Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panasonic v LG Batteries

Matt125

Dec 21, 2016
UK
Are there that many long trips you would make when you wouldn't pass several superchargers anyway? An extra 20 miles (theoretical, in any event) doesn't add up to much extra time on a supercharger.

I know what you mean, but a higher capacity also gives me more at the bottom of the battery and potentially could improve my charging speed.

I'm going to be paying a lot of money for the car and would hate to think I've been short changed compared to what others can get.

HenryT

Jan 29, 2020
Manchester
I know what you mean, but a higher capacity also gives me more at the bottom of the battery and potentially could improve my charging speed.

I'm going to be paying a lot of money for the car and would hate to think I've been short changed compared to what others can get.
I think you might be overthinking it Matt. You are talking about what amounts to around a 5% difference in the battery capacity. As you will have seen with your current car, there are so many other factors that can make a bigger than 5% difference in your economy / efficiency on a given journey anyway, that in the bigger picture the extra 5% will make next to no difference. Turn off the AC, drive 5 mph slower, get closer to the truck in front, etc, etc.

There is every probability anyway that some time while you have your new car Musk will change the range calculations again and you will get a higher imaginary range anyway.

Either way, enjoy your new car when you get it.

Matt125

Dec 21, 2016
UK
I think you might be overthinking it Matt. You are talking about what amounts to around a 5% difference in the battery capacity. As you will have seen with your current car, there are so many other factors that can make a bigger than 5% difference in your economy / efficiency on a given journey anyway, that in the bigger picture the extra 5% will make next to no difference. Turn off the AC, drive 5 mph slower, get closer to the truck in front, etc, etc.

There is every probability anyway that some time while you have your new car Musk will change the range calculations again and you will get a higher imaginary range anyway.

Either way, enjoy your new car when you get it.

Agreed. I've been reading too many exciting articles about the Panasonic pack and the new LG packs being put into the MIC Model Y and I'm losing my head a little! I'm still hoping for the newer pack but it isn't a must.

HenryT

Jan 29, 2020
Manchester
Agreed. I've been reading too many exciting articles about the Panasonic pack and the new LG packs being put into the MIC Model Y and I'm losing my head a little! I'm still hoping for the newer pack but it isn't a must.
Don't forget, you're missing out on the 46/80 batteries too, and the Model Y isn't out yet, and the made in Berlin cars will probably be better....

(Just some of the thoughts I had too, while waiting for mine) ;)

Matt125

Dec 21, 2016
UK
Don't forget, you're missing out on the 46/80 batteries too, and the Model Y isn't out yet, and the made in Berlin cars will probably be better....

(Just some of the thoughts I had too, while waiting for mine) ;)

Yeah, I've made my peace with that :D I'm losing my current car in September and I don't fancy waiting 6 months to a year without a Tesla just for the sake of the bigger batteries - which will be prioritised for the Y anyway!

I also know that the Model 3 seems to hold its value despite the 2021 refresh so the one I'm getting in September should be holding its value too. In a couple of years, if Tesla do another big refresh I can hopefully swap my car for a newer one. As is always the case with tech, you pick the carousel horse to jump onto, knowing that the next horse after will always be better in some way - but you've still got to jump on!

DrJFoster

Aug 27, 2019
UK
The UK Tesla website says 360 miles. The Norwegian Tesla website, obviously shows in kms, but when converting to miles it comes out at 380.

Ev Database says the Model 3 variant with the Panasonic battery is not available in the UK.

I've spent the past 2 years driving a 2019 Model 3 SR+ and I've recently put in an order for a Model 3 LR of my own very own, estimated delivery September. I dearly want it to be the Panasonic battery as 20 miles extra range makes a big difference for long trips when you're not near a charger.
To add more detail/colour/confusion (delete as appropriate), there are more details here than ev database, and E3LD doesn't seem to appear anywhere in Teslas configuration unlike the model codes and battery codes.

At the end of the day. you don't have a choice other than to buy or not buy, I don't think waiting is going to change things. The LFP battery in the SR+ was originally a problem when it came to cold weather charging and most of that got sorted out in software, and the the M3P with the BT42 battery (as used in the european LR cars) had a lot of reported cold weather performance issues too. I think you just have to trust if there's an issue, they'll find a way around it in time.

Reactions: Matt125

Kenners

Sep 29, 2019
London
I thought the larger 82kwh Panasonic batteries were in the Performance (being new battery at the time with higher energy density and not being built at the volumes needed to put in all the cars being made) and the old Panasonic 75kwh or 72kwh was put in the LR refresh from Fremont (the refresh sans heated steering wheel) before they started shipping the MIC ones shortly afterwards. And the MIC cars are the 72/5kwh LG packs, which people complain about.

Would love to know if I am wrong about the LR refresh from Fremont being the 75kwh-ish Panasonic, as if it’s software locked I can charge it to higher level without killing my the battery.

I always thought the P60 S was a good deal as you could just charge to 100% rather than paying to unlock to 75 and charging to 80%! (I might be wrong about that too!)

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC