Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pandemic response, Oregon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wow... just wow. I don’t want to get argumentative but this whole “pandemic” story stinks. Its disease being now used for pure evil IMO.

Absolutely. We have three rural counties in Oregon with 0 cases. Not only 0 deaths, but 0 cases. At a bare minimum these businesses should be allowed to reopen and the vulnerable could choose to stay home if they feel so inclined. But it's outrageous that many of these people should lose their livelihoods and businesses.

Absolutely. We have three rural counties in Oregon with 0 cases. Not only 0 deaths, but 0 cases. At a bare minimum these businesses should be allowed to reopen and the vulnerable could choose to stay home if they feel so inclined. But it's outrageous that many of these people should lose their livelihoods and businesses.

I agree it’s a tragedy, but you might consider that those 3 counties could have 0 deaths because of the lockdown. That’s the nature of pandemic suppression measures — it’s only after you relax those measures and deaths skyrocket that you know those measures were working, as some rural counties are finding out:

https://www.usnews.com/news/healthi...deaths-growing-at-faster-rates-in-rural-areas

We have zero deaths by trains hitting children because we don't allow them to play on the tracks.

I can hardly wait to go back to Seaside, Or.... but if waiting a while keeps the number at zero...

We have zero deaths by trains hitting children because we don't allow them to play on the tracks.

I can hardly wait to go back to Seaside, Or.... but if waiting a while keeps the number at zero...
By now we should have been a lot further along in getting through this…
Unfortunately were living in “UnPresidented” times in the U.S.
(No that’s not a misspelling of unprecedented)

I agree it’s a tragedy, but you might consider that those 3 counties could have 0 deaths because of the lockdown. That’s the nature of pandemic suppression measures — it’s only after you relax those measures and deaths skyrocket that you know those measures were working, as some rural counties are finding out:

https://www.usnews.com/news/healthi...deaths-growing-at-faster-rates-in-rural-areas
that is just stupid. that logic also says we should stay closed forever.

how long if it is already at 0?

Nice it's at zero. Our numbers are small, too. But I am not intelligence challenged enough to think that coming into contact (even getting to Seaside, Or) that I will not carry something there that you may not want.

Zero does not mean invulnerable. Just means that you may be added to the list next.
Sorry for going off topic

Reactions: RocketMan88
that is just stupid. that logic also says we should stay closed forever.

lol well there is an argument to that, no exposure means no chance of getting it. However, the economy cannot survive that approach. We have to find a balance. A colleague of mine made a good analogy. The speed limit is 60mph because that’s the next balance of risk to human life and speed for business to happen. We have to find the safe/sweet spot where minimal lives are lost and business can still survive and hopefully thrive again. Looking forward to hopefully going to seaside in late July.

Reactions: RocketMan88
“We applied for the PPP (Paycheck Protection Program) and heard nothing back from our bank or from anyone,”

They needed a new bank. I know a company that applied and got the money in less than a week. I don't know how much will end up being forgiven but the loan allocated enough for 8 weeks of payroll and rent as promised by law.

If they operated at half capacity it would definitely bridge the gap between having one unprofitable cook and nothing. I suspect though they saw the writing on the wall that road travel will be down substantially this summer so it may not make sense to re-open just in time for the off-season, especially if they are nearing retirement in the next couple years anyway.

There is a restaurant in the same straight in my home town. They definitely qualify for assistance but if they don't build up a profit war-chest through tourist season, they won't make it through the winter.