Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panel removal and repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2014 Model S P85 has a panel inside that needs to be leather repaired. Looks as if it would just pop off, but that isn't the case. Didn't want to put too much outward pressure on it and damage something. Here's the pic of item in question. As you can see the bottom pointed portion , leather is quite worn and needs replacing. Anyone know how to remove this panel? Thank you. This is my first post here
IMG_20210516_183759656.jpg

The "outside" image is just showing where to lift the plastic rocker panel that goes across the bottom of the door to separate outside from inside. Mine says Tesla across it. Tesla clips break. When or if you get some, get a bag. They will come in handy as your car ages.
Derby,

Are these generic clips or Tesla only, and do I need a tool to remove? Or a screwdriver or narrow putty knife. Help.
Thx

Just pull up on the rocker panel. I did it from the inside on the front or rear edge, where it goes over the pillar piece. Haven't broken a clip yet. You will see the clips when you remove the panel and check if you broke any. You can also use a plastic trim removal tool to assist (I wouldn't use a putty knife or screwdriver.) The link to the parts is in the link I posted above.

Just pull up on the rocker panel. I did it from the inside on the front or rear edge, where it goes over the pillar piece. Haven't broken a clip yet. You will see the clips when you remove the panel and check if you broke any. You can also use a plastic trim removal tool to assist (I wouldn't use a putty knife or screwdriver.) The link to the parts is in the link I posted above.
Just pull up on it? Pull up with my hands? I can't even get a finger under the panel. Sorry if sounding like and idiot, but do afraid gonna remove wrong thing or break something then have to have Tesla repair it at their VERY VERY high costs.

I just pulled up on the front ones at one of the ends, from the inside. I guess they are called threshold panels and not rocker panels. They are plastic. I assume the rear ones are attached with clips in the same way. Yes. I have those same trim pullers in orange. You can see a youtube video on removing these:

I just pulled up on the front ones at one of the ends, from the inside. I guess they are called threshold panels and not rocker panels. They are plastic. I assume the rear ones are attached with clips in the same way. Yes. I have those same trim pullers in orange. You can see a youtube video on removing these:
Now THAT helped TREMENDOUSLY. Excellent!
Thank you guys so much. Perfect.
Sorry if this seems like child's play. Just wanted to make sure I covered all the bases and got all the info I needed.
Take care, be well, stay safe