Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano Roof Cracked!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I searched the forums and couldn't find anyone else with this issue.

I got what looks like the smallest rock chip in the history of rock chips in the front edge of my pano rood and within an hour it cracked across 3/4 of the pano.

I spoke w/ Tesla and they said most likely this would not be covered by warranty.

My question is - if this piece is exposed like it is, and not able to withstand a tiny chip, what can be done to protect the pano in the future? I understand the windshield isn't covered for rocks but it wouldn't have even been chipped by this. Because the front edge of the pano is exposed (maybe the rubber gasket isn't tall enough?) it is ripe for destruction.

Has anyone else successfully had this fixed under warranty? I have a service appointment in 2 weeks so we will see what they say. What does this cost to fix if it turns out to be non-warranty?

I attached a picture. It is very hard to photograph because I have to put the phone/camera very close to even see the point of impact.

Thanks

Attachments

• 2016-04-04 19.29.45.jpg
    2016-04-04 19.29.45.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 984
Wow. Looks like you got super unlucky. Your gasket is slightly raised, and looks pretty similar to mine. That rock hit it JUST RIGHT.

Every other sunroof I've ever had on a vehicle had the rubber gasket on the leading edge of the glass, not on the roof. I understand why Tesla did it this way, but it does make it more prone to this damage. Still, it's probably a very rare situation.

Did they give you any indication how much that sunroof glass costs? Has to be expensive. :(

Unfortunately, probably not covered by warranty, but may be covered by the comprehensive portion of your auto insurance. However, while a lot of times windshield repairs may have a reduced or no deductible (safety issue to have the windshield glass fixed), the roof is not likely to fall under that provision.

I'm 100% certain I read that another owner had a similar issue, read it here on TMC.

If I remember correctly it was also an impact and wasn't replaced under warranty. I tried to find the thread but failed to, at least so far. I'll report back if I can find it.

Yeah, road hazards, like collisions with an aluminum ladder (don't ask) are not covered by the car manufacturer.
However, they are probably covered under your car insurance.

Time to give the gecko, or Flo, or J.K.Simmons, or whoever, a call.

-- Ardie

Did they give you any indication how much that sunroof glass costs? Has to be expensive. :(

I heard a rumor it was $1000. I will know in a couple weeks I guess!

Ouch. I have a replacement from my parts car if you want it. 2/3 of retail. It's from an 03/2015 85D. Probably Scotchguard Pro 2 would have prevented this:

Not sure anything would have stopped this - the chip is on the leading edge. If Tesla had put a gasket that was a bit taller and protected the leading edge it would have possibly protected it.

I'll let you know about the replacement. My guess is it is something the SC has to replace for warranty reasons down the road.

My comprehensive insurance covered a crack in a sunroof caused by a stone on one of my prior cars and treated it as if it was a windshield replacement (no deductible), it's worth looking into with your insurance company.

insurance, my pano roof on the range rover is cracked right now about $2k to replace. Its the fixed type, so the piece of glass is huge. Putting a 3M clear bra type material on there would help

Maybe someone can answer this question. When I got my current policy I had opted for a $500 deductible w/ $0 glass. The agent recommended a $250 deductible but without the $0/glass. The reason for this was that I was told that it was actually $20/mo cheaper and if I did need glass replacement the $250 deductible would be about the same cost as 1 year of the savings so it would "net out". Does this sound right? Is there any other benefit to the $0 glass coverage other than not coming out of pocket?

How much do you want to bet that the Model 3 "single piece of glass" on the roof never makes it to actual production? Imagine how much that would cost to replace. Not only that, but imagine what it will look like after being hit by rocks a few times...

How much do you want to bet that the Model 3 "single piece of glass" on the roof never makes it to actual production? Imagine how much that would cost to replace. Not only that, but imagine what it will look like after being hit by rocks a few times...

Depends on how much Tesla realizes and gets behind the idea that parts availability and 3rd-party repair is going to be necessary to support a fleet of model 3's.

If they realize this and make parts available, then with volume and ability of regular auto body shops to replace it, the cost will come way down. If Tesla insists on staying with approved body shops and limited parts availability, then cost will be very high.

I searched the forums and couldn't find anyone else with this issue.

I got what looks like the smallest rock chip in the history of rock chips in the front edge of my pano rood and within an hour it cracked across 3/4 of the pano.

That is wretched and I was going to write that the chances of a pebble smacking right there were so small that you'd likely never see a repeat...but a prior poster says it has happened before - wow.

A probe, however: if you didn't hear it, as you write in #14, what is it that causes you to think that it took only an hour to propagate?

The reason I ask is because I was considering what happens to a sheet of glass when cracked. I'm not going to my shop to whack a few windows to test this, but: I'm thinking that because of the homogeneous non-crystalline properties of glass, a crack that propagates from, let's say, the center of a sheet, may and possibly almost always will emerge from the edge as a spalling, conchoidal fracture, which can appear to be the "nick" that mimics a rock chip.

Happened to me about a year ago. Chip was so small I didn't notice it until the top was cracked 20" across. My crack was in the moving sunroof portion of the roof. Fortunately my glass coverage on my insurance fully covered the replacement.

And I never heard anything hit the roof.

That is wretched and I was going to write that the chances of a pebble smacking right there were so small that you'd likely never see a repeat...but a prior poster says it has happened before - wow.

A probe, however: if you didn't hear it, as you write in #14, what is it that causes you to think that it took only an hour to propagate?

The reason I ask is because I was considering what happens to a sheet of glass when cracked. I'm not going to my shop to whack a few windows to test this, but: I'm thinking that because of the homogeneous non-crystalline properties of glass, a crack that propagates from, let's say, the center of a sheet, may and possibly almost always will emerge from the edge as a spalling, conchoidal fracture, which can appear to be the "nick" that mimics a rock chip.
Glass is an interesting material. Amorphous solid.
A small chip can easily propagate. I had a small chip that sat dormant until I washed the car on a hot day when it spread across the entire windshield.
If you've ever cut glass,all it takes is a light scratch and tap to break it along the line.