Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano roof chattering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
June 2015 build, happening for me too. I put a _lot_ of miles on the car and have already had it in for two annual services. They claim to always clean/lubricate the pano but the chattering always comes back. I had it back in for that issue a few weeks back and they couldn't reproduce. It wasn't happening for me that day either. But is has returned. I'm going to keep pestering so that if anything more serious happens after the warranty is up I can hopefully get it covered.

June 2015 build, happening for me too. I put a _lot_ of miles on the car and have already had it in for two annual services. They claim to always clean/lubricate the pano but the chattering always comes back. I had it back in for that issue a few weeks back and they couldn't reproduce. It wasn't happening for me that day either. But is has returned. I'm going to keep pestering so that if anything more serious happens after the warranty is up I can hopefully get it covered.

Ive noticed mine chatters when the car is hot from having been parked in the sun. Does this sound like your issue?

Is there a long term fix for this? Or do we just have to keep cleaning and lubing the tracks??

My March 2015 build pano roof chattered when I got it 2.5 weeks ago. Tesla Mobile Service cleaned/lubed it 1.5 weeks ago. After opening/closing the roof less than a half dozen times and two car washes, it's back.

I'm surprised there aren't updated shoes to fix the problem.

Another data point: I recently had my car in for unrelated service and out of habit I had asked them to lube the pano roof. Even though I'm well out of warranty they do it as a courtesy whenever I ask due to my history with the issue. Shortly before the visit I tried out the roof; no chattering. This was the middle of winter. So it does definitely suggest that heat/sunlight has something to do with the chattering.

What I expected to happen has happened.

a few months back, I started hearing a tremendous amount of noise from the a-pillar. Then the roof got stuck open. Fortunately I was eventually able to get it to close after repeated attempts and some manual pressure from behind.

im way out of warranty, but I have a clear record of problems with this roof since day 1 (see previous posts).

The service center provided me an estimate for around $1500 which replaces nearly every component (cables, motors, etc). Said the final cost would likely be less once they determine exactly which components failed.

I informed the Devon PA service center that I had no intention of paying for this repair as i have had issues with this roof all along and it is exactly think type of failure that I feared from having a roof that fits way too tight.

I have yet to hear back.

assuming i don’t have any luck with the service manager, does anyone know how to escalate this issue?