Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano roof chattering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, my MS with ~1300 miles on it has had its first issue. Apparently there's something up with sliding mechanism for the pano roof, which results in a "chattering" as it opens and closes. It won't do it for the entire length, however there are very specific spots where I see it happen (near the 75% open "comfort" position for one). The noise is best described as old windshield wipers on a dry windshield (only slower) and you can definitely see the entire mechanism vibrate ever so slightly as this "dry rubbing" noise occurs. If I had to guess it's probably a simple lubrication issue, however given that the car is brand new I'm going to get the service department handle this. I've already made my appointment.

In any case, I was wondering if this was a known issue or if I was just lucky?

Last edited:
Mine had the exact same issue, there is a fix. Tesla will fix it.

Kind of curious what your VIN numbers are? There seems to be a newer pano roof (RFP2) that is available on some of the later models. My OA claims that the new roofs have less problems (eg rattling, leaks) although that may have just been what he was told. He said the new panos were installed with VINs ~105,000.

Kind of curious what your VIN numbers are? There seems to be a newer pano roof (RFP2) that is available on some of the later models. My OA claims that the new roofs have less problems (eg rattling, leaks) although that may have just been what he was told. He said the new panos were installed with VINs ~105,000.

Not sure, I'd need to check the VIN, but my S was built in September/October 2015 if that helps.

I have had 4 Tesla's, i have no idea. I will look through my emails with Tesla and see if I can narrow it down. It was an old VIN..

I have the issue too. Our SC acknowledges the issue (car was in for winter tires today) but they didn't have the right stuff to fix. Luckily we will not need to open the sunroof for 5-6 months, so I'm sure they'll be able to address it before then.

Our May 2015 build was right before they switched to the new roof, and we've had squeaks at fully closed position which they fixed after a few attempts.

Your Sept/Oct built should have the new roof design. I guess they too have noise issues, just at different spot.

I just had that fixed on ours, it's a lubrication issue apparently. The service manager mentioned that it was good I had brought it in when I first noticed the problem because when people have let it go on for awhile the cables that move the roof can stretch making it a much bigger problem.

I just had that fixed on ours, it's a lubrication issue apparently. The service manager mentioned that it was good I had brought it in when I first noticed the problem because when people have let it go on for awhile the cables that move the roof can stretch making it a much bigger problem.

Exactly my thoughts. After identifying the issue (and admittedly running it back and fourth twice or so to make sure it's a repeatable issue), I most definitely left the roof shut.

Our May 2015 build was right before they switched to the new roof, and we've had squeaks at fully closed position which they fixed after a few attempts.

Your Sept/Oct built should have the new roof design. I guess they too have noise issues, just at different spot.

Just to be clear this only occurs (for me) when the roof opens or retracts. It's definitely not the panel rubbing issue of old, IMO.

Thanks RDoc. I have only heard that when it was pretty cold. Maybe 40 deg. I attributed to the cold weather. I've had cars that have said to not use the sunroof when cold. Though that was a long time ago. No problems when warm. I'll get it checked next time she is in. I rarely open it.

When you guys go to your SC, make sure they use KLUBERSYNTH grease to grease this. That is what is spec'd by the design engineers and SHOULD be at all service centers globally (this usually isnt the case), also feel free to buy some. Your pano roof SHOULD be greased every 6-12 months (its also part of the annual inspection, make sure its done).

The amount of grease that should be up there should be A LOT, very visible, and still creamy, if its yellowed and gritty, you need more.

The true way to grease the roof is to remove the moving glass and pull the rear shoes forward to get grease behind them.

Good luck, sorry that the pano still sucks. :(

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to mention, the chatter is a grease issue. Leaving a chattering sunroof can lead to other issues, its best to grease it the first time you see it

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
When you guys go to your SC, make sure they use KLUBERSYNTH grease to grease this. That is what is spec'd by the design engineers and SHOULD be at all service centers globally (this usually isnt the case), also feel free to buy some. Your pano roof SHOULD be greased every 6-12 months (its also part of the annual inspection, make sure its done).

The amount of grease that should be up there should be A LOT, very visible, and still creamy, if its yellowed and gritty, you need more.

The true way to grease the roof is to remove the moving glass and pull the rear shoes forward to get grease behind them.

Good luck, sorry that the pano still sucks. :(

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to mention, the chatter is a grease issue. Leaving a chattering sunroof can lead to other issues, its best to grease it the first time you see it
We need a DIY section in this forum

Reactions: dblankenbaker
Just FYI, my June 2015 (VIN 93xxx) has the new Pano roof. The easiest way to tell the difference is the little doors that open to attach the roof rack. On the original roof, those doors go all the way to the metal painted edge of the roof. On the new roof, they are completely surrounded by the black plastic panel.