Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano or all glass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I just placed my order, I can still change it. I went with the Pano roof, but now I am thinking the all glass roof might be pretty impressive. If you had to do t again, which would you opt for? Good news is I got the pano for $1500 not $2,000.

I might consider the All Glass next time. I have the pano-roof on my S and while I do enjoy opening it on nice weather days, it has been the one item that has given me trouble. I have brought my car to the service center 4 times due to misalignment of the pano roof resulting in either noisy squealing when opening/closing or wind noise leaking though the rubber seal. It seems to be fixed now but I think the quieter all glass may be a viable option for me and I'll just open the windows as an alternative.

I just actually paid $500 to switch from the sunroof to all glass. Weigh the pros and cons to your personal desires:

Sunroof: roof rack and XM capable, opens if you want to vent your cabin or get fresh air overhead
All glass: more open, less risk of leaks, probably more aerodynamic, potentially quieter especially as seals age, recommended by Elon

Not sure if the frame gets reinforced for everyone or just when you take this option.

I've always had sunroofs, and they are nice, but at the same time I rarely open them. Even just to vent.... If you could get a rack on the all glass roof I'd probably go with that these days.

Lack of roof rack is a deal breaker for me though.

I've always had sunroofs, and they are nice, but at the same time I rarely open them. Even just to vent.... If you could get a rack on the all glass roof I'd probably go with that these days.

Lack of roof rack is a deal breaker for me though.

I never open mine either. If I have a bunch of kids removing my ability to fold the back seats then I'll probably add a hitch to carry bikes/skis/etc. The only thing this eliminates is if I bought a kayak and wanted to mount that for whatever reason. Hopefully by then I can afford an X and a camping trailer for the wife.

I never open mine either. If I have a bunch of kids removing my ability to fold the back seats then I'll probably add a hitch to carry bikes/skis/etc. The only thing this eliminates is if I bought a kayak and wanted to mount that for whatever reason. Hopefully by then I can afford an X and a camping trailer for the wife.

My old car (Subi Outback) I just huck my snowboard gear in the back, seats folded permanently down. I don't mind trashing my interior in that car as it's beat to hell at this point. (I still love it though, manual transmission ftw!) The interior of the S is much nicer, hence why I plan on a rack and box up top.

How do you feel about a receiver hitch? I've always used a receiver hitch to carry bikes, skis, etc because it's easier to access. On my Leaf I had the choice of rooftop or hitch and I chose the hitch for those reasons plus I felt (maybe mistakenly) that carrying the load behind the car instead of on top might be more aerodynamic.

Torklift Central | Torklift Central | 2012-2016 Tesla Model S EcoHitch

I don't really care too much about aerodynamics, 90% of the mountains I ride at are under 90 mile round trips away. (Powder Mtn up in northern Utah is a 160 mile round trip, but word on the street is they are putting in destination chargers).
Anyway, as anyone who has used a rear mount (hitch connected) ski/snowboard rack can tell you, your gear just gets covered with dirt and salt. It's a terrible way to transport your equipment, a exposed ski rack on top is almost as bad. If you care about your gear, get a box.

I can't speak for summer equipment racks. I assume bikes are more resilient to dirt and rain on a rear hitch rack. Also no salt on the roads in the summertime to mess them up.

All Glass. The pano is the number one source of wind noise in the cabin. I would retrofit the all glass roof if that was ever an option. I love the open feeling with the pano, just constantly disappointed in how much noise it introduces.
Wind noise? Do you have a citation for that?
I can't possibly imagine that the very slight seams on that roof make all that much difference in wind noise, I certainly have never noticed noise specifically coming from the roof when not open.

I would do All Glass in a heart beat.

Every time I open my sunroof, I close it within a few minutes. It's crazy noisy when open, and sun beating down is uncomfortable.

I got the sunroof mainly for the increased head room and more open feeling. The All Glass option does that without the big bar across the middle and saves $500. Definitely the way we will go my wife's Model 3 and whenever I get around to upgrading the Model S again.

I got the pano primarily for XM radio. I do open it to vent on occasion, especially when parked and it's really hot outside, but:
  • Cabin overheat protection reduces or eliminates the need for roof venting.
  • Slacker and TuneIn can get almost everything XM can get. I believe you can even get the major news stations on TuneIn now.
My lease is up in April of 2018, next time I will probably go with the glass roof instead and forgo XM.

Reactions: tmarcc and davidc18