.

What probably will result is a drop in battery prices, which would help Tesla.

7. BenTesla

BenTesla Member

OK thank you everyone for your replies. I think it makes more sense now that it's not 2am.

8. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Uh, no. If anything it may cause 18650 Li Ion cell prices to drop even more as price collusion between "rival" manufactures got busted.