Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panic! Can't Charge!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up the X last Thursday. I have been having similar problems with charge port. Port door won't open, lock pin not opening, seems like plug won't seat properly. I have rebooted with no improvement. Finally got it to charge last night but this morning I went to increase the charge % to 95% and the app says Charge Port Open, connect charge cable. Nothing has been touched since last night.

It seems the latest update has a problem with charge ports and locking; since the most recent update, my wife has attempted to plug in twice, and the locking pin was engaged so that she couldn't plug the HPWC in. She touched the charge door, it opened, but wouldn't release the pin. She had to open the car and unlock the port via the charging screen. Anyone else?

The service center asked engineering for me, and I heard that it was a known issue with some timing in module communications, and will be addressed in an update.

It seems the latest update has a problem with charge ports and locking; since the most recent update, my wife has attempted to plug in twice, and the locking pin was engaged so that she couldn't plug the HPWC in. She touched the charge door, it opened, but wouldn't release the pin. She had to open the car and unlock the port via the charging screen. Anyone else?

What firmware version are you on?

My X is currently at the Service Center for its first visit. We exchanged it for a Model S loaner on the return leg of our road trip to Key West. The most important problem they are addressing surrounds the misbehaving charge port (see my post on 2/24). One of the things I learned from the head mechanic is that the little button behind the charge port door is adjustable in and out by turning it. If it's out of adjustment that can cause some issues. Unfortunately my car's problem is more involved.

I figured out that even though I had to force the port door open by pushing on the rear of it, I needed to push on the front of it to unlock the port itself. Otherwise the charge cable was locked out (and no port light). Knowing these little tricks allowed us to charge without problem for over 3,000 miles on the trip. I did have to explain it to the valets at Charleston Place, though.:)

I'll post more on this when I get the car back from the Service Center.

The Service Center replaced the charge port door and everything is now working as designed. It's nice to have the functionality of the left side of the instrument panel back; Nicky is no longer warning me that the charge port door is open while I drive.

FWIW, the problem may have (oddly) affected the self-park feature. While the problem existed the self-park indication on the main screen didn't function. Now it does.

Nope. I was advised at delivery that feature is not yet enabled. Doesn't open the port door at Superchargers either.

My guess is that it will not get this capability, or it simply would have it already carried over from Model S. Tesla likely thinks that because you can just touch the door and it opens, that there is no need for the radio receiver in the car to open the port. I'd love to be wrong, but it's not like they have to write any new code for it -- same basic ports used on S and X.