Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano roof brackets broken! Tesla won't repair due to salvage vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The vehicle may have a title of salvage but I have posted many photos of the damage and anybody with just a bit of automotive or engineering can see this vehicle is in no way compromised or considered to be unsupported for the remainder of its life,

The extent of the damage is immaterial if it was given a salvage title. Tesla's policy isn't that they invalidate the warranty and Supercharging if the car has a salvage title and the damage is significant/compromises the car. Tesla relies on the insurance company to make that determination.

For all we know part of why the car was written off was because of the broken pano brackets which are very expensive to repair correctly. (As you have pointed out many times.) Insurance companies aren't in the business of writing off slightly damaged cars and then having to pay out to replace it. They had a reason.

Plus one on that...and Tesla's policy for salvage cars is no different than any other car manufacturer. Once a car is written off, there is no warranty or support for the car. A salvage title means just that...legally speaking the car is considered undrivable and to be used for salvage parts. The fact some people buy salvage cars for pennies on the dollar and then repair them such that they can be used is testament to their persistence and ingenuity, but from the insurance company and car manufacturer's perspective, that car is good only for parts.

BTW, the same is true of airplanes. And you haven't seen somebody upset until they buy a plane worth more than a million dollars for a song and then discover they have all kinds of issues getting support and/or getting it certified to fly again by the FAA. Makes working with salvage cars look like a piece of cake.

Reactions: azdryheat
This car is all electronic , and relies on software that is proprietary only to the Tesla company , where does one take the car to get it checked / repaired etc? Thats not the point the point I'm raising is that I have taken many cars to other dealerships that have had a previous title and they are more then happy to still work on the vehicles , and support you. The car is not just worth parts, its back on the road and driving perfectly fine, if an insurance company makes a financial decision on a pay out that should not make or break the manufacturers standard of the vehicles reliability , I guess all the big boys play together then! Insurance says write off Tesla agrees? engineer says not write off, Tesla disagrees and sticks with insurance!

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Here is one last idea for your consideration. Seal up the pano roof and accept that this feature isn't that useful in the heat of summer. Install 30 solar panels and run your restored Model S on sunshine. The business case is easy and by making the Tesla your daily driver you can recover the original investment in car and panels. You may even discover that for 90% of your driving Supercharging is not required (we seldom use it).

Running a vehicle on sunshine makes us feel good as it is the future. Our collection of gas vehicles are classics and we use them so little that fuel cost and pollution are not factors. Eventually the Model S will be our only vehicle but until then the motorcycle, sports cars, and pick up truck still provide utility and enjoyment.

Take care.

Here is one last idea for your consideration. Seal up the pano roof and accept that this feature isn't that useful in the heat of summer. Install 30 solar panels and run your restored Model S on sunshine. The business case is easy and by making the Tesla your daily driver you can recover the original investment in car and panels. You may even discover that for 90% of your driving Supercharging is not required (we seldom use it).

Running a vehicle on sunshine makes us feel good as it is the future. Our collection of gas vehicles are classics and we use them so little that fuel cost and pollution are not factors. Eventually the Model S will be our only vehicle but until then the motorcycle, sports cars, and pick up truck still provide utility and enjoyment.

Take care.

I have sealed up the roof unfortunately as sad as that is actually, the pano roof is designed to do the complete opposite actually! "Enjoy the sunshine!, the stars, the sky, the trees, the sun tan, the air and natural surrounding noises when you want to !

it also is a very cool look to see ones car inside lit up by sunlight above, but due to a stupid flaw design ,one needs to resort to dumping a $10,000 option away! anyway me getting my money back on this car is not an issue , never was or will be actually. If I dont get my asking price the car will be rented out at $250 a day as a rental or I will keep for myself, regardless of what happens this isn't about me or the cars future , this is about a situation and a company dealing with it and it's customer.

I am not worried about the supercharging and it is something only useful when travelling long distances (which people seldomly do) and even then you can always buy a "CHadeMo adapter" for a few hundred and solve that issue. I dont know how to install solar panels or who and how that would work HAHAHA , but it is a good idea.... imagine Tesla made a convertible and the roof malfunctioned to, what do you suggest ? "seal up the roof?" HAHAHAHA

Well you are not far off with your final comment. We have a classic collectable sports car (wife's car) and it is a convertible. Technically the roof has malfunctioned as the fabric is worn and needs to be replaced. Instead, we keep the optional hard top installed all of the time and the car is both usable and comfortable. Running with the top down caused a lot of sunburn and wind was an issue until a defector was installed. Worst of all it leaked in the rain causing damage to the leather seats. The practical solution was to keep the hard top installed and run the A/C in summer. Practical is always my first choice.

It sounds like you have a plan for the Model S so go for it and if you decide to install solar panels use micro-inverters (one per panel) as the installation and safety are both better. Feed into the grid during the day and charge the car at night. In a few years the car will run for free on sunshine.

Reactions: DARK_VADAR
Well you are not far off with your final comment. We have a classic collectable sports car (wife's car) and it is a convertible. Technically the roof has malfunctioned as the fabric is worn and needs to be replaced. Instead, we keep the optional hard top installed all of the time and the car is both usable and comfortable. Running with the top down caused a lot of sunburn and wind was an issue until a defector was installed. Worst of all it leaked in the rain causing damage to the leather seats. The practical solution was to keep the hard top installed and run the A/C in summer. Practical is always my first choice.

It sounds like you have a plan for the Model S so go for it and if you decide to install solar panels use micro-inverters (one per panel) as the installation and safety are both better. Feed into the grid during the day and charge the car at night. In a few years the car will run for free on sunshine.

if I keep the car I will be doing this! where does one buy these and how to hack into the charge system / battery ? very interesting idea you got me thinking now

No hacking required. Check your local suppliers for solar panel components as it really is a DIY project. My wife and son helped and it was as easy as connecting light bulbs in parallel. Each solar panel produces 250W so after inverting the DC to 240VAC you get about 1 amp per panel. These can be connected in parallel like light bulbs and then connected to your main house panel box. The solar energy will flow back into the grid and all you then need is a bidirectional meter and approval from your power company. The energy that you add to the grid during the day (sunshine hours) can then be retrieved at night to charge the car. It's a simple L2 charging circuit at that point.

If you inquire and explain to the solar panel supplier that you are not charging a battery to be off grid but feeding into the grid, they can provide the racks, rails, wiring, micro-inverters and solar panels.

Pick a calm day with no wind when installing panels as that part is a two man job.

In our view solar generation and an EV are the perfect match. By feeding into the grid you can use the power for other appliances if the Tesla is sold. The only tricky part is getting approvals to connect to the grid so patience helps.

They have banned me from all there workshops because I asked them how long will the repair take to get my radar system calibrated as they also wanted to carry out a "airbag recall" but I didn't have 5 hours to sit around and wait so the service advisor went down stairs and told his technicians to stop working on the car, whole thing was recorded police came to remove me for "trespassing" apparently even though I was booked in that day from two weeks earlier.

The day I attended the Tesla dealership it was raining they were aware my windows were not opening or closing due to some fault they were still yet to diagnose, Tesla returned me back my vehicle with the window opened and refused to close it having police asking me to leave within three minutes or else I would be arrested for "trespassing" as a result the water has come into my car damaged:

my seat
door
door handle
door module
door trim
door switch
dashboard
instrument cluster
seat, and steering wheel.

Currently I am still unable to close my window and using plastic sheet with tape to keep bugs, weather etc out of the car. No other car manufacturer has the schematic diagrams to know what wires run the window motor to over ride and close the window "only Tesla" and they have refused to close the window and have banned me from ever Tesla dealership in my country ! maybe because they are reading these posts on here and wanting Tesla to lift off in Australia and generate them income and I have unfortunately told people exactly my experience with the company and the car.

They are finding the pill of truth a hard one to swallow soon they will also find them treating there customers like rubbish an expensive one. I will also be pursuing them on the advice they had given me of the car had warranty and free super charging prior to me purchasing the car, only to find out Tesla has voided both after I had purchased the car.

I am aware also of a recent court case of Sheikh Et al and rightly so customers were "promised the world and given a map"

Last edited:
No other car manufacturer has the schematic diagrams to know what wires run the window motor to over ride and close the window "only Tesla"

I thought that Tesla opened up their service manuals to everyone now. (Not for free of course, but anyone that wanted to work on Teslas can get a subscription to the service manuals.

they have refused to close the window and have banned me from ever Tesla dealership in my country

There must be more to the story than you just saying you couldn't wait for them to perform the safety recall on the air-bag...

Lets see how my court case pans out with Tesla this Autumn , I'm beginning proceedings against Tesla Australia :)

I know next to nothing of AU legal system, but I suspect that any lawyer taking your case is likely to be planning to rob you as you have no grounds to sue Tesla AU.

SALVAGE TITLE absolves Tesla of ANY FURTHER SUPPORT for your SALVAGE TESLA.

Why is this so hard for you to understand?

If you are to pursue anyone, I would recommend going after your seller if he/she failed to disclose the SALVAGE TITLE; otherwise, the person looking back at you in the mirror made some major mistakes.

Best to LEARN FROM THEM . . . .

They have banned me from all there workshops because I asked them how long will the repair take to get my radar system calibrated as they also wanted to carry out a "airbag recall" but I didn't have 5 hours to sit around and wait so the service advisor went down stairs and told his technicians to stop working on the car, whole thing was recorded police came to remove me for "trespassing" apparently even though I was booked in that day from two weeks earlier.

The day I attended the Tesla dealership it was raining they were aware my windows were not opening or closing due to some fault they were still yet to diagnose, Tesla returned me back my vehicle with the window opened and refused to close it having police asking me to leave within three minutes or else I would be arrested for "trespassing" as a result the water has come into my car damaged:

my seat
door
door handle
door module
door trim
door switch
dashboard
instrument cluster

Currently I am still unable to close my window and using plastic sheet with tape to keep bugs, weather etc out of the car. No other car manufacturer has the schematic diagrams to know what wires run the window motor to over ride and close the window "only Tesla" and they have refused to close the window and have banned me from ever Tesla dealership in my country ! maybe because they are reading these posts on here and wanting Tesla to lift off in Australia and generate them income and I have unfortunately told people exactly my experience with the company and the car.

They are finding the pill of truth a hard one to swallow soon they will also find them treating there customers like rubbish an expensive one. I will also be pursuing them on the advice they had given me of the car had warranty and free super charging prior to me purchasing the car, only to find out Tesla has voided both after I had purchased the car.

I am aware also of a recent court case of Sheikh Et al and rightly so customers were "promised the world and given a map"

Dark Vadar,

You appear disruptive, rude, and ill-informed, and then you asked Tesla in an unkind way to fix a car that has a SALVAGE TITLE, and which they have no legal responsibility to support.

I would suggest that your posts here are a reflection of your personality. Tesla was correct to call the police and have you removed.

Please take this advice meant to help you: Rather than battle Tesla on a case which you will lose, I politely suggest some therapy to find out what has gone so wrong with your personality which comes across as demanding, and overwhelmingly impolite, particularly in light of your own poor choices/mistakes which have lead you to all this drama, drama for which you blame Tesla . . . .

Reactions: StarLog

my seat
door
door handle
door module
door trim
door switch
dashboard
instrument cluster

I think this is hilarious. A car with a salvage title is JUNK and you take that risk when you buy it. Clearly the car was way more f*cked up than u had any idea of. You tried to get something for nothing and failed miserably. I'm so happy tesla has banned you from all service centers and refuses to touch your car. Your posts are entitled and obnoxious and I'm sure tesla AU hopes you never come near another tesla again.

Reactions: StarLog

my seat
door
door handle
door module
door trim
door switch
dashboard
instrument cluster

When is your court date and is it in Sydney?
I get there quite often and would like to observe this.

Hi guys Alex here from Sydney Australia (Down under) So my car was a few years ago involved in a very minor front end scratch to the bumper and was unfortunately determined by the insurance at the time to be salvage title, yet not deemed to be a "complete salvage" meaning the vehicle is allowed to be repaired and put back on the road. So Tesla has said that the vehicle will no longer be "supported with updates" however my issue is this, if the vehicle requires an update that improves safety to the vehicle and its occupants, but more importantly the public should the vehicle be "less safe" without the updates, does Tesla have a duty of care still , and should they update the car even thought there policy for salvage title cars is to "not support any updates?" I'm speaking with lawyers as to how to proceed, as I find myself too anxious to drive the car should it be not patched and updated exposing me and other people on the road to safety issues im unaware of and possibly be held responsible for, moreover fearful I hurt myself. Nobody else has the ability to update the car and if they do they are not Tesla and could possibly put any update bug or stuff it up "accidentally" and then cause even further safety matters.

Hi everyone thank you for all your replys , especially the ones who are apparently calling me "names, obnoxious, etc" and aren't wishing for me to own a Tesla!

Firstly if a car has a minor front bumper scratch and fender , it does not render the car "useless" well I would of thought in a new world where the world is heading towards sustainability and "recycling" precisely what this company stands for, it would be in there interests if anything to put a car back on the road (recycle) especially when the damage is negligible and minimal, however in saying so. The insurance assessors found the vehicle to be safe enough to be put back on a road and I did exactly that in two days, and car drives perfect for all the people saying "throw it in the bin, its a waste of money, I only have me to blame" :)

I was banned and police called because the technician wanted to do a "Takata airbag recall" the day I was booked in for a "radar calibration", even the service advisor himself the same day said "you have until 2020 to do this as your vehicle is less than 6 years old and isnt really at risk at this time", that day I hadn't planned to spend the whole day for an airbag removal and installation and told the service manager we will do it but not today to where he lost it and said "ok I will tell the techs to stop working on your car altogether and you can take your car out of here"

At this stage I followed him to tell him hey mate I did not say to stop working on the car and that's when he screamed at me said "get out of the workshop we are calling the police and pushed me (assaulted me)" as you will hear in the phone conversation between him and the police , he is saying "this customer is not getting what he wants" and this is the reason for him calling the police, now the question is what is it I wanted ? well I just didn't want to spend 5 hours at the service dealership to do an airbag exchange that I wasn't firstly booked in for and secondly planned my day for. Nevertheless the police came like they do, and said "they don't want you here, and its there property if they say you got to go, you do otherwise you could be arrested for trespassing", at this stage I attended to there other dealership to get them to close the window they "left opened on a rainy day and refused to close" anyway also recorded is my next conversation with the other dealership in relation to closing the window which they also refused, and told me to leave or police will be called. up to now I still have not once swore or threatened anyone , so for all of you saying that I deserve this and that its good. if me asking the technician to book the airbag recall in for another day makes me "bad" well I guess then im ok with that :)

Considering Tesla does not provide updates to "salvage title vehicles" does this not pose a safety risk to myself, the next buyer, the occupants, also the public, considering I have been told the software updates patch up "safety issues and make the car safer" not to mention the hacking that the chines did to the car being able to press the brakes and open the doors whilst the car was in motion.

Now If all of you agree to teslas decision making in regard to my my vehicle, then I really do not know what else to tell you. :) I think you need to question yourselves about the worth of human life you place verses your allegiance to an electric car company :), actually I think Tesla needs to question themselves about it.