Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panel Gap - Is this within spec?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took receipt of my MY today! Two questions for other MY owners:

1. Rear door panel does not appear flush with trim. Is this within spec? I do plan on raising this with Service to have them look into it. I compared it to another brand new MY parked right next to mine, and theirs looked much more flush. Is this easily adjusted by them?

2. When clicking on the open-door button, does the door pop open slightly, or do you need to press the button AND push? One of the rear doors will pop open upon pressing the button. The other rear door, you HAVE to press the button AND push out (otherwise it won't open because the latch does not feel fully released). Which behavior is "normal"? (The SA mentioned that he has to push out on his personal car).

Pics of rear door panel:
Tesla - panel1.jpg
Telsa - panel 2.jpg

Everything else seems okay so far.

The door pops when you push the button.

That gap looks fine to me.
re: door
One of my doors you have to press the button 2x to get it to fully pop, or press + push out. So, that seems abnormal. All the other doors in the car are not like that.

re: gap
I can't edit my original post anymore, but for anyone else reading - i'm less concerned about the gap, but was asking more about the first photo posted (on the left, when looking from behind), and the panel sticks out slightly from where the trim is.

Thanks all.

Yeah I have a similar issue. I got delivery of my model Y and had panel gap with trunk. I took it in to Tesla service and they could see it too. They kept the car for two weeks and then came back and said “there was a minor adjustment and it’s within spec. One side is 2mm (passenger side) the other is 4.5mm and the tolerance is within 2.5mm”. See pictures. Am I crazy?

Attachments

• 99F9F234-A6EF-4734-9604-C3A72FDEC4FE.jpeg
    99F9F234-A6EF-4734-9604-C3A72FDEC4FE.jpeg
    384.2 KB · Views: 724
  • 765683A6-944E-4B85-B2DE-C10CF4F44944.jpeg
    765683A6-944E-4B85-B2DE-C10CF4F44944.jpeg
    337.7 KB · Views: 739
Hi Electric - i just noticed that i have the same issue on my trunk. Just wondering if they ever fixed the issue?
Yes they can fix it. The ones in the garage are before. The ones with the wet car are after. Double check the hinges before you leave though because mine were in bad shape.

Attachments

• 22B1586A-E69F-4018-9243-1359BD49B273.jpeg
    22B1586A-E69F-4018-9243-1359BD49B273.jpeg
    200.3 KB · Views: 668
  • AC2F1077-4678-4A18-8DD0-16A2B5233B6B.jpeg
    AC2F1077-4678-4A18-8DD0-16A2B5233B6B.jpeg
    211.2 KB · Views: 612
  • B271F036-3E86-4991-AA00-C7B5121497BE.jpeg
    B271F036-3E86-4991-AA00-C7B5121497BE.jpeg
    508.3 KB · Views: 609
  • D8B2CB12-6703-4FFE-8A3D-63077A6EDA1F.jpeg
    D8B2CB12-6703-4FFE-8A3D-63077A6EDA1F.jpeg
    470.1 KB · Views: 606
  • 595D3A5D-E81B-47B7-97F9-EA94760FCA71.jpeg
    595D3A5D-E81B-47B7-97F9-EA94760FCA71.jpeg
    212.4 KB · Views: 602
  • 12B2CA07-6B90-4C32-AD39-F3D22E2AA719.jpeg
    12B2CA07-6B90-4C32-AD39-F3D22E2AA719.jpeg
    226.3 KB · Views: 641
Yeah I have a similar issue. I got delivery of my model Y and had panel gap with trunk. I took it in to Tesla service and they could see it too. They kept the car for two weeks and then came back and said “there was a minor adjustment and it’s within spec. One side is 2mm (passenger side) the other is 4.5mm and the tolerance is within 2.5mm”. See pictures. Am I crazy?
I have the same trunk gap issue on my 2 week old 2022 MYP (no AMD cpu in the infotainment).

I fixed my trunk panel gap which was similar to the photo posted here. Fix was adjusting the rubber stoppers in interior of lift gate. My passenger side had barely any gap & driver side had large gap. I evened it out and they now have same amount of gap and looks more visually pleasing. There are many threads about adjusting the stoppers in this forum.

I fixed my trunk panel gap which was similar to the photo posted here. Fix was adjusting the rubber stoppers in interior of lift gate. My passenger side had barely any gap & driver side had large gap. I evened it out and they now have same amount of gap and looks more visually pleasing. There are many threads about adjusting the stoppers in this forum.
Ok. While adjusting the rubber stoppers did add some gap to the side of trunk which had no gap at all , the other side with a huge gap couldn’t be corrected via the stoppers. I took the car to tesla to get some other gaps/panel alignments corrected and showed them the trunk/lift gate. they said it was not in spec and sent my car to a nearby Tesla approved body shop which according to Yelp is highly rated. I’ll get the car back next Friday. 😬

Ok. While adjusting the rubber stoppers did add some gap to the side of trunk which had no gap at all , the other side with a huge gap couldn’t be corrected via the stoppers. I took the car to tesla to get some other gaps/panel alignments corrected and showed them the trunk/lift gate. they said it was not in spec and sent my car to a nearby Tesla approved body shop which according to Yelp is highly rated. I’ll get the car back next Friday. 😬
@ElectricAnt54 How did it go?

@spacedroid

While my car was being driven from body shop back to tesla service center, some electrical warnings appeared and tesla wanted to hang on to my car until they figure out the issues. A few days ago they said they think they know the cause of the electrical issues, a bad front left body controller. Tesla had already tried putting in a new 12V battery. A new body controller board is being ordered but eta is unknown. Tesla offered me a loaner 2019 model s with free supercharging As well as complementary touching up my scraped rim Paint as well as taking the car to the nearby touchless car wash machine. While picking up the loaner, I took a look at my model Y body work and it seemed like the body shop addressed some of my major concerns very well. As well as addressing the issue Tesla said was in spec. Hard to see if the fixes introduced new misalignments because the car was filthy since it had been sitting next to Los angles’s very busy 405 freeway for a while But looked very promising & the body shop is well respected. 🤞

Reactions: spacedroid
@spacedroid
I got my 2022 MYP back today. Drove all over Los Angeles and had no electrical warnings. In my case it seems the front left body controller was the culprit for the electrical system warnings and why the car would shut down.
The body shop Tesla outsourced to, Jim and Jack's Collision Center - El Segundo, did an amazing job fixing my car's 4 panel alignment / gap issues. The car has hardly any rattle and vibration sounds too other than road noise due to the 21" low profile sports tires which is normal. I'll end up getting 19 inch rims with tires that have higher sidewall at some point for long distance travels. I'll assemble a before and after montage during the weekend. Besides body work, I had some loose plastic panels in the trunk interior where the subwoofer is located which would vibrate against each other when driving. I think they put some tape between the panels so they would be less prone to vibration. Combined with the liftgate / trunk adjustment, I 'm not hearing constant rattles and vibration sounds. I suspect the liftgate was also a source noise. Also when I go over a big bump in the road, I hear a bit of rattle & vibration sound but not before which sounded as if a drummer in a rock band was performing in the car.
Tesla service center also said they'd touch up one of my 21" rims where I had hit a curb a day after taking delivery. The rim's metal was bent and ugly as well as paint missing. When I got my car the rim was like new again. No sign the metal had ben bent at all. I wonder if they gave me a new rim..doubt it..but great touchup if they didn't give me a new rim.
They also gave me a loaner Model S 75D after my car had been in the shop for 1.5 weeks.

Reactions: spacedroid
Body shop was Jim & Jack's Collision Center in El Segundo, California. They did an *amazing* job fixing 4 panel misalignments on my new 2022 MYP. Tesla covered the adjustments under warranty and sent the car to the body shop. Took body shop about 1.5 weeks. Below are two before and after photos. I had 4 issues corrected. I do not have a before and after of the driver door curved features not matching passenger door's features and driver door seemed to stick out from car's body a bit. The trunk/liftgate gap was enormous on one side and totally misaligned. Other side had the tiniest amount of gap seemed like it would hit the other panels around it even. Both of these issues were corrected and look like a quality fit and finish.
driver_pass.jpg

pass_side.jpg