Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano Roof cracked opened by itself

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I experienced something weird on my first long road trip.
I was showing off the car's abilities to a friend so I decided to open it up a little. While going down hill on the 101, near Calabasas, the Pano Roof started to creep open. It opened about 1/2 inch. I found it unsettling. And as i slowed down a bit, the roof self closed slowly as I approached the speed limit.

Has anybody else experienced this? Should I report it to Tesla?
Thanks!

I called Tesla in Fremont. They referred me to Tesla Service Center in San Diego. They said it might be a 'software issue'. Huh?
I then called Tesla in San Diego. They said it's probably not a 'software issue' but they wanted me to replicate it again on my own. If it does happen again they said to call them and bring it back in. And after i bring it in they want me take a service tech to see if I can replicate this again. They said they can't have a tech drive 100+ so they want me to do it again.

Do you think this is acceptable customer service? Is it safe? Hmmm. Thanks in advance.

Personally, I think that if Tesla is going to have a legitimate chance of diagnosing it then they need to see it reproduced. So with that in mind I'd say that yes that would be acceptable customer service. Is it safe? No, driving at those speeds is never safe outside of a controlled environment but I doubt you have a private track to demo on so...

Jeff

I called Tesla in Fremont. They referred me to Tesla Service Center in San Diego. They said it might be a 'software issue'. Huh?
I then called Tesla in San Diego. They said it's probably not a 'software issue' but they wanted me to replicate it again on my own. If it does happen again they said to call them and bring it back in. And after i bring it in they want me take a service tech to see if I can replicate this again. They said they can't have a tech drive 100+ so they want me to do it again.

Do you think this is acceptable customer service? Is it safe? Hmmm. Thanks in advance.

Wow. There isn't anywere you could drive 100 mph legally is there? They should have invited you to the Fremont facility where they have their closed circuit...

I've had the car over 100mph several times (on a private road, before anyone asks) and never had the roof open itself. I did once have the pano roof come open unexpectedly when taking a particularly twisty road until I realized that I'd accidentally pushed the right scroll wheel.

I've had the car over 100mph several times (on a private road, before anyone asks) and never had the roof open itself. I did once have the pano roof come open unexpectedly when taking a particularly twisty road until I realized that I'd accidentally pushed the right scroll wheel.
At least a dozen times, no pano roof issues.

Mine doesn't exactly open, but the wind noise goes up dramatically above 80 mph. The front edge of the roof is lifting/moving back slightly. I cycled the roof at a low mph speed and the problem has not reoccurred. The front edge definitely has a tendency to move (up or back) at speed.

Pano Roof vented on its own this morning

This morning I walked up to my car (approaching from the left-rear). The handles presented as I reached the driver's door. Then I opened the left-rear door to drop my bag on the seat. About one second after I opened the door, my pano roof popped open to the "vent" position, very matter-of-factly.

I got in the car, closed the roof, and everything seems to be working just fine.

Has anyone else encountered this?

(Running v4.5 with the latest .44 update)

Wife/Partner messing with you via the phone app?

Nope... I just double-checked with him. :)

I did find later this morning when I went to use the iPhone app that I had to log back in. No idea if there's a connection there, but it does seem like an odd coincidence. (In two months or so, I don't think the App has ever logged me out before...)

I reported it to ownership.

How does a roof open "matter-of-factly?"

Well, it just, umm, popped open. Perhaps I could say it was more "definite" or "snappy" than "matter of fact." ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe the new version of pocket dialing is accidentally activating something on your car via the app? :)

Thought about that, but my phone was definitely locked... I always hit the lock button before putting it in my pocket; it's just habit...

- - - Updated - - -

wow how did you know he was gay? winning

I've referred to my husband before in the forums... usually in the context of "I had to convince him to let me drive the Tesla today." :)