Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano or all glass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh yes... absolutely. No disagreement there.

I just thought it was surprising because Elon kept quoting over and over that ALL newer technology would be introduced to the MS and MX first. Technically...it will be officially in the MS first, however I wonder if the M3 was already being produced....that it wouldn't receive Tesla Glass at the same time or first.

Not sure, but whatever the impetus, -MS/MX first, competitiive pressure, margin management, timing/availability- Tesla is now offering a better margined option for its S line, teasing the heck out of 000's 2017 M3 owners (now planning to increase their spend by $1K or so, like you, right?) while soon-to-be Bolt owners may pause for a closer look. Just another day in the life of Tesla's playbook.

I also just paid the $500 to change my P100DL order to all-glass. I only open the pano roof on my existing car maybe a half-dozen times a year, and even then it is not that special for me. When I want the top-down experience, I have my precious Roadster!

The seamless sky view will be great for drives in the mountains, and I expect as various people mentioned above, it could well be quieter. I just did a long road trip where I was cruising at 85 mph in Montana, and the whistling noise from the pano roof was noticeable. Besides, Elon personally recommends it!

• Love
Reactions: davidc18 and DIL
Not sure, but whatever the impetus, -MS/MX first, competitiive pressure, margin management, timing/availability- Tesla is now offering a better margined option for its S line, teasing the heck out of 000's 2017 M3 owners (now planning to increase their spend by $1K or so, like you, right?) while soon-to-be Bolt owners may pause for a closer look. Just another day in the life of Tesla's playbook.
What? What do all of those words mean?

Reactions: liuping and jwilf
I have the pano roof on order as it was too late for me to get the glass roof. Having never had a sunroof without a cover, I am worried about rain with both the all glass and panorama glass roofs. Not rain leaking in, but noise resulting from rain hitting the glass. My current car has a normal-sized sunroof with a sunroof cover, and that cover makes a noticeable impact in reducing noise from the rain hitting the top of the car.

I live in Oregon, so this is of some concern to me, lol. i am wondering if the rain hitting the top of glass makes a noticeable impact in cabin noise level - there is always a lot of noise from rain hitting the windshield so maybe the glass roof doesn't add that much to the cacaphony. Anyone with the pano roof found that it is louder than a previous car without a sunroof (or a sunroof with a retractable cover)?

I am thinking of getting the sunroof cover and putting some acoustic foam in there like Bjorn did in his video...

When you have a good look at the configurator it seems the glass roof model is slightly taller than the sun roof version. I think the pictures on the configurator are Photoshopped so it's not clear what really will be the case. Still, could it be that the glass roof model will be taller?

I was at a 360 this weekend and was told that for the glass roof config the beam above the driver's head (b pillar?) would not be there anymore but the a-pillar beam in front of the driver's head would still be there. I'm very tempted to change my config from sun- into glass roof.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
When you have a good look at the configurator it seems the glass roof model is slightly taller than the sun roof version. I think the pictures on the configurator are Photoshopped so it's not clear what really will be the case. Still, could it be that the glass roof model will be taller?

I was at a 360 this weekend and was told that for the glass roof config the beam above the driver's head (b pillar?) would not be there anymore but the a-pillar beam in front of the driver's head would still be there. I'm very tempted to change my config from sun- into glass roof.

What is a 360?

Since I just placed my order, I can still change it. I went with the Pano roof, but now I am thinking the all glass roof might be pretty impressive. If you had to do t again, which would you opt for? Good news is I got the pano for $1500 not $2,000.
How tall are you? I'm 6'3" and there is actually more driver headroom without the pano (no pano in my car) than with a pano car. I found this out by test driving and was reinforced when I had a loner with pano and hit my head several times on the roof, this doesn't happen in my car with no pano and probably won't either in an all glass roof. I specifically hit the beam on the left side which is much wider on a car with a pano roof

The only way to really tell is to see it in person. Whom ever gets there hands on one first please post pictures. But if I was to purchase a tesla again, depending on the amount of heat that the all glass roof lets in, I would go this route. No sunroof for me. But this would be nice if the cabin stays cool. Think it may also be quieter in the rain. That is if it ever rains again. Doh.