Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano roof brackets broken! Tesla won't repair due to salvage vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
here is the apparent dangerous car that Tesla was not willing to look or touch yet a 22 year old painter repaired in less then 2 days only removing a fender and replacing a drive shaft. So this car now voids warranty and loses its supercharging, and Tesla will not send me any updates , or touch this vehicle in there dealerships, so here I am on a forum trying to find out how to replace a Pano Roof bracket Ive had every car one could think of not one of the other companies have ever did this to me ever!

NEVER TESLA AGAIN! I made a promise

Attachments

• 56385830888__543B15A9-D460-47AC-8AAC-C25DAE27AE52.jpg
    56385830888__543B15A9-D460-47AC-8AAC-C25DAE27AE52.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 271
  • e6af26df-c993-4197-8dc8-0915990849e9.jpg
    e6af26df-c993-4197-8dc8-0915990849e9.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 247
  • 5199b928-4cda-4a6c-893c-5bf4c1647a4c.jpg
    5199b928-4cda-4a6c-893c-5bf4c1647a4c.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_2334.jpeg
    IMG_2334.jpeg
    913.7 KB · Views: 244
the car had a bent fender and drive shaft popped out, thats as far extent the damage goes , have a look at the photos with the fender off you will notice the vehicles structural integrity is in tact and untouched

Attachments

• e6af26df-c993-4197-8dc8-0915990849e9.jpg
    e6af26df-c993-4197-8dc8-0915990849e9.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 234
  • 5199b928-4cda-4a6c-893c-5bf4c1647a4c.jpg
    5199b928-4cda-4a6c-893c-5bf4c1647a4c.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 230
  • 56385830888__543B15A9-D460-47AC-8AAC-C25DAE27AE52.jpg
    56385830888__543B15A9-D460-47AC-8AAC-C25DAE27AE52.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 228
Tesla does not void the warranty and disable supercharging on a car that has been in an accident that had NOT been totaled by the insurance company. Only when a car is in an accident and the insurance company declares the vehicle to be a total loss (resulting in the issuance of a salvage title if the car is rebuilt), will Tesla void any remaining warranty on the car and prevent future supercharging.

It sounds like the insurance company determined the cost to repair the vehicle exceeded the value of the car (which is not difficult to do with a Tesla) and totaled it, and someone thereafter repaired the car, which was then issued a salvage title and subsequently bought by you without your knowledge that the car was a salvage vehicle.

As to Tesla initially telling you that the car had a warranty and that supercharging was enabled and you now found out otherwise, it often takes some time until the fact that the car has a salvage title reaches Tesla.

In the US, Tesla will not take responsibility for a car that has been written off and granted a salvage of market title.
Not sure about the details of Tesla. Are they refusing to work of the car at all, or willing to do the repair at the customers expensive?

If the car has a salvage title Supercharging and warranty are usually voided.

There are actually many various options, one and most accurately is to go after Tesla company

If I remember correctly I read on this forum that there was a person that purchased a totaled Tesla in NZ and took it back to AU (or the other way around), repaired the car but was not granted supercharger use or the warranty, even though Tesla told him before he purchased the car that it had both features. He sued, it went to arbitration and he lost.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
To fix this just take off the glass and replace the broken brackets. Tesla should be able to tell you what the part is and you can buy from them even with salvage.

Removal

Note: Before beginning this procedure, prepare a covered surface or workbench to support the moving glass after it is removed from the vehicle.
  1. Fully open the panoramic moving glass.
  2. Remove and discard the mounting screws (x4) that secure the moving glass to the link assemblies (torque 5 Nm).
    Caution: The mounting screws are one time use. Ensure that new screws are used during reinstallation.
  3. Lift the moving glass panel upwards to remove it.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and Russell
This crossed my mind at one point before it immediately dissapeared. My concerns are many, the new owner tried to open the roof one day and crack , smash goes all the glass into his $100k Tesla interior! , worse if he is driving (dangerous) , 2. When I go to get the car roadworthy certificate , the roof is considered a window and would need to demonstrate it opens and closes, 3. If I was to glue the glass down , how would the next owner or the one after know this and disassemble "my glue"? 4. Should this next owner drive on a highway and choose to let some air into the car from winding down windows and the roof glue in time gives and roof comes flying off smashing car behind.... as you can see there are many possibilities here and many are very real, maybe Tesla should do the right thing by there customers and just not void there warranties or explain the process of repairing this. I just need to know is it a "REMOVE WHOLE ROOF" job? :(

It sounds like you have a plan in mind but if it fails this suggestion may still be valid. Adhesive sealant is strong enough to hold a windshield in place so holding the pano glass closed should not be an issue. To be extra safe cut the wire to the pano motor and make a note for the next owner. It's a low cost fix. The risk in removing the roof is that it's heavy and any mistakes will cost you much more.

As vehicles get older simple repairs and disabled features make sense unless it's a restoration of show. That's been my experience.

It sounds like you have a plan in mind but if it fails this suggestion may still be valid. Adhesive sealant is strong enough to hold a windshield in place so holding the pano glass closed should not be an issue. To be extra safe cut the wire to the pano motor and make a note for the next owner. It's a low cost fix. The risk in removing the roof is that it's heavy and any mistakes will cost you much more.

As vehicles get older simple repairs and disabled features make sense unless it's a restoration of show. That's been my experience.

The glue they use on the front windscreen has force pushing the glass against the car , not wind coming into the car and pushing upwards! I think it is a very last resort and not something id do to a car and a Tesla for that matter, maybe a 1995 model car, thanks for your input :)

To fix this just take off the glass and replace the broken brackets. Tesla should be able to tell you what the part is and you can buy from them even with salvage.

Removal

Note: Before beginning this procedure, prepare a covered surface or workbench to support the moving glass after it is removed from the vehicle.
  1. Fully open the panoramic moving glass.
  2. Remove and discard the mounting screws (x4) that secure the moving glass to the link assemblies (torque 5 Nm).
    Caution: The mounting screws are one time use. Ensure that new screws are used during reinstallation.
  3. Lift the moving glass panel upwards to remove it.

ive removed all the brackets I did this about two weeks ago, Tesla did send me out the brackets, and was free of charge I guess they saved me $84.00 but took away from the vehicle thousands in warranty and super charging, I just cant wait till Tesla hackers finally get a way around Tesla and we can do as we please with our vehicles, I know I can take my Mercedes to any shop and get it worked on, Tesla is just like apple locked there cars only to benefit themselves and no body else ! How do you install the new ones ? the old brackets dont just out AHHAAH if thats what you thought, im sure I need to drop the whole roof from inside the car and remove the whole roof cassette :( which would not be easy and very messy to the very sensitive roof lining that is near impossible to clean

• Helpful
This is a salvage title though, right?

The OP has been asked this question several times in this thread but has not answered the question. However, based on the facts that he indicated that the car was in an accident (although he claims it was a minor accident) and as result Tesla voided the warranty on the vehicle plus its ability to use the superchargers, one can conclude that the vehicle must have a salvage title.

The OP should ask Tesla if they would re-enable fast charging on his car. It appears Tesla has done that for at least some owners of salvage titled vehicles. Then he could use a CHAdeMO adapter to charge his car. It’s not the same as being able to use the supercharger network but it’s better than having to charge with L2 chargers.

Reactions: DARK_VADAR
The OP has been asked this question several times in this thread but has not answered the question. However, based on the facts that he indicated that the car was in an accident (although he claims it was a minor accident) and as result Tesla voided the warranty on the vehicle plus its ability to use the superchargers, one can conclude that the vehicle must have a salvage title.

The OP should ask Tesla if they would re-enable fast charging on his car. It appears Tesla has done that for at least some owners of salvage titled vehicles. Then he could use a CHAdeMO adapter to charge his car. It’s not the same as being able to use the supercharger network but it’s better than having to charge with L2 chargers.

I am speaking with Tesla at the moment and trying to get through this to see if it is going to be an option which would be very convenient for a car that would require such a facility. The vehicle unfortunately is a salvage title yes, however as the photos demonstrate the damage is minor and no where near the HV system of the car compromising it. I think if Tesla was able to open the vehicle with there mechanics and inspect to see that it is not an issue to there SuperCharging systems and that the repairs were done correctly they would reinstate supercharging for the car, but this would all be at my expense im imagining

yes it is "Salvage title" but its ridiculous the reasons they put these titles on these cars in my country, I once had my SL65 keyed on the door and it was written off too :(

Unfortunately it doesn't really matter if you agree with the decision to write-off a particular car, the implications are easy to find and you have to take them into account when deciding to purchase a salvaged vehicle, so there isn't much point in trying to blame Tesla later for things that were easy to discover up-front.

I do have some sympathy for you regarding the way Tesla Australia handle the recertification process though, as it doesn't seem to be as smooth and predictable as it is in other countries.

Reactions: DARK_VADAR
Unfortunately it doesn't really matter if you agree with the decision to write-off a particular car, the implications are easy to find and you have to take them into account when deciding to purchase a salvaged vehicle, so there isn't much point in trying to blame Tesla later for things that were easy to discover up-front.

I do have some sympathy for you regarding the way Tesla Australia handle the recertification process though, as it doesn't seem to be as smooth and predictable as it is in other countries.

The issue is before I purchased the car Tesla told me it was under warranty and had supercharging hence I bought the dam thing , only to find out after two weeks they have decided to void it !!!

. Im about to walk into there main branch and record them and post it to my facebook and YouTube , if you guys see the way they are towards me! So apprehensive , they were very reluctant to sell me parts for the car initially and then about 3 weeks later many many phone calls unanswered and ever returned, 4 emails I finally got them to be humane and help me get my car back on to the road.

I still wont ever go Tesla again after this experience , unless there policies change and the customer service in that company particularly in Australia. I have had many cars and been to many dealerships never did I once have the experience I did with Tesla North Sydney dealership honestly speaking

• Informative
I've read in a few places that you can get Tesla to inspect and re-certify the car to enable supercharging, but it costs quite a bit of money.

They will come around to this, but do I really want this fight and headache. Ill happily pay for my own parts should they fail in the next 12 months and charge my car at home :) they can stick there policy of voiding my warranty and supercharging up there back sides. They really have left a sour taste in my mouth, im selling the car already and haven't even owned it longer then a 6 months

• Informative
The issue is before I purchased the car Tesla told me it was under warranty and had supercharging hence I bought the dam thing , only to find out after two weeks they have decided to void it !!!

This is one of those occasions where asking the full question is more useful than crafting the question in the hope of a particular answer...

Don't know if this is what caught you out, but since it takes some time for the paperwork to filter through on changing the status of a car to 'salvaged' or whatever your local version is, when you know you are dealing with a salvage title the right question is 'Will I still have a warranty on this vehicle that has been written-off by the insurers' rather than 'does this vehicle have a warranty active'....