TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Pano roof an option for Gen3?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by aronth5, Dec 23, 2012.

1. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Sun roofs are common today on most make and models and certainly for the BMW 3 series.
    So will Tesla offer:
    -Optional Pano roof?
    -Classic sun roof?
    -Scaled down pano room?
    Perhaps something similiar to my wife's VW Jetta Sportswagen TDI with lots of glass, limited opening but without the railings since they will cause air drag.
    -Would definitely like to see the option to easily attach roof railing/rack which is not an option on the Model S without the pano roof. That seems like an omission which Tesla should address this time around.
    glass roof.JPG

2. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

My guesses:

-Optional Pano roof? Yes. Why wouldn't they? They have the experience of making them work. So you stick with what you know.
    -Classic sun roof? No. This is an easy way for them to set themselves apart while maintaining a general appeal.
    -Scaled down pano roof? Maybe. Only if the full scale version doesn't work functionally.
    -Would definitely like to see the option to easily attach roof railing/rack which is not an option on the Model S without the pano roof. That seems like an omission which Tesla should address this time around.
    It's not an omission. Tesla is going for a highly aerodynamic design and roof racks create a lot of drag. Functionally they will have to come up with a way to have them but I would expect it to come on the Gen III crossover and not the sedan.

3. huntjo

huntjo Member

The model S with pano roof comes with 4 screw in attachment points to attach a roof rack. It is known.