Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano roof control direction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, this is an esoteric UI issue. But having worked at a company where UI awareness is practically in the water (or coffee), it's caught my attention.

I have the pano roof control assigned to the right roller on the steering wheel. Pushing the roller cracks it open to the vent position or closes it entirely, depending on the state.

Rolling UP causes the dash indicator to go up towards 100% and the roof open wider, and rolling down causes it to lower the "percentage open" and the roof to close. Consistent so far as up makes the number on the dash bigger, down makes the number smaller.

But the operation of the glass itself is the opposite. Rolling Up, causes the glass to move aft, in the opposite direction of the roller movement. And rolling Down, causes the roof to move forward, again, the opposite direction of the roller movement. This always confuses me because I think the roof should move consistent with the roller.

Two suggestions:

1) Reverse the roller/roof interaction so that rolling Up moves the roof towards the front of the car and rolling Down moves the roof towards the back of the car.

2) The dashboard display and CID have their position indicators reversed from each other. Replace the dashboard diagram with a graphic that matches the CID graphic wherein the bar chart matches the overhead view of the roof position and the top position is fully closed, and the bottom position is fully open.

This would bring consistency, peace and harmony to the pano roof controls. ;)

Agree wholeheartedly. As a pilot, that interface irks me, but even more than that, as a human factors guy, it brings tears to my eyes due to the inconsistency in the design. Reversing the direction of the scroll wheel function would appeal to my personal sense of the "normal" (whatever that means) direction that it should work, and at the same time makes it consistent across the control and the indication on the display.

I'm willing to bet that there are people who think rolling up should mean open and think the current bar chart makes the most sense. There's a similar issue in the overhead panels of airplanes, should the switches be moved forward for "on", or should they be moved aft for "on"? Because of the airplanes I'm used to flying, forward "on" makes the most sense to me. But then there are a whole category of people who think the other way because of the types of stuff they fly. Then there are manufacturers who design one airplane as forward "off" then the next plane is forward "on" because it was just somebody different making the decision, and that leads to all sorts of errors. Bottom line is, as long as they're consistent (i.e. control matches the display(s), and Tesla picks one way and sticks to it for all models) that's the most important thing. (especially if it's roll up for close because that's the way my brain works!)

Reactions: Ben W
I embraced the Macintosh "natural scrolling" and my Tesla thumbwheels feel backwards. It messes me up most when I long-press them to select what is shown on each side of the display. Every time I scroll in the wrong way first. I wish they'd add a scrolling direction preference!

FWIW I totally agree. 18 months, and I am still confused, it is totally backward what it should be.

Now it seems that this should not be a setting, way too granular. Leave is as such, change it, but don't allow for chanign the setting in the UI, otherwise it is highway to settingspalooza.