Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panic buying!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On that subject this morning I talked to our Postie. He has an HGC 2 but gave it up after 3 years because he said that unless you are a tramp, living in the cab, the pay is poor and even as a Tramper the lifestyle is terrible. He gets paid more as a rural postie.

We pay Tube and Train drivers up to £70k a year. Why are they worth so much more than a Truck driver?
Agreed. The job isn't worth it for the most part unless you're just interested in the bottom line, particularly now you can earn stupid amounts like at least £50k a year just working 12 hours Fri/Sat/Sun.

My mate is a big transport manager and he says most drivers are not put off by the long hours or being out overnight, but the lack of facilities and parking, and being treated like second class citizens. Most places now don't want lorry drivers around and parked up. They've stopped drivers parking overnight unless they pay an overnight fee. Plus they want them to charge for basic facilities like toilets and shower blocks, or there just aren't any at all.

To me sitting in traffic all day on 12 hour shifts sounds like my idea of hell. I wouldn't do it unless I was absolutely desperate.

Reactions: Js1977
There's a shortage of drivers across most of Europe too with better pay rates e.g. Germany than here. or the rate of pay and time away from home and hassle it’s not an attractive job. There's a local firm advertising a reasonable salary until one finds out they only pay for time in the cab and not time hanging around loading/unloading...

Is it me?

I'm driving around past loads of very long queues to petrol stations and feeling a bit smug!
me this morning

214dgn.jpeg

Was overwhelmingly smug today until 11am when the electricity went off, and apparently is going to stay off while they replace the cable.

At least this might fix the voltage drop when charging the car. 80% charge in the tank though so not too bothered.

Has anyone other than me thought that the "fuel crisis" may have been set up to convince everyone that they really should get an EV?
You credit the government with far too much sense its just old fashioned incompetence/lack of planning and nothing more. I suspect with the sterling/euro exchange rate and a shortage of HGV drivers in Europe Boris's cunning plan may not solve the problem :-(

Reactions: Yachtsman
You credit the government with far too much sense its just old fashioned incompetence/lack of planning and nothing more. I suspect with the sterling/euro exchange rate and a shortage of HGV drivers in Europe Boris's cunning plan may not solve the problem :-(
There wasn't a crisis until the media said there was and everyone rushed out to queue, just a handful of stations ran short countrywide. For a good conspiracy theory think how that affected stock markets and exchange rate..

Reactions: Js1977
The sensation of blasting the horn as you pass idiots queuing and blocking the road is fantastic.
Morons.
I'm a firm believer in death penalty for trivial transgressions. You might be able to justify murder or theft but sounding your horn when there isn't a valid reason goes along with throwing litter out of the car, playing loud music with the windows open and buying takeaway stuff in non-biodegradable containers..

I'm a firm believer in death penalty for trivial transgressions. You might be able to justify murder or theft but sounding your horn when there isn't a valid reason goes along with throwing litter out of the car, playing loud music with the windows open and buying takeaway stuff in non-biodegradable containers..
What about putting the car in Park and then using boombox to fart at them after a round of la Cucaracha..... 😝

He did mention people blocking the road so show some leniency! 😆

Take the picture bellow. This is the petrol station opposite Poole hospital (for those that know) and some idiot decided he was waiting no more and decided to barge into the queue. It doesn't show very well but he is towing a jet ski and blocked the whole road. Its chaos and the media created it most probably in the knowledge of the outcome (like they did with toilet paper and so on) and hey presto they make their own news. There should be fines for this sort of thing imho.

tempImage6hBZR4.png

The M3 has electrons for 260 miles.
Do you think there will be an electron shortage, should I keep the electron tank full????

Only joking...

As has been said, 18 months of Covid restrictions, listening to Government and following all forms of media seem to have made the great unwashed even less able to think for themselves. We really need to get a grip!
Hmmm I do need a shower.

Just highlights how complex and close to the limit todays supplies chains are - Takes very little, including FUD, to disrupt them

Hmmm I do need a shower.

Just highlights how complex and close to the limit todays supplies chains are - Takes very little, including FUD, to disrupt them
'Panic buying' is a consequence not the cause. The cause is insufficient fuel delivery drivers since Brexit. The 'panic' only started after a number of petrol stations finally ran out of petrol after months of being close, then the rest had so little stock they soon ran out too, so it spirals. Sure if everyone was selfless and organised then we could makes the most of what we have, but that's not how humans work.

This is just the tip of an iceberg of missing workers in the UK, there are massive issues in care, NHS, agriculture etc. all due to the one simple cause, ending free movement of european tax paying workers.