Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

pano roof could not fully close/seal at high speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my pano roof open when I was cruising at higher speeds and I tried to close it when I was going between 85-90mph. It would not seal shut. This is different that the "creaking" noise or the "whistle" noise mentioned in other threads. I don't have the "creaking", and the "whistling" is just an aerodynamic thing when its right about to close and that is completely normal.

The noise I am taking about was coming from the rear of the pano roof (not the front where the whistling occurs when there's a small gap just before closing and opening). It would just about close all the way, but it seems like it just wouldn't seal on the back of it completely and just a little wind effect was occurring from the back of it, sort of sounds like when you have a side window creaked open 1/2" or so. No whistling, just wind. I'd say on a scale of 1-10, where 1 is "fully shut and no noise" and 10 is what window normally sounds like when the sunroof is open, the noise level was about a 3. It was obvious that it just wouldn't seal shut completely. I tried opening and closing it several times at that speed, even slowed to about 80 and still no success (side note, advice to others: you probably shouldn't be playing around with the console at these speeds. eyes on the road!) I slowed up to about 70mph, then fully opened the pano roof to 100%, then closed it, and it sealed shut completely. Wind stopped. Had me worried for a bit that possibly the strength of the wind bent something up when trying to close at high speed. Glad it sealed at a lower speed.

Once shut, I did not try this again to see if I could duplicate it. Curious if anyone else experienced this? (hard to duplicate unless your on a highway stretch in a place where "the man" isn't watching so you can get some speed, lol).

- - - Updated - - -

I should add to this that the other thought I had when this occurred was "crap, if I can't get this to seal, then what will happen if it rains and I'm not parked in my garage? Will it leak through and soak the interior?" I would guess yes...but again lucky it sealed eventually.

- - - Updated - - -

Just a thought - I don't think I "vented it" , but I could be mistaken lol. Eyes on road!!

I have had this happen as well - had to significantly reduce speed to get it to close.I want to try opening a window to see if that helps cabin pressure-wise to let the sunroof completely seal. I'll try that at some point this week.

I have the same issue with my pano roof. BUT, MORE TROUBLING, is the wind noise when the roof is completely closed at 70+ mph. It gets really noisy, above 70, even when properly closed and seated. I've had sunroofs in multiple Lexus and BMW's and all have been far quieter than this pano. Others experiencing this? Wonder if Tesla can improve the seals to solve this? I hope the "yet to be released" sunscreen kit for front and back panos will attenuate not only the light coming in, but also the wind noise.

I have the same issue with my pano roof. BUT, MORE TROUBLING, is the wind noise when the roof is completely closed at 70+ mph. It gets really noisy, above 70, even when properly closed and seated. I've had sunroofs in multiple Lexus and BMW's and all have been far quieter than this pano. Others experiencing this? Wonder if Tesla can improve the seals to solve this? I hope the "yet to be released" sunscreen kit for front and back panos will attenuate not only the light coming in, but also the wind noise.
Let me clarify..........i close my roof while parked, but at high speed the wind noise coming into the cabin from the front of the pano is ridiculous. Ranger visit on Tues so I am keeping my fingers crossed.