Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panasonic plans to boost the energy density of “2170” battery cells by 20% in 5 years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20% over 5 years? Hmmm thats actually not mind blowing but might make way for 400mile cars. Can they take enough cycles to do a million miles? Do they suffer from as much degradation would probably be better news. Its gains all the same. FSD in 2020 should outshine this :)

I'm sad this article didn't get more attention, as it's probably the most reserved (and thus hopefully realistic) target/forecast/hope I've heard for Tesla batteries.

It's not clear to me if the no-cobalt and 20% more dense batteries are actually the same goal, or if these will be different cells. Though later in the article they're implied to be target in one chemistry. That would be interesting for sure.

All the other specs of a battery will be interesting (cycle count, thermal effects, etc.). Tesla wouldn't use it of course if it wasn't a win to their agenda, and these targets are specifically for the 2170 cells for Tesla. I can't help but think these will come at some other cost (perhaps literally cost in dollars).

All else held equal, this should provide Long Range Model 3s with a bit more than 625km of range, or 390mi or so. Of course, I don't expect all else to be equal.

Personally, to me, this means there isn't game-changing news around the corner. Makes sense. The only huge change to mass-manufacture batteries in the last decade (maybe two? more?) has been cost.

All else held equal, this should provide Long Range Model 3s with a bit more than 625km of range, or 390mi or so. Of course, I don't expect all else to be equal.

Another option is to use less cells and maintain more or less the range we have today, maybe leaning toward giving a little more range to the car. This could help drive down the cost of the car and increase profit margins.

Of course they could do both, given Elon's comments about a 300-mile min. Maybe they'll be offer as such for the base model and have the 390mi+ version on the higher end.

Another option is to use less cells and maintain more or less the range we have today, maybe leaning toward giving a little more range to the car. This could help drive down the cost of the car and increase profit margins.

Of course they could do both, given Elon's comments about a 300-mile min. Maybe they'll be offer as such for the base model and have the 390mi+ version on the higher end.
I think your first idea is actually more likely if nothing changes on the S/X front in those years. Being able to fit a ~90kWh in the Model 3 puts it in "competition" with the S. This isn't necessarily bad, but it does eliminate a differentiation between the two main lines. It actually makes the Model 3/Y much more competent of a road tripper if those new capacities can retain the same edge in charge speeds, since they already have an advantage in that area over S/X.

I can also dream that it opens the door for a "Model 2" hatchback or something, which is what I actually really want. Both my dream and your idea require these to actually be better in terms of $/kWh, not just kWh/L.

I read somewhere on this forum that the power density of a Tesla battery is around 1 kWh per 6 kg. Scientists are working hard on halving that ratio. Anyone any idea that the 1 kWh per 1 kg will be achievable?

Would be pure speculation. Even this conservative estimate of a 20% improvement in 5 years is speculation, though it does come with a lot more weight to it.