Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano Roof buffeting tip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings,

Even at the "Comfort" setting on the panoramic roof, I get some amount of that low-frequency buffeting/resonant noise that's pretty hard to put up with.

I found that if I lower either of my rear windows about an inch or two, it goes away pretty much completely. You do get more air movement inside the car, so if it's chilly out this might not be a great technique, but in the fantastic weather we've had in the SF Bay Area the last few days, I've been really enjoying driving with the roof open, even on the freeway.

Thought others might appreciate a tip.

MikeK: There's a long thread on this problem over on TMC. I forgot its exact name, but its named for a reference to the buffeting problem.
It appears that the cause of the problems has been identified. Its actually a bit of play in the hatchback lid. There are bolt like grommets that provide a spacer or help push/put pressure on the lid between the body and the lid. These adjustable bolts are usually screwed down too far and need to be backed out to apply upward pressure on the lid when its closed. Sometimes toe adjust this, the hatchback lid's lock has to be adjusted too. SC are getting smarter from TM and other SC's to gauge how to fix it. But you can give it a try youself.

Want a easy trick to tesst if this is the problem? Open the hatchback, and use something to brace it open yet prevent it from flying open. In other words, leave a gap open to allow both air to flow in and out, and prevent the lid from opening further or closing completely. (Its the pumping of the lid that's causing the buffeting).

See if this helps.
P.S. I take no credit for any of this. This comes from contributions of owners that are working with each other.