Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panic Button -- Peace of Mind for the Geek at Heart

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time posting a new thread so please bear with me. It's also a crazy idea so please double bear with me.

Being new to the forum for a couple of months, I've been trying to catch up on all the threads relevant to me. One of the topics that really provoked me was security system for the car. I realize there's no "panic button" on the key fob that comes with other cars I've driven. So I've been toying with the idea of using the Bttn product (http://www.bt.tn/) on the dashboard of the car and writing some scripts to call the functions Tesla make available (similar to VisibleTesla).

For example, in the Barstow event (http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...Model-S-stolen-while-supercharging-in-Barstow) the driver could hit the Bttn which runs a script that does any or all of the following (most of which are capable through VisibleTesla):

- Repeatedly honk
- Repeatedly flash headlights
- Send email of current location to someone
- Lock the doors (although this would probably have no effect when it's opened from the inside for safety reasons)

When and if Tesla enables them, other capabilities in the future could be:
- Dial emergency line automatically then put it in hands-free mode
- Reduce speed limit (i.e., valet mode or anti-theft mode)
- Limit range of car from current location (i.e., anti-theft mode)
- Blast your favourite Justin Bieber music or custom warning voice message

I understand that the Bttn could only have one of few types of inputs (e.g., one click, double-click or long click) but the scripts could act with an awareness of the situation. For example, if the car is moving when the Bttn is hit, then it can turn off autopilot (in cases of when autopilot algorithm suddenly fails to do what you've intended it); if it's not moving then repeatedly honk indefinitely.

One disadvantage of using this particular Bttn product is that it requires Wifi or it's own sim card with data plan. I was hoping that the car can share it's Wifi so that I don't need to have a separate data plan. Any other similar products that can do this better?

Reactions: Algbc
If I read this correctly, this would require carrying a physical button that only works with Wi-Fi present. It would make more sense to me to add these features to the mobile Tesla app, which works on most phones over wireless. Many of these features have been on the wish lists of forum members for some time.