Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panel Gaps, Burbank service, nightmare

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of model Y LR in white on Dec 3rd. They dropped it off and said if there are any panel issues or any other concerns, note them down, make an appointment and they would take care of them. Of course, the soonest appointment was a month out. They basically talked me out of refusing the car, and that I guess is the takeaway from anyone that reads this. Do not accept a vehicle with even minor issues because they are unable or unwilling to fix.
Had several issues
rear panel was not centered, and actually was leaking water into the bottom of the rear cargo area.
Frunk hood was slightly off center, but very minor.
Both fenders did not align with the bottom of the A pillar, the pillar was about 2mm proud of the fender on both sides.
Rear bumper did not align with the back of the rear quarter panel, about 6" of the bumper was popped out 2mm past bumper

First visit:
Rep was great, put red tape on all the areas of concern, he actually looked shocked when he saw the bumper.
Get note in app that the car is ready the next day. Wow, amazing. Uber up there, and...
THEY LITERALLY DID NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ON THE CAR.
someone just took the tape off and they said it was in spec. Great, you wasted an hour and a half of my time for no reason.

Of course I did not take the car back.
Rep agreed to have the tech supervisor (I dunno, maybe they make that up to make customers feel better?).
Leave the car...

Second Visit 2 days later
Get an in-app message and up again...
They slightly adjusted one fender and.... nothing else.
He said they both said everything is within spec.
The rear hatch is so far over on one side, that it's touching the window trim. Bumper still not fixed.
I told them to stop telling me about what their specs or tolerances are. I just want the car to look like it was made to the same quality as the rest of the cars sitting outside the service center.
He agreed to send the car to a body shop and told me this verbatim "maybe by some miracle, they will be able to fix this" HAHAHAHAHA. WTAF?
I asked him to explain to me why I would need a miracle to have a car that looks like it was made by real car company that cared about their products and craftsmanship.
... This time 2 hours wasted.

2 days later
Third visit.
Rear bumper fixed, but now the top of the rear bumper (under the tail lights) is loose on both sides.
Rear hatch is no longer aligned with rear bumper when closed. passenger side is double the distance from the edge of bumper as the driver side.
Driver side fender is aligned with A pillar, but is now 3 mm further out than the door. It's comically bad.
Passenger fener is aligned with A pillar but is also no longer aligned with wheel arch and bottom of door.
Front bumper now has 2 indentations from a license plate of another car?? This time another 90 minutes wasted.

This morning, got another message that the car is ready but will not pick up until they send pictures.
I've exposed myself unnecessarily in the service center 3 times, and with 6 uber drivers. I'm trying to keep my kid in school here.

Tesla customer service is the absolute worst. My solar roof was just installed yesterday, the crew was great, but dealing with Tesla reps over the phone is the impossible. They still haven't returned a call regarding power wall installation from 2 weeks ago. it took 8 days to install the roof once they started but probable six months of back and forth getting the order together. I get constant questions from friends and neighbors regarding roof. Unfortunately I have to tell them to only order if they have lots of spare time and low to normal blood pressure. We've spent over $250,000 on Tesla products. holy crap, saying that out loud is kind of shocking.

I've logged all of these interactions and have contacted a lawyer regarding a lemon law claim. I'd rather get the car looking like it is at least the quality of my 2004 Subaru. It's just shocking that with all of this automation and alien dreadnaught technology they use, these cars still look like the minor leagues. Except the demo vehicle for some reason, that one looked fantastic. Some classic bait and switch right there.

IMG_0398.jpegIMG_0186.jpegIMG_0185.jpegIMG_0182.jpegIMG_0443.jpegIMG_0437.jpeg

Sorry to hear but I’m not surprised. When I took delivery of my car I had some issues also. Long story short tesla service reps lied to me and damaged my week old 112 miles car so bad it had to have a body shop repaint the front fender hood and a pillar. I complained like you and got nowhere. I told them no you are not sending my brand new car to have body and paint work done the service manager gave me a car cover to hide the damage (I guess). If my car needs any work now it’s going to Fremont a two hour drive but I don’t trust the liars at my service center.

I doubt that Elon would accept a car that was within spec. But maybe they lie to him also. They did tell him that the cyber truck windows were bullet proof and we all saw how well that went😀

good luck

Reactions: YNOT3
Was notified via app that if I didn't pick the car up today, I would be charged $100/day. Went to go get car, and of course it had not been worked on yet. Service rep was very nice, but since it was Sunday afternoon, there wasn't anything he could do for me at that point. Heading back up tomorrow for my 5th visit for this.
Also noticed the body shop or Tesla service (?) decided to go max power for a bit in the car. I dont think that really matters but shows a pretty big lack of respect. Also my loaner m3p made me really regret not getting the performance.

Thanks so much for the message.
IMG_0473.jpeg

Thanks for testing out max power. appreciate it.
IMG_0458.jpeg

A pillar sticking out much further than fender. terrible.
IMG_0469.jpeg

Door no longer aligned with driver side fender. really terrible.

IMG_0470.jpeg

fixed bumper with fender alignment, but now bumper doesn't align with taillight.
IMG_0461.jpeg

which side of the rear hatch is aligned correctly with bumper? driver or passenger? can't tell
IMG_0462.jpegIMG_0463.jpeg

bumper is now loose under the tail light.
IMG_0464.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0466.jpeg
    IMG_0466.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 598
  • IMG_0460.jpeg
    IMG_0460.jpeg
    37.5 KB · Views: 560
Took delivery of model Y LR in white on Dec 3rd. They dropped it off and said if there are any panel issues or any other concerns, note them down, make an appointment and they would take care of them. Of course, the soonest appointment was a month out. They basically talked me out of refusing the car, and that I guess is the takeaway from anyone that reads this. Do not accept a vehicle with even minor issues because they are unable or unwilling to fix.
Had several issues
rear panel was not centered, and actually was leaking water into the bottom of the rear cargo area.
Frunk hood was slightly off center, but very minor.
Both fenders did not align with the bottom of the A pillar, the pillar was about 2mm proud of the fender on both sides.
Rear bumper did not align with the back of the rear quarter panel, about 6" of the bumper was popped out 2mm past bumper

First visit:
Rep was great, put red tape on all the areas of concern, he actually looked shocked when he saw the bumper.
Get note in app that the car is ready the next day. Wow, amazing. Uber up there, and...
THEY LITERALLY DID NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ON THE CAR.
someone just took the tape off and they said it was in spec. Great, you wasted an hour and a half of my time for no reason.

Of course I did not take the car back.
Rep agreed to have the tech supervisor (I dunno, maybe they make that up to make customers feel better?).
Leave the car...

Second Visit 2 days later
Get an in-app message and up again...
They slightly adjusted one fender and.... nothing else.
He said they both said everything is within spec.
The rear hatch is so far over on one side, that it's touching the window trim. Bumper still not fixed.
I told them to stop telling me about what their specs or tolerances are. I just want the car to look like it was made to the same quality as the rest of the cars sitting outside the service center.
He agreed to send the car to a body shop and told me this verbatim "maybe by some miracle, they will be able to fix this" HAHAHAHAHA. WTAF?
I asked him to explain to me why I would need a miracle to have a car that looks like it was made by real car company that cared about their products and craftsmanship.
... This time 2 hours wasted.

2 days later
Third visit.
Rear bumper fixed, but now the top of the rear bumper (under the tail lights) is loose on both sides.
Rear hatch is no longer aligned with rear bumper when closed. passenger side is double the distance from the edge of bumper as the driver side.
Driver side fender is aligned with A pillar, but is now 3 mm further out than the door. It's comically bad.
Passenger fener is aligned with A pillar but is also no longer aligned with wheel arch and bottom of door.
Front bumper now has 2 indentations from a license plate of another car?? This time another 90 minutes wasted.

This morning, got another message that the car is ready but will not pick up until they send pictures.
I've exposed myself unnecessarily in the service center 3 times, and with 6 uber drivers. I'm trying to keep my kid in school here.

Tesla customer service is the absolute worst. My solar roof was just installed yesterday, the crew was great, but dealing with Tesla reps over the phone is the impossible. They still haven't returned a call regarding power wall installation from 2 weeks ago. it took 8 days to install the roof once they started but probable six months of back and forth getting the order together. I get constant questions from friends and neighbors regarding roof. Unfortunately I have to tell them to only order if they have lots of spare time and low to normal blood pressure. We've spent over $250,000 on Tesla products. holy crap, saying that out loud is kind of shocking.

I've logged all of these interactions and have contacted a lawyer regarding a lemon law claim. I'd rather get the car looking like it is at least the quality of my 2004 Subaru. It's just shocking that with all of this automation and alien dreadnaught technology they use, these cars still look like the minor leagues. Except the demo vehicle for some reason, that one looked fantastic. Some classic bait and switch right there.

View attachment 753505View attachment 753507View attachment 753508View attachment 753509View attachment 753503View attachment 753504
you need to not take delivery o this lemon. it will never be right. looks like it was assembled by a grade 3 arts and crafts class

Sorry to hear about your issues....I just took delivery of my 2022 MYP at the Burbank delivery parking lot, i compared it to the entire row of both LR MY and MYP's that were being delivered that day. Maybe it was just a good day, or they were all 2022 models, but there were only a few that had some minor panel gaps. Hope you get it all squared away.

Yea, not planning on cancelling but its just always in the back of my mind on how I am going to come out in the Tesla lottery.
You can always reject the car If you see visible issues. I’d start watching The Electric Man build review YouTube channel to help you prep for delivery day and perhaps visiting your local Tesla store (if you have one) and start looking at their cars to get familiar with the Y’s body. I wish I had done this.

You can always reject the car If you see visible issues. I’d start watching The Electric Man build review YouTube channel to help you prep for delivery day and perhaps visiting your local Tesla store (if you have one) and start looking at their cars to get familiar with the Y’s body. I wish I had done this.

Yea, I already know what to look for and honestly this is just a secondary car, if something is wrong with it I would of course decline, I am in no hurry for this.

These are the kind of posts that always give me some doubt on if I am making the right decision with my purchase.
you will have something wrong with your new tesla but unlike a couple years ago the problems are likely to be minor and annoying but fixed with mobile visits. The early production issues were often major hardware and design issues which they have been forced to correct with the china standards......and many complaints etc....the build issues are nearing the standard of most other manufacturers now so that's a risk worth taking no matter where you buy a car. The real concern you need to investigate beforehand is the competency of your local service centre. that will make all the difference. Check their complaint history

My rear hatch is very slightly off similar to yours but I don't have a leak so I'm actually keeping it as is because the last time I took it in for service (spoiler coming off), they did such a lousy job that I think I'm better off with the gaps.

Just came back from visiting the Burbank SC as I dropped of my Model S loaner. Service quick and stellar and with a smile and genuine helpfulness as always. Did exactly what I brought it in for. Apparently your mileage may vary on this SC. But for me, they're the best SC I've ever visited in all my years of owning any car.