Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panerai and Rolex at Costco

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RobStark

Jul 2, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
I have not looked inside Costco's jewelry case in years because nothing there interest me.

But I happened to take a look today and I was shocked I saw Panerai and Rolex.

A decade ago I started seeing Cartier, Omega, and Tag Heuer but nothing in the $20k plus range.

I used to tease some of my friends that owned Seamasters and Links that I don't wear Costco brand watches.

Can't do that anymore.

5aqaryna.jpg
90511019553902c9904340efce42e95e.jpg

BTW Not my pics. Pulled off the web to illustrate the point.

I am surprised that watches still have buyers.

Rolex is not what it used to be.

Demand for Swiss mechanical watches is higher that it has ever been. Over 6 Million units shipped in 2013. Rolex produces 950k watches per year but demand is much higher. Hence the very strong resale value.

And Rolex is not what it used to be. It is better than ever.

All Rolex watches are now made of 904L or "Swedish steel." Three times more expensive than industry standard 316L "surgical stainless steel" with greater resistance to corrosion and pitting. And it polishes to a brighter shine to boot. My Rolex Deepsea Sea Dweller is rated for depths of 3900 meters. The very first Sea Dweller produced in 1967 had a depth rating of 610 meters. I could go on about the improvements in specifications but I take it no one would read that far. LOL.

Demand for Swiss mechanical watches is higher that it has ever been. Over 6 Million units shipped in 2013. Rolex produces 950k watches per year but demand is much higher. Hence the very strong resale value.

And Rolex is not what it used to be. It is better than ever.

All Rolex watches are now made of 904L or "Swedish steel." Three times more expensive than industry standard 316L "surgical stainless steel" with greater resistance to corrosion and pitting. And it polishes to a brighter shine to boot. My Rolex Deepsea Sea Dweller is rated for depths of 3900 meters. The very first Sea Dweller produced in 1967 had a depth rating of 610 meters. I could go on about the improvements in specifications but I take it no one would read that far. LOL.

I believe your word that it is better than ever, but I still think its days are numbered. It is just a matter of time before new generations vote it out of existence. Of course I can be wrong but even your statement that no one would read about the improvements in specifications sort of feeds into my expectations.

The value of Rollex resides in its brand and its outstanding craftsmanship. That may not be enough to ensure its survival as so many other equally amazing and better devices provide and exceed the functionality that Rollex used to provide.

I believe your word that it is better than ever, but I still think its days are numbered. It is just a matter of time before new generations vote it out of existence. Of course I can be wrong but even your statement that no one would read about the improvements in specifications sort of feeds into my expectations.

The value of Rollex resides in its brand and its outstanding craftsmanship. That may not be enough to ensure its survival as so many other equally amazing and better devices provide and exceed the functionality that Rollex used to provide.

That it is an anachronism is part of its appeal. The movement in my Panerai PAM 127 was invented in the 1890's. It is hand wound. I know an atomic watch that receives electronic signals from the Nist Radio Station WWVB, which is located near Fort Collins, Colorado in the USA is accurate to within 3 hundreds of second. Far better than my watch for a much cheaper price. Don't care.

No one would read about the minutiae of a Model S on a mechanical watch or Rolex forum either. Does not mean Tesla's days are numbered. And there are many more active members on Rolex/watch forums than Tesla/BEV forums.

And you know where young people love Rolex and Swiss watches the most? China and India.

Even if 7% of the global population in 40 years (The West) and their anti-corporate hipsters do not care for Rolex at least half the global population will. And that is the part of the World where the economies are growing the fastest.

Electronic devices will never be equally amazing.People expect improvements according to Moore's Law. It is passe. Digital devices have already surpassed Rolex and the mechanical watch industry in functionality. Measuring time accurately. Does not matter. The electronic device industry had their chance to kill Swiss mechanical watches in the 70's and 80's and failed. At that time quartz watches and Casio digital watches were amazing.

I predict 100 years from now Apple will be gone. Replaced by newer tech provided by some company not even conceived of yet. And Rolex will still be around.

That it is an anachronism is part of its appeal. The movement in my Panerai PAM 127 was invented in the 1890's. It is hand wound. I know an atomic watch that receives electronic signals from the Nist Radio Station WWVB, which is located near Fort Collins, Colorado in the USA is accurate to within 3 hundreds of second. Far better than my watch for a much cheaper price. Don't care.

No one would read about the minutiae of a Model S on a mechanical watch or Rolex forum either. Does not mean Tesla's days are numbered. And there are many more active members on Rolex/watch forums than Tesla/BEV forums.

And you know where young people love Rolex and Swiss watches the most? China and India.

Even if 7% of the global population in 40 years (The West) and their anti-corporate hipsters do not care for Rolex at least half the global population will. And that is the part of the World where the economies are growing the fastest.

Electronic devices will never be equally amazing.People expect improvements according to Moore's Law. It is passe. Digital devices have already surpassed Rolex and the mechanical watch industry in functionality. Measuring time accurately. Does not matter. The electronic device industry had their chance to kill Swiss mechanical watches in the 70's and 80's and failed. At that time quartz watches and Casio digital watches were amazing.

I predict 100 years from now Apple will be gone. Replaced by newer tech provided by some company not even conceived of yet. And Rolex will still be around.

I can see that you are passionate about Rolex, such passion might increase its survival odds :smile:

Rolex is coming closer and closer to a jewellery, hence its increased appeal in the markets that you mention. It is likely to follow the same trajectory and to have similar fate as jewellery.

I am not surprised that Rolex forums have more active members than TMC. Heck Rolex forum is just not my cup of tea. I find TMC far more entertaining. Off topic section can be hilarious. Some other sections as well. I doubt that Rolex forums can compete with that.:biggrin:

I would be surprised if electronic devices markets and Rolex markets have meaningful overlaps regarding the appealability of items.

That would be my dream come true, to see Apple replaced with newer, better tech. :cool: Even humble today's devices enable this discussion between you and me. Magic all around, no Rolex can compete with that.

Last edited:
I am a mechanical watch aficionado and collector and currently have models from Breitling, Omega, Panerai and Raymond Weil. There is something beautiful and elegant about wearing art on the wrist, which will never be purely replaced by a technology alternative. There is a place for both.

I am a mechanical watch aficionado and collector and currently have models from Breitling, Omega, Panerai and Raymond Weil. There is something beautiful and elegant about wearing art on the wrist, which will never be purely replaced by a technology alternative. There is a place for both.
This Daytona and leather strap combo is nice. (pic via wordpress)
ben-hwang-daytona.jpg

I appreciate the contrast of wearing a mechanical watch in an electric car vs. wearing an electric watch in a mechanical car!

And wearing a diving watch in an electric plane.:biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

This was mine for the day, Breitling 125 anniversary with air racer metal band.

View attachment 71541
Nice piece AMPUP. How do you like the air racer band? I've heard it's comfortable.

Rolex, and a few other high end watches, are to men what diamonds are to women. Cubic Zirconia, no matter how brilliant, will never replace a real diamond. Jewelry provides a different type of value to people. Tech will never be able to compete with that in the long run, imo.

Rolex, and a few other high end watches, are to men what diamonds are to women. Cubic Zirconia, no matter how brilliant, will never replace a real diamond. Jewelry provides a different type of value to people. Tech will never be able to compete with that in the long run, imo.

Nice analysis along the gender lines.

I am curious about transgender and no gender people, are they Rolex or diamond or tech crowd:confused: