TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Pano for headroom only

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by matbl, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

My wife measured me at 35 inches while sitting in a straight back chair, measuring from the seat to the top of my head. I keep my seat in the Model S much straighter up than most people.

2. glhs272

glhs272 Unnamed plug faced villian

For what it's worth, I got the pano and have had no problems. I don't use it much, but no wind noise, squeaks, or rattles thus far.

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

It's the rear seats where there is extra headroom in the pano. The front is about the same. I don't know why they didn't treat the rear the same as the front. I also like the pano because it's easier to wash than a solid roof would be.

4. markb1

markb1 Active Member

I find if I sit in the back seat and lean back against the head rest, my head is no longer under the glass, and I hit the ceiling. Not sure if it's any worse than with the solid roof, but something to be aware of. I'm 6' 1".

5. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Voluntaryist

Get the pano- it is incredibly nice when the weather is being cooperative. I used mine today for the first time in a while and was reminded how much I love it. Much nicer than any sunroof I've ever had on any other car... partly due to it's size, but also all the natural light it lets in while still blocking the heat..

It's amazing driving with the pano open in a car so quiet- surreal. You can hear everything around you, birds chirping, etc.. on peaceful country roads it is pure bliss...

EDIT: I've even heard people ogling over the car from the sidewalk while driving down the street... "Hey look! That's a Tesla!! Bad ass, bro!"

6. tezco

tezco Sig P85

I'm 6'2" and hit the roof in the back seat of a non-pano, but have a little wiggle room under the glass in the pano. I used to fry under the tinted T-top glass of my 300ZX and was therefore wary of the pano S, but don't any complaints regarding excessive glare or heat thru the pano glass. It's a great option and complements the overall style as well, particularly since the rest of my S is white.

7. AmpedUP

AmpedUP EV Nut

I'm 6'2" and felt as though the pano was absolutely needed for headroom when I test drove. I'm wondering now if the seat could have been lowered further to give me more head room. Question for tall people with pano...does it improve your ability to see traffic signals when you pull up to an intersection and are first in line? With many cars, I find that I have to slouch in order to see a traffic signal when first at an intersection. Looking through a glass roof without slouching would be welcome.

8. tezco

tezco Sig P85

I keep my seat all the way down on every car I drive. Unless I'm missing something, I don't think the pano changes the dynamics of the view out the windshield. The pano glass is too opaque to see through, and the pop-up windscreen blocks more of your view when the top is open. A convertible is a different story; however.

9. matbl

matbl Member

Thanks for the trouble, really appreciate it.

10. lloyds

lloyds Active Member

I've noticed with the roof open, that there is a bluish glare on the screen. I'd have to turn up the display brightness to view properly. Not that bothersome, but just something I noticed since weather's getting a little better here.

11. Six

Six Member

Am 6'4" do not have a pano roof and am fine with headroom in the front. Headroom in the back without a pano roof is not adequate for me. My experience in test cars and loaners with a pano roof is that there is more headroom in the back but there is not additional headroom in the front. In fact it gives sort of an odd change to the roofline that being as tall as I am I find a little annoying (but got used to very quickly in loaner car).

As a tall driver I found the pano roof offered me almost nothing, it is out of view. And the light on screen, potential extra noise and bother meant I did not want it.

However, most people love the pano roof, it is VERY common in the cars and lack of one could effect ease of resell and value. If you want to put tall people in the back seat it is almost a must.

12. matbl

matbl Member

I've decided to go without pano for price reasons. Thanks everyone.