Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The latest TMC Podcast (#14) is now available on YouTube and all major podcast networks. We covered FSD Beta's exciting v11 update, Enhanced Autopilot coming to the U.S. and Canada, and more!

Panel Gaps, Burbank service, nightmare

Just came back from visiting the Burbank SC as I dropped of my Model S loaner. Service quick and stellar and with a smile and genuine helpfulness as always. Did exactly what I brought it in for. Apparently your mileage may vary on this SC. But for me, they're the best SC I've ever visited
Took my car to get multiple items addressed. Most items were not even attempted and did not appear on the post service comments/invoice. One item was a nail in tire. Before my appointment I took car to local tire shop and they saw the nail was just stuck between treads and even handed me the nail. I inspected tire when it was off for additional nails. None found. I told Burbank SC when I met in person to remove the nail in tire item from the list. I was totally surprised that the list of completed work included removing a nail and adding a tire patch although no nail existed in the tire.

Just came back from visiting the Burbank SC as I dropped of my Model S loaner. Service quick and stellar and with a smile and genuine helpfulness as always. Did exactly what I brought it in for. Apparently your mileage may vary on this SC. But for me, they're the best SC I've ever visited in all my years of owning any car.
Burbank is also the busiest in USA they claim. I live 3 minutes away but next available appointment is March 1,2022. Over a month! I have some brake issues and got an appointment in west Los Angeles 5 days from now. Was surprised all other valley area service centers were booked till march…or it could be omicron affecting availability…damned global pandemic.

DelPhonic1

Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Burbank
Burbank is also the busiest in USA they claim. I live 3 minutes away but next available appointment is March 1,2022. Over a month! I have some brake issues and got an appointment in west Los Angeles 5 days from now. Was surprised all other valley area service centers were booked till march…or it could be omicron affecting availability…damned global pandemic.
They booked pretty far out, but when I was there, they seemed fairly relaxed as far as pace-- which is just what you want. Some parts counter/service personnel seemed to not have much going on. Maybe they've opted to space their appts out. Either way, I'm quite satisfied.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Took my car to get multiple items addressed. Most items were not even attempted and did not appear on the post service comments/invoice. One item was a nail in tire. Before my appointment I took car to local tire shop and they saw the nail was just stuck between treads and even handed me the nail. I inspected tire when it was off for additional nails. None found. I told Burbank SC when I met in person to remove the nail in tire item from the list. I was totally surprised that the list of completed work included removing a nail and adding a tire patch although no nail existed in the tire.
Took my car to another Tesla Service Center (SC) on Centinela in Los Angeles. They saw the panel gaps & misalignments and agreed that 3 of my 4 issues were not in spec. They’d need to send the car to Jim & Jacks collision center in nearby El Segundo. I checked out body shop reviews and they were great. However, as my car was being driven from body shop to SC, an electrical issue formed. SC wanted to keep my car to diagnose. Each time they drove car, the errors would return. After a week they offered me a loaner 75D Model S with free supercharging. About a1.5 weeks later the issue was solved. SC noticed I had scratched and dented my new 21” Uberturbine wheels. SC offered to apply some touch up paint. Got the car back and it looked like a perfect build from Fremont. The misaligned panel Tesla SC said was “in spec” got corrected too. Somehow my wheel’s dent was removed & all scratched paint fixed. Wheel looks brand new. I still wonder if they just gave me a new wheel or are very good at repairing them. Finally, my car stopped producing a high pitched banging drum sounds from lift gate area after the gap alignments were performed. I was leaning towards selling the car & waiting for an Hyundai ioniq 5 AWD or Kia EV6 AWD if this second SC visit didn’t solve enough issues. Due to the great results I’ll be holding on to the Tesla for a while.
That being said Two easily correctable interior trim issues were created either at last SC or outsource body shop. I have setup a mobile repair appointment for those issues.

Just reading this makes me wonder: Are US made MY that bad? I got my MY MIC, 2022 LR AWD a week ago and it is perfect! The gaps are perfect, the quality is perfect. I am a BMW driver otherwise, so i know how body panels should be aligned. I guess i am just lucky?
Majority of USA 🇺🇸 built model Y’s are fine. On forums like this people who’s cars have issues are more vocal since we’re trying to look for solutions, tips or just venting. Due to my car’s panel alignment issues & gaps (which Tesla corrected by sending car to highly rated body shop) I started making a habit of checking out other new Model Y’s. They sell like hotcakes here in Los Angeles & have paper license plates for the first 2-3 months, so I know I’m looking at a new car. The majority have a great exterior build quality. I often go to the local shopping center parking structure which tesla uses as a drop site for new car pickups and examine multiple cars there while drinking a coffee. I do a slightly more extensive analysis than the gentleman on “The Electric Man” YouTube channel.

Reactions: SWIPE

ArcticStation

Supporting Member
Oct 10, 2018
Maine
Very sad to hear these issues are ongoing. My July 2018 build Model3 LR RWD was delivered with many of the issues cited in this post as well as others. I, too, ran into the same push back noted above, but rationalized it thinking the shortcomings I experienced would be resolved over time. And I have learned to live with the daily visual reminder of unresolved panel gaps and paint blemishes, plus I do enjoy driving and owing my Model 3. But will I be willing to repeat the buying nightmare in a few years if the competition offers a competitive product and a positive delivery experience? Nope.

The car still isn't completely satisfactory. But I will say the Van Nuys location was so much more helpful. They took care of the 2 biggest problems left from Burbank's incompetence. Hatch looks like it belongs on the car now and the driver fender that had been bent and scratched by a bodyshop that Burbank sent it to has also been fixed. Some of the smaller details that are still a bit annoying were not taken care of. The advisor recommended against it. I think it's a good approach, just get the big problems fixed first and then if it still bothers me, I can make another appointment to try and get some of the other issues fixed.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Just reading this makes me wonder: Are US made MY that bad? I got my MY MIC, 2022 LR AWD a week ago and it is perfect! The gaps are perfect, the quality is perfect. I am a BMW driver otherwise, so i know how body panels should be aligned. I guess i am just lucky?
No. The recent ones are excellent. Some bad apples, but nearly all are fine. My recent delivery was perfect on the outside...

Good to hear, I hope it got the options you paid for :)

Do not forget to inspect it more when you get home and document everything ASAP, and to send Tesla the arbitration opt-out letter asap.

Ok, what's this about an opt-out letter? I see nothing in my glovebox on that

1647374866646.png

Check your order agreement, you will see an arbitration clause that state within 30 days you can opt-out from it.

Reactions: SilentWarp and Soap

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC