Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panel Upgrade Before or After Solar Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently Tesla Hit me with a 9k extra charge for my solar install; the reason behind that is my duplex needs both unit panels upgraded to meet the new code standards and to integrate solar. While reviewing Tesla's project drawing, it shows that they are only planning on putting in 125A service(100AMP originally) for each unit. But with my current load, I'm afraid that when I install my Mni split AC system(30amp), it will go over what my service can provide. I contacted Tesla, and they insist on only putting in 125A service instead of 200A, even though it's the same amount of work with different breakers and box plus that PGE already approved a 200AMP service upgrade request from Tesla; they give me the option to either upgrade my service myself and then put solar in, which has the possibility that they have to rip some stuff out again to fit in the powerwall and gateway, etc. or have them finish the install, then I upgrade the service myself. Any recommendations on what to do? Tesla seems to be the cheapest in my area, with other quotes reaching upwards of 50k and even 80k or maybe 125AMP is enough with added 220/30AMP AC in the future

Planned System:
9.6Kw array
1x powerwall+

Current Load
IMG_4712.JPG

Planned Load:30AMP AC
Drawing:
chrome_mapBD11Kq6.png

chrome_iMahsRtznE.png

The general feedback and thought process on whether to do this before or after an install is in this thread:

Recently Tesla Hit me with a 9k extra charge for my solar install; the reason behind that is my duplex needs both unit panels upgraded to meet the new code standards and to integrate solar. While reviewing Tesla's project drawing, it shows that they are only planning on putting in 125A service(100AMP originally) for each unit. But with my current load, I'm afraid that when I install my Mni split AC system(30amp), it will go over what my service can provide. I contacted Tesla, and they insist on only putting in 125A service instead of 200A, even though it's the same amount of work with different breakers and box plus that PGE already approved a 200AMP service upgrade request from Tesla; they give me the option to either upgrade my service myself and then put solar in, which has the possibility that they have to rip some stuff out again to fit in the powerwall and gateway, etc. or have them finish the install, then I upgrade the service myself. Any recommendations on what to do? Tesla seems to be the cheapest in my area, with other quotes reaching upwards of 50k and even 80k or maybe 125AMP is enough with added 220/30AMP AC in the future

Planned System:
9.6Kw array
1x powerwall+

Current Load
IMG_4712.JPG

Planned Load:30AMP AC
Drawing:
chrome_mapBD11Kq6.png

chrome_iMahsRtznE.png
Maybe some information is missing, but it sounds like this condo currently has a split service panel with 2x100A services. Tesla plans on putting in (or subbing out this work) 2x125A services for $9k. That doesn't seem like a bad deal if it happens fast, but I don't necessarily agree that upgrading to 2x200A services is going to be the same price or as simple if that is what you are proposing.

What do your load calculations look like?

If you are really interested in getting a 2x200 split service you might have to hire that out, since Tesla seems firm on that limit.

What does the outside meter panel look like?

It seems like making the TEG into the service panel makes sense, and they are doing that

As to the waiting or not, definitely do not wait if the financial payback is important to you. NEM 3.0 is coming fast and I do not know Tesla schedule or priority for jobs like these. Certainly the value of the power will be lower if you wait until after this march to get your interconnection agreement started.

Maybe some information is missing, but it sounds like this condo currently has a split service panel with 2x100A services. Tesla plans on putting in (or subbing out this work) 2x125A services for $9k. That doesn't seem like a bad deal if it happens fast, but I don't necessarily agree that upgrading to 2x200A services is going to be the same price or as simple if that is what you are proposing.

What do your load calculations look like?

If you are really interested in getting a 2x200 split service you might have to hire that out, since Tesla seems firm on that limit.

What does the outside meter panel look like?

It seems like making the TEG into the service panel makes sense, and they are doing that

As to the waiting or not, definitely do not wait if the financial payback is important to you. NEM 3.0 is coming fast and I do not know Tesla schedule or priority for jobs like these. Certainly the value of the power will be lower if you wait until after this march to get your interconnection agreement started.
My load calculator currently shows 110AMP without a mini split install according to NEC 220.83. I did tell Tesla I'm willing to pay extra for the 200AMP service.

Wow, that is quite an old service panel, it does look like it likely needs replacement. 2x200 is a good size for a modern duplex, with 200A for each side.

Also, I don't understand that PGE has really agreed to a 400A service size with 2x200A feeds. You said they agreed to 200A, which is similar to the existing condition of 2x100A but for 2x200A might need a transformer upgrade.

Are you trying to upgrade just one side to 200A and leave the other side alone or do you want 200A for both sides? This is certainly not just a larger breaker and wire, the enclosure is physically much larger because it is designed for much larger wire both incoming and outgoing.

If you want to explore other electricians you can but certainly, you won't save money or time going elsewhere.

BTW nice times there in your sig! Maybe I can take a ride along if you are at Tesla Corsa next event. I am at the place where seeing what others lines look like would be helpful to my going faster.

Wow, that is quite an old service panel, it does look like it likely needs replacement. 2x200 is a good size for a modern duplex, with 200A for each side.

Also, I don't understand that PGE has really agreed to a 400A service size with 2x200A feeds. You said they agreed to 200A, which is similar to the existing condition of 2x100A but for 2x200A might need a transformer upgrade.

Are you trying to upgrade just one side to 200A and leave the other side alone or do you want 200A for both sides? This is certainly not just a larger breaker and wire, the enclosure is physically much larger because it is designed for much larger wire both incoming and outgoing.

If you want to explore other electricians you can but certainly, you won't save money or time going elsewhere.

BTW nice times there in your sig! Maybe I can take a ride along if you are at Tesla Corsa next event. I am at the place where seeing what others lines look like would be helpful to my going faster.
chrome_nIUhtzLNaP.png

chrome_3rIuMB59NP.png

Afaik this application went through; My plan was to keep one side 100A and only upgrade my service to 200A. i probably gonna just go with Tesla's solution and call it there.

I will try to go to the TC event in January. currently waiting for some parts for my car before I can return to the track.

chrome_nIUhtzLNaP.png

chrome_3rIuMB59NP.png

Afaik this application went through; My plan was to keep one side 100A and only upgrade my service to 200A. i probably gonna just go with Tesla's solution and call it there.

I will try to go to the TC event in January. currently waiting for some parts for my car before I can return to the track.
Cool, I will see if I can make January at Buttonwillow. Last event was crazy foggy in the morning, so we missed a bit of our time.

If you want any hope of NEM 2.0 you should take the path of least resistance. I am not sure at this point that this will even make NEM 2.0. Service upgrades can take a long time but in San Jose things can move fast.