Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panasonic v LG Batteries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We’re in the same situation. MiC LRs have LG batteries that charge slower than the Panasonic batteries.
Had that in mind as well, so shared the tweet here as well. But our car is made in Fremont not china.
On the flip side, at least you can (and should) charge to 100% without fear of degradation or whatever.
The LG battery is not a LFP battery. It's a nickel-rich lithium ion battery (NCM 811). Therefore the same charging limit like panasonic batteries.

I’ve been following that thread, which caused me to cancel my LR order that was due for collection next week.

I think UK consumers are kept in the dark regarding the battery differences due to the lack of documentation (ie Certificate of conformity) that comes with the vehicle. Ignorance is (probably) bliss.
My certificate was on the passenger seat, on the day of delivery...

On the flip side, at least you can (and should) charge to 100% without fear of degradation or whatever.

Different issue .. different manufacturers ...

CATL : MIC new models can charge to 100% willy nilly (the battery in new MIC SR+ only not any other Model 3)
Panasonic: recommended no more than 90% unless special trip
LG: recommended no more than 90% unless special trip

So do you recommend cancelling order?
I'm due to receive M3 LR AWD MiC in September. I know the last shipment of LR from the US got soft lock batteries to 75kWh.
but I'm worried that in the future when range will improve, Tesla will remove the soft lock for the US one which will place me in a disadvantage.
not to mention the slow charging speeds compared to the US one.

So do you recommend cancelling order?
I'm due to receive M3 LR AWD MiC in September. I know the last shipment of LR from the US got soft lock batteries to 75kWh.
but I'm worried that in the future when range will improve, Tesla will remove the soft lock for the US one which will place me in a disadvantage.
not to mention the slow charging speeds compared to the US one.
What makes you think they’re soft locked? EU cars in Europe built in Fremont with the 82kwh battery have a longer range the the MiC LR built in China with the smaller battery.

So RSEV have just done a comparison, I assume the older Model 3 is equivalent to a new LR from China and the newer would be a LR from Freemont with the newer battery.

Realistically it's all just rounding errors right now, slightly faster charging on the older battery. Maybe TEsla will unlock something else on the newer battery, maybe they won't. There's little point trying to guess.

Reactions: browellm
So RSEV have just done a comparison, I assume the older Model 3 is equivalent to a new LR from China and the newer would be a LR from Freemont with the newer battery.

Realistically it's all just rounding errors right now, slightly faster charging on the older battery. Maybe TEsla will unlock something else on the newer battery, maybe they won't. There's little point trying to guess.

Dreadful…

U.K. don’t get the 82kwh battery in the LR
And he forgets the heat pump in the refresh

He mentions the head pump near the end, certainly doesn't seem to offer much benefit cooling in the heat during that test but should be more noticeable when heating during cold weather.
I have up before then, after he talked about double glazed front windows (they’re not, they’re laminated which is a big difference), and the battery being wrong.

if you look at the Tesla website and convert the LR range to KM you’ll see it’s a fair bit behind the same car in France or any mainland country- that’s because they get the bigger battery. The battery codes also give it away.

May 2021 M3, LR, AWD.
No idea which battery type I have.

I have charged to 90% this evening.
I normally have the display showing %, not range, but thought I'd see what it is suggesting.
307 miles.
So from 0 to 100% might be considered to be 341 miles.
But in the real world, 90% to 10% suggests 273 miles.
OK, they claim 360 miles, but this is as meaningless as all other fuel consumption information.

The UK Tesla website says 360 miles. The Norwegian Tesla website, obviously shows in kms, but when converting to miles it comes out at 380.

Ev Database says the Model 3 variant with the Panasonic battery is not available in the UK.

I've spent the past 2 years driving a 2019 Model 3 SR+ and I've recently put in an order for a Model 3 LR of my own very own, estimated delivery September. I dearly want it to be the Panasonic battery as 20 miles extra range makes a big difference for long trips when you're not near a charger.