TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Pano for headroom only

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by matbl, Mar 10, 2014.

1. matbl

matbl Member

I'm debating with myself about getting the pano or not. The reason to get it is extra headroom, I'm 185 cm (somewhere between 6' and 6'1") tall.
    The reasons to not get it is that it is expensive to just get ~2 inches headroom. And it seems to have some problems like creaking, leakage, etc.

Can I sit in the drivers seat without my head touching the roof without pano? What about in the back seat (not happening very often)?
    Any other advice?

2. beck.christopher

I am 6'5" and I ordered the pano for the extra headroom. If the standard roof had more headroom I would have opted for that instead.

I tried sitting in the back seat after my test drive and I was unable to sit in the back comfortably due to the head room in the rear.

3. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

I do not know if my experience is characteristic of all newer Model S's but I took delivery 5 December 2013 and I have had no creaking or leakage whatsoever after 5,000 miles of driving. I think the problems you have read about have been resolved with technical updates.

4. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

And any early problems with creaks 'n' leaks were never universal: my early Sig's pano roof has never been a problem. I got it for the headroom and I'm glad I did.

5. matbl

matbl Member

Thanks.
    An extra 4-5" compared to me is quite a lot. Would you still have ordered the pano if you were 4-5" shorter?

Are you saying you can't sit in the back seat even with the pano? Or that you couldn't when you test drove in a car without? If the test drive was without, could you sit comfortably in the drivers seat without pano?

Just trying to collect different experiences to be able to make a decission.

- - - Updated - - -

May I ask how tall you are?

6. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

6' 2"

7. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

6' on the dot with solid roof. I don't need the headroom in the front. If I sit perfectly upright in back, my head will brush the ceiling. YMMV based on torso:leg length ratio, how upright you like your seat back, etc. If you are able to visit a gallery and sit in both that would be best, of course.

8. amitb00

amitb00 Member

I am only 5' 4". I got panoramic roof. Even if you don't open it, when you look up, it is all glass and view is truly panoramic. I will strongly recommend Panoramic roof. It is way different from typical sun roofs. Cheers, Amit

9. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

6' 1" and no pano here. Have plenty of headroom up front. Didn't have an issue in the back either the couple of times I actually sat there while parked. I'm long in the legs though so, that may have helped.

I had a newish P85 loaner (VIN 28863) with a pano recently and for whatever reason, I couldn't get the driver's seat to go as low as I have it in my own car. As a result, I felt more cramped in there and felt that my head was much closer to the roof than in my car. Also, the loaner was much noisier than my car but, it could have been a combination of the 21" wheels, standard suspension and possibly, the pano roof.

I'm a happy camper with no pano; I didn't get it for a few reasons:

- it's the single biggest non-suspension-wheels-assembly piece of mechanical equipment in the car that could fail.

- even at my height with the driver's seat pushed back quite a lot, I can't quite enjoy the view through the pano as the windshield is so curved/raked that it ends (and the pano begins) too close to my head.

- when sitting in the back, at my height, I'm staring right at that prominent plasticky crossbar that runs right across the center of the pano rather than being able to enjoy the view through the roof itself.

- I've never made much use of any sun/moonroof in all the cars I had in the past (and I had one in all of them).

- At $1,500 back when I ordered almost a couple of years ago, it didn't seem justifiable. At $2,500 now, it sounds even more frivolous an option to me. If you had to choose, I'd recommend opting for something charging-related such as the twin charger.

10. matbl

matbl Member

??? Can someone else confirm this? Does the seats with non-pano go lower or is it just newer vs. older production dates?
    Because not getting the drivers seat low enough was one of the biggest problems when I went for a test drive.

11. Zextraterrestrial

newer vs older.

I had a loaner w/ pano and noticed the same thing as GG but I'm not 'tall'

2012 cars are special ;>

maybe the 'new' more comfortable seats that Tesla mentioned are different?

12. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

One other forum member experienced it:

Differences in loaner car, or am I going crazy?? - Page 2

Not sure if it had anything to do with the roof. And, not sure either if there's a pattern with all new seats. Just something a couple of us observed.

13. beck.christopher

I think I would still get the pano even if I was shorter. It's always to be able to open the roof and get a nice breeze. The pano is also the only option if you want roof racks at some point.

i am unable to sit in the back seats even with the pano do to how little headroom there is in the rear. I think some 4-5" shorter than me should have no problem in the rear seats.

I wish they had a demo car without the pano roof so I could at least have seen the difference in person.

Have you done a test drive yet?

14. matbl

matbl Member

Yes I have. Only with a pano though. Would very much like to at least sit in one without pano. But only (temp) showroom in Sweden is some 155 miles away...

15. Pate

Pate Member

#15 Pate, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
    This is my biggest worry with my order without a pano roof as well.

I'm 182cm (a bit below 6 foot) but have a long torso. I didn't want the pano roof for many of the same reasons GG explained above, plus I wanted to have better insulation during our long winters. I didn't want to tailor an insulation system like Björn did in one of his videos. :)

I haven't sit in a Model S, but based simply on numbers Model S has only 1cm less headroom than my current car (Hyundai Genesis Coupe), and I have easily 5cm or more extra headroom in my current car. So I HOPE I will find a comfortable sitting position in my coming Model S as well.

Found an interesting technical drawing from another forum post: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6637949/Pano_export.jpg (the full post is here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/6442-headroom-and-legroom/page3). I just wish they would say whether those numbers are for a pano or non-pano roof.

Pano_export.jpg

16. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

If you have anyway of sitting in the actual car that is of course the best. The pano seems to help with headroom in front seats but not the rear seats as much.

17. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

I am 6' 2" and do not have a pano roof. My head is not even close to the roof of the car when driving and I do not have the seat at its lowest position either. In the year and a half I have owned the car, I have never riden in the back of it, but I will say that the headroom in the back seat is not adequate for me. Still I would not even entertain the idea of getting the car with the pano roof, I just do not like even the very filtered light coming down on me from the pano roof. And yes, I have driven a Model S with the pano roof.

18. matbl

matbl Member

Thanks.
    Hmmm... With some help I just measured myself to about 3'1" when sitting down on the floor with a straight back. Based on the drawing, not getting the pano might cut it very close...

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the insight. I'm leaning towards skipping the pano.
    Any chance you can measure yourself while sitting down with a straight back?

19. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I am 6 ft. 1 3/4 in. tall. I did not get the pano for the reasons described by GG and Sparrow. I have over 2 in. of room above my head when sitting up front.

Of course in the back seat my head just touches the roof when I sit up straight. But I have never sat in the back for more than a few seconds: it's boring back there! :)

20. 100thMonkey

100thMonkey Member

wife and I are both 6'3". we got the pano roof and love the extra room and on occasion, get to have it open and really enjoy it, when it's not raining here. it's dark tint lets very little heat in, so it does not add to the inside temp much. it does make the low slung car more roomy. as for the creeks and such, our first p85 had the creeks, they got fixed but the new cars are much better in this regard. long story short, we traded up to a p+ and have had none of the little niggly issues that the early vins had, so much so that I actually miss hanging out at the Service Center. I think Tesla has improved dramatically from the pre 9K vin realm. LOVE this car, favorite car/company ever, hands down!