Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panasonic v LG Batteries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Potted history..

The M3 LR and Performance have had
BT37 the original ~75kwh pana battery
BT38 the ~75kwh lg battery
BT42 the pana ~82kwh battery
BT43 the unknown, probably LG, ~ 82kwh battery

If you find your car in mytesla and look at the html you’ll find the battery code for your car but roughly..

They were all BT37 when MIA until the last year

When MIC LR started the MIA LR and P changed to BT42 and the MIC LR used the BT38.

There was a delay in MIC M3P (no Q2 deliveries of MIC P cars) until the BT42 battery was available in China. The MIC LR continued with the BT38

Europe have had a mix of MIA and MIC LR cars, and following the logic above, the MIC have the BT38 battery and consequently smaller capacity and range than the later MIA LR cars. U.K. have never had a 82kwh LR option (although could be about to change) as we switched to MIC before MIA switched to the BT42 battery

They’re now starting to use BT43 in MIC LR, at least they’ve been spotted heading to Australia

So there have only been 4 batteries and until a few weeks ago there were only 3.

The SR+ has a different history but again only 3 batteries have been used, all of smaller capacity.

I know only those:

BT35​
50 kWh (Model 3/Y) Pre 2021 Panasonic cells​
Model 3 Standart Range​
BT36​
60 kWh (Model 3/Y) Pre 2021 Panasonic cells​
Model 3 Mid Range​
BT37​
75 kWh (Model 3/Y) Pre 2021 Panasonic cells​
2017-03.2021 LR+P Model 3/Y (Mostly Fremont build)​
BT38​
74 kWh (Model 3/Y) LG cells​
M3/MY LR/Dual build in China​
BT41​
55? kWh 2021 Panasonic?​
M3 Standart Plus 2021 model year​
BT42​
82 kWh (Model 3/Y) 2021 Panasonic​
M3P (and latest LR) 2021 model year​
BTF0​
55 kWh (Model 3) 2020 CATL Prismatic​
M3 Standard+ China made LFP and Q4.2021 M3 Stdr+ USA​
BTF1​
60 kWh (Model 3) 2021 CATL Prismatic​
M3 Standard+ China made LFP​

I never saw BT43 option. Do you have VIN example? If so, please send VIN to PM, will check what is that.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
So I have a MIC Model 3 LR arriving which I ordered on 02/10/2021. I am due to pick the car up on Saturday in the UK.

I got the spec sheet aka Certificate of Conformity for it today and it states the Battery is:

Car Manufacturing date: 16/10/2021
Variant: E5CD
Version: BGb1s5N (from what i know this is a LG 77kWh Battery)
Range: 580km (360 Miles)

I called Tesla today and asked them to check if other cars which are being picked up in Decemer onwards and were made AFTER 01/11/2021 aka as the 2022 Model 3 Long Range will hve a different Battery spec etc. The guy checked this for me and went through a few certificates and said that all the information on those cars and specification for the Long Range is the same as mine. E5CD Battery.

Does anyone know any different?

can you confirm what the E5CD battery is and whether the variant is different etc?

I really wanted the 82kWh battery, my choice are to cancel and wait or just take this one. Also my car is classed as a 2021 Model 3 Long Range, if it had been built 2 weeks later 01/11/2021 it would have been classed as a 2022 Model 3 Long Range.

any insights appreciated, Thanks.
That is BT38 likely

Version: BGb1s5N (from what i know this is a LG 77kWh Battery), but 74kWh usable

You have no warranty on batteries delivered in cars now.
only performance have 82kWh
check the latest photo
Q4 is bit incorrect, but better to understand that currently, tesla adds to vehicles everything that is paid.
061d0bc4ad49e949a6840874e15809a83d619fe5.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
I know only those:

BT35​
50 kWh (Model 3/Y) Pre 2021 Panasonic cells​
Model 3 Standart Range​
BT36​
60 kWh (Model 3/Y) Pre 2021 Panasonic cells​
Model 3 Mid Range​
BT37​
75 kWh (Model 3/Y) Pre 2021 Panasonic cells​
2017-03.2021 LR+P Model 3/Y (Mostly Fremont build)​
BT38​
74 kWh (Model 3/Y) LG cells​
M3/MY LR/Dual build in China​
BT41​
55? kWh 2021 Panasonic?​
M3 Standart Plus 2021 model year​
BT42​
82 kWh (Model 3/Y) 2021 Panasonic​
M3P (and latest LR) 2021 model year​
BTF0​
55 kWh (Model 3) 2020 CATL Prismatic​
M3 Standard+ China made LFP and Q4.2021 M3 Stdr+ USA​
BTF1​
60 kWh (Model 3) 2021 CATL Prismatic​
M3 Standard+ China made LFP​

I never saw BT43 option. Do you have VIN example? If so, please send VIN to PM, will check what is that.

You can see them here and in various other European countries. The model 3 buyers guide on the same website shows all the mappings

You can see them here and in various other European countries. The model 3 buyers guide on the same website shows all the mappings

2021M3LRLG 5C79BT43From Nov2021
yeah, confirmed 79kWh

I’ve been following that thread, which caused me to cancel my LR order that was due for collection next week.

I think UK consumers are kept in the dark regarding the battery differences due to the lack of documentation (ie Certificate of conformity) that comes with the vehicle. Ignorance is (probably) bliss.
I think it was a mistake to cancel (driver of an LG based M3 LR for one year). I did 25.000 Km with that car this year, no problems and battery degradation seems to be around 2% and in addition, Tesla just boosted the charging power constantly by 20-25kw all the way between 10-80% SOC.

GOOD NEWS! - Tesla increased charging speed on LG battery E5D based vehicles!

Reactions: Oxstock and MrT3
I think it was a mistake to cancel (driver of an LG based M3 LR for one year). I did 25.000 Km with that car this year, no problems and battery degradation seems to be around 2% and in addition, Tesla just boosted the charging power constantly by 20-25kw all the way between 10-80% SOC.

GOOD NEWS! - Tesla increased charging speed on LG battery E5D based vehicles!
Whey heyyyy they took their time didn’t they?

Just got it myself

BD8E8D32-7B97-47D9-BD73-2630E61E8373.jpeg

Just got it myself

View attachment 746631It looks like they release it already in 2021.40.6 (I’m still on that version) yet, they made it public on the release note of 2021.44.5/6.

Just got it myself

View attachment 746631
View attachment 746631

It looks like they release it already in 2021.40.6 (I’m still on that version) yet, they made it public on the release note of 2021.44.5/6 only. Enjoy!

Is it my confusion here but with that exchange it’s £10,000 cheaper in Norway!?

I thought it might be time for a little update to the MiC LG75 debate...I realize that the buying dilemma is actually over because the M3LR is no longer supplied with the LG75...but I have the LG75 so I might as well comment...if this gets regularly updated then we can see if there is any long term trends worth noting...after over 7500 km (4660 miles) in nearly 8 months...mostly small town driving but some small cities and some highway...my car has a range of 545 km or greater (>339 miles) (in fact there is, as yet, no degradation). I do occasionally charge up to 100% before a trip, so the range is not speculation. I almost always charge at home off a normal (230v 13amp) domestic socket. I have supercharged a couple of times...but I have yet to find a working V3 or even a fast V2 so I don’t have any useful data to add. In fact because I actually get the full 339 miles range (my car is averaging 135wh per kilometer or 217wh per mile) I can do nearly all my journeys on a single charge.
I am, so far touch wood, very happy with the car😀

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Paige111
I thought it might be time for a little update to the MiC LG75 debate...I realize that the buying dilemma is actually over because the M3LR is no longer supplied with the LG75...but I have the LG75 so I might as well comment...if this gets regularly updated then we can see if there is any long term trends worth noting...after over 7500 km (4660 miles) in nearly 8 months...mostly small town driving but some small cities and some highway...my car has a range of 545 km or greater (>339 miles) (in fact there is, as yet, no degradation). I do occasionally charge up to 100% before a trip, so the range is not speculation. I almost always charge at home off a normal (230v 13amp) domestic socket. I have supercharged a couple of times...but I have yet to find a working V3 or even a fast V2 so I don’t have any useful data to add. In fact because I actually get the full 339 miles range (my car is averaging 135wh per kilometer or 217wh per mile) I can do nearly all my journeys on a single charge.
I think there is a typo in your efficiency figures… that or you have a VERY heavy right foot 😉

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it might be time for a little update to the MiC LG75 debate...I realize that the buying dilemma is actually over because the M3LR is no longer supplied with the LG75...but I have the LG75 so I might as well comment...if this gets regularly updated then we can see if there is any long term trends worth noting...after over 7500 km (4660 miles) in nearly 8 months...mostly small town driving but some small cities and some highway...my car has a range of 545 km or greater (>339 miles) (in fact there is, as yet, no degradation). I do occasionally charge up to 100% before a trip, so the range is not speculation. I almost always charge at home off a normal (230v 13amp) domestic socket. I have supercharged a couple of times...but I have yet to find a working V3 or even a fast V2 so I don’t have any useful data to add. In fact because I actually get the full 339 miles range (my car is averaging 135kwh per kilometer or 217kwh per mile) I can do nearly all my journeys on a single charge.
Thanks -thats good to know- what yr is your car ? Ive had my car for approx 8 months w/approx 8K miles -Im on freeway most of the time -my range increased slightly the past couple days :) its @ 352 ml :) maybe the increase was from the acceleration boost recovery ( my range went down to 348-I had to return acceleration boost) Well thanks for update :) I wanted the Y, but want the increased range on 3

Thanks -thats good to know- what yr is your car ? Ive had my car for approx 8 months w/approx 8K miles -Im on freeway most of the time -my range increased slightly the past couple days :) its @ 352 ml :) maybe the increase was from the acceleration boost recovery ( my range went down to 348-I had to return acceleration boost) Well thanks for update :) I wanted the Y, but want the increased range on 3
It’s a Made in China M3LR LG75 delivered September 2021… can I add for fairness sake that I was given a €2000 discount because of the battery…and in fact, if I recall correctly, I saved another €1000 because the early delivery meant I was entitled to a government subsidy

It’s a Made in China M3LR LG75 delivered September 2021… can I add for fairness sake that I was given a €2000 discount because of the battery…and in fact, if I recall correctly, I saved another €1000 because the early delivery meant I was entitled to a government subsidy
Saving this for the next (inevitable) "But Tesla never give discounts!" comment I see...

Reactions: Bouba