Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panel Gaps, MY vs BMW X3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my Model Y the panel fit issues include: The driver's door right edge sticks out, above the rear door about 4 mm, the thickness of the panel. The rear left door looks like it is rotated clockwise, so tight gap at the top wide gap at the bottom. Like some huge weight yanked it down when it was open. These flaws are readily noticealbe from a distance. There are several other discrepancies. And while I'm function over form (If I could save $1000 buying a dented Model Y, I'd have done it) these are noticeable and unacceptable.
In a YouTube video there was discussion of Tesla panel fit. A friend of the video maker pushed Tesla's service about as far as it could go, and then he took his Tesla to a body shop and they tweaked it that last bit. In another video the Tesla service techs were yanking and hammer (malleting?) to align the panels. It's definitely a skill that grows with experience.
One might think it's just bad quality control, but I suspect that Tesla is trying to produce cars as fast as they can and these mostly cosmetic aspects are being tolerated so as not to slow down the line. Eventually I expect Teslas will come off the line more perfect than any other car. And you might think, well there ought to be a few teams working their way through the Tesla lot fixing the panels on the new cars - and I'll bet there are, it's just they can't keep up with production and deliveries.
I've hung a lot of house and building doors. It's a three dimensional problem. A door in your house I could probably tweak into place within minutes, on a car... you don't want to make the panel look right and end up with a gap in the seal.

Those kinds of misalignments are just inexcusable. You were still comfortable taking delivery?

Just a little input here. I was parked behind a brand new Lincoln (I know, not an MB or BMW) with paper plates (new off the lot) and snagged the image below. The rear hatch misalignment is in line with what Tesla owners are reporting. The point is to reinforce other's comments that although Tesla has its issues so does everyone else. For my MY (VIN sub-1500) I had zero panel gap issues. There are super minor wheel arch trim misalignments at the bottom, but you have to be looking for them, and I don't clutch my pearls over stuff like that. My previous BMW had similar issues that no one noticed but me.

I think this "issue" in large part is over-magnification due to social media platforms. One owner's issue (re)posted 1,000 times is perceived as 1,000 issues. Sort of applies to everything going on in the world today.

IMG_4255.JPG

Reactions: Koolio46
Just a little input here. I was parked behind a brand new Lincoln (I know, not an MB or BMW) with paper plates (new off the lot) and snagged the image below. The rear hatch misalignment is in line with what Tesla owners are reporting. The point is to reinforce other's comments that although Tesla has its issues so does everyone else. For my MY (VIN sub-1500) I had zero panel gap issues. There are super minor wheel arch trim misalignments at the bottom, but you have to be looking for them, and I don't clutch my pearls over stuff like that. My previous BMW had similar issues that no one noticed but me.

I think this "issue" in large part is over-magnification due to social media platforms. One owner's issue (re)posted 1,000 times is perceived as 1,000 issues. Sort of applies to everything going on in the world today.

View attachment 595809

Great input, thanks for sharing. As Munro pointed out in his MY teardown, high tolerance (small, consistent gaps) is expensive and you can expect any manufacturer to make trade offs.

As with any of the idiosyncrasies of owning a Tesla, I equate the purchase to having a child who is a genius. Yes, they have tremendous potential and are alarmingly advanced, but they’re ultimately still children and need time and higher-than-average resources to develop properly. I, for one, have no problem dealing with the growing pains, as they’re helping me grow myself.

I think another reason Tesla’s are scrutinized so much is that they are basically using the consumer as the last QC check. Many of the blatant issues are caught by the owners, where with most ICE cars these things are usually checked/repaired before the consumer sees them. If Tesla fixed these at the factory or at the SC before delivery I believe the “perception” of quality would be better. It seems there are just many different issues people have reported (even if very small) paint issues, panels gaps, seats not folding, scuff plates falling off, door seal/gaskets not adhered, etc.... It is concerning that it just doesn’t seem to be a few specific areas that could be a problem. It can be all different things that could possibly be wrong hence people coming up with these elaborate checklists when they pick up their cars.