Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano roof brackets broken! Tesla won't repair due to salvage vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note (bmah/efusco): 3 related threads now merged

Hey guys my first post here , be gentle :) bought my first Tesla Model S 2017 and opened the roof only to realise the brackets on the roof are cracked!!!! is this something im missing or a common occurrence on the model S :'( I am so upset I've only had the car a week, is there a fix or is this something else im missing, how do I fix it ? im also out of my warranty as I bought the car as a used vehicle from the second owner

Moderator note #2 (efusco): Most key details are farther down thread. This vehicle was purchased used, apparently salvage title and thus Tesla will not offer to repair. That information will help out the rest of the discussion into perspective. Also, the OP put duct tape across the broken roof to keep water from leaking in, thus the extensive tape residue.

Last edited by a moderator:
here are some photos of the brackets cracked :( did I do something wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_2246.jpeg
    IMG_2246.jpeg
    267.6 KB · Views: 1,003
  • IMG_2245.jpeg
    IMG_2245.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 941
  • IMG_2239.jpeg
    IMG_2239.jpeg
    423.8 KB · Views: 878
  • IMG_2237.jpeg
    IMG_2237.jpeg
    518.3 KB · Views: 886
  • IMG_2240.jpeg
    IMG_2240.jpeg
    270.3 KB · Views: 877
My Tesla S panoramic roof brackets are broken and Tesla will not do the repair , or even discuss how these are to be fitted on the car. I can't drive around with broken brackets as it is dangerous. I would like to know has anyone ever done this repair, I understand it isn't a simple basic fix and will require a full day if not longer, I just need to know how to tackle this job as Tesla Sydney Australia wants nothing to do with it, and won't warranty it :(

Alex

What year is your Model S? Does the parts catalog help? https://epc.teslamotors.com/#/systemGroups/53901

I had a look at that , cheers for reminding me. I wasn't sure if I had to disassemble the whole headliner from inside the car remove the whole roof cassette to replace the parts, they are tiny brackets, Tesla has already got them out to me. Just not sure how or where to start with this repair , or if its even a DIY :'(

Hi guys I didn't have my notifications on to my email and didnt see any of these replies until just now, the vehicle was brought privately. I am based in Sydney Australia.
The vehicle has 23.000kms only and I put the tape to seal off any water from getting in to destroy the interior until I got some solution for this, I called Tesla they said because the car was previously involved in an accident they would void any warranty and the lifetime supercharging that came with the car. However prior to purchase they told me that it still had warranty and supercharging

Attachments

• IMG_2326.JPG
    IMG_2326.JPG
    702.4 KB · Views: 807
  • Informative
Reactions: Cloxxki and neroden
I would ask myself if I really need the pano roof feature. We find that it's either hot AC weather or cold Heater weather so we never open the roof. It does get lubrication service by Tesla at the biannual check ups but without that I would not know if the roof actually opens. So my suggestion is called Black Sikaflex marine sealant which is the adhesive sealant used to mount a windshield.

Sealing it up would be a DIY project and repair can be for the next owner.

A thought for your consideration.

• Funny
Reactions: DARK_VADAR
I called Tesla they said because the car was previously involved in an accident they would void any warranty and the lifetime supercharging that came with the car.

That would usually suggest that it wasn't just 'involved in an accident' but was actually written off, are you sure this isn't a repaired salvage that you've been sold?

I would ask myself if I really need the pano roof feature. We find that it's either hot AC weather or cold Heater weather so we never open the roof. It does get lubrication service by Tesla at the biannual check ups but without that I would not know if the roof actually opens. So my suggestion is called Black Sikaflex marine sealant which is the adhesive sealant used to mount a windshield.

Sealing it up would be a DIY project and repair can be for the next owner.

A thought for your consideration.

This crossed my mind at one point before it immediately dissapeared. My concerns are many, the new owner tried to open the roof one day and crack , smash goes all the glass into his $100k Tesla interior! , worse if he is driving (dangerous) , 2. When I go to get the car roadworthy certificate , the roof is considered a window and would need to demonstrate it opens and closes, 3. If I was to glue the glass down , how would the next owner or the one after know this and disassemble "my glue"? 4. Should this next owner drive on a highway and choose to let some air into the car from winding down windows and the roof glue in time gives and roof comes flying off smashing car behind.... as you can see there are many possibilities here and many are very real, maybe Tesla should do the right thing by there customers and just not void there warranties or explain the process of repairing this. I just need to know is it a "REMOVE WHOLE ROOF" job? :(

This is a duplicate post. The issue is this is likely a salvage vehicle and the seller didn’t disclose it. Warranty is dead. 2 options are get a lawyer and go after seller, or pay a Tesla mechanic on the side to fix it.

There are actually many various options, one and most accurately is to go after Tesla company!

they are selling High voltage vehicles who have exclusively trained techs, who are qualified to work on these cars, yet they refuse to touch them and put them into the hands of "non-testa qualified technicians" from the public and expose them to death /serious danger!

There technicians to do this on the side would have there asses kicked, if not fired immediately should they perform any work on a HV vehicle out of work to make a profit, and there is so much other things that could go wrong to him at my house or his , and tools required etc.

The vehicle didnt sustain a serious enough impact to compromise the vehicles to deem it unsafe, yet Tesla wants nothing to do with it at all, just hope to god that none of you crash your Tesla and the insurance company decides to make you repair it, here is what will happen to you. Silliest company I have come across so far if you ask me.

There are actually many various options, one and most accurately is to go after Tesla company!

they are selling High voltage vehicles who have exclusively trained techs, who are qualified to work on these cars, yet they refuse to touch them and put them into the hands of "non-testa qualified technicians" from the public and expose them to death /serious danger!

There technicians to do this on the side would have there asses kicked, if not fired immediately should they perform any work on a HV vehicle out of work to make a profit, and there is so much other things that could go wrong to him at my house or his , and tools required etc.

The vehicle didnt sustain a serious enough impact to compromise the vehicles to deem it unsafe, yet Tesla wants nothing to do with it at all, just hope to god that none of you crash your Tesla and the insurance company decides to make you repair it, here is what will happen to you. Silliest company I have come across so far if you ask me.

If you feel that strongly about the company or the product, why keep the car or even invest more money in it. Sounds like selling and getting something else is the right answer for you.