Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panasonic invests $30M in Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if this will lower the cost of the battery packs or accelerate the introduction of the 300 mi pack.

It could. I wonder if Panasonic did this to entice Tesla to keep them as their main/only supplier?

Also, just for fun I did a bit of math regarding $30M worth of batteries if Tesla's battery cost is $300/kWh.

- $30M/$300/kWh = 100,000 kWh.
- The Roadster pack holds 53 kWh.
- 100,000 kWh/53 ≈ 1886 Roadster packs

Tesla has sold about 1,300 Roadsters but there is no way they paid $300/kWh until very recent Roadsters, if any. As such maybe it's safe to say Panasonic essentially reimbursed Tesla for all, or nearly all, their Roadster packs in exchange for 2% of Tesla.

This also (sorry for slight OT) puts Tesla's market evaluation at $1.5 Billion. :eek:

I wonder if Panasonic did this to entice Tesla to keep them as their main/only supplier?
Probably some truth to that. Over the next several years, new battery technologies will move from testing to production phase. Some of these will be in the form of larger cells and/or offer increased range at lighter weight. In order to remain competitive, Panasonic cannot focus solely on L-ion. Tesla however must also try and develop packs that will easily accept the new types of batteries.

Last edited:
Tesla however must also try and develop packs that will easily accept the new types of batteries.

In the "Model X" YouTube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cfHGDoniU0) Elon mentions at 2:53 that Tesla is "always looking at different chemistries." Tesla seemed to like the 18650 form factor due to economies of scale but I wonder if Tesla and Panasonic have been looking at different form factors for future (i.e. Roadster 3.0+, BlueStar, and beyond) vehicles.

Questions....could the $30 million dollars investment by Panasonic be a poly to become the lead supplier (stated earlier) of the packs for the Model S or are they making an attempt to garner Toyota's business as well?

If Panasonic develops a new type of battery or expands on the current capabilities, will Tesla Motor be first inline for this new technology?

Panasonic booth at CES 2011:
http://news.panasonic.net/archives/2011/0106_3676.html
01-wholescene.jpg

03-Tesla.jpg

Hey TEG,
What was being said about the Model S on the monitor next to the Tesla rep?

I think it is a slideshow talking about batteries to be supplied for Model S and such.

Related press release:
http://www.technology.am/tesla-panasonic-team-111202.html
...Panasonic will be teaming up with Tesla Motors to expand next-generation nickel-based lithium ion battery cells for electric vehicles, together companies announced Thursday. “Combining Tesla’s meticulous cell testing and understanding of EV requirements with Panasonic’s cutting-edge battery technology will result in custom cells optimized for use in EVs,” JB Straubel, Tesla’s chief technology officer, said in a statement...

If Tesla can really buy their batteries for $300 per kilowatthour, then their 160 mile battery pack costs less than $12K. That means they are
buying cells at less than $2.30 apiece. Seems unlikely, but if true, would presumably make their 300 mile
option cost around $11K over standard, and their 230 mile option around $5K.

Yes Bikester, $300 per kilowatthour does seem high. Since Tesla will be Panasonic's third largest customer they are sure to get that done to $150 KWR or so. Thank you for pointing out that error. You are so helpful.