Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano Roof Cracked!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How much do you want to bet that the Model 3 "single piece of glass" on the roof never makes it to actual production? Imagine how much that would cost to replace. Not only that, but imagine what it will look like after being hit by rocks a few times...

I'll take that bet. How many pano roofs never get opened? My bet is it will be an option.

Happened to me about a year ago. Chip was so small I didn't notice it until the top was cracked 20" across. My crack was in the moving sunroof portion of the roof. Fortunately my glass coverage on my insurance fully covered the replacement.

And I never heard anything hit the roof.

Same exact experience. We will see next week what Tesla and my insurance company say. Worst case I'm out $250 I think.

My fusion took a pebble, hit the windshield wiper arm at JUST right to angle it down into the glass. I didn't see it or remember the hit. When I went out at lunch to move my car off the charger, crack was past 16 long and not covered by the windshield chip repair the car has (6")...

Maybe someone can answer this question. When I got my current policy I had opted for a $500 deductible w/ $0 glass. The agent recommended a $250 deductible but without the $0/glass. The reason for this was that I was told that it was actually $20/mo cheaper and if I did need glass replacement the $250 deductible would be about the same cost as 1 year of the savings so it would "net out". Does this sound right? Is there any other benefit to the $0 glass coverage other than not coming out of pocket?
I have had my windshield sandblasted by a freak AZ sandstorm. I've had my windshield catch a stone from a truck that changed lanes infant of me. The cost of a windshield ---not sure but about $300. That $20/mo glass coverage paid out for me. [not sure n my case if it was even $20/mo] but in AZ, (and in Colo) rocks happen so much that full glass has been a default for me. I also carry $1,000 deduct, so its not like I'm unwilling to take my share of travel risk.

My fusion took a pebble, hit the windshield wiper arm at JUST right to angle it down into the glass. I didn't see it or remember the hit. When I went out at lunch to move my car off the charger, crack was past 16 long and not covered by the windshield chip repair the car has (6")...
If you put a drop of super-glue into the fresh stone chip, that spidering will often not occur. But, super glue makes it tough for a chip repair fellow to do his job. Choose based on cost/time.

How much do you want to bet that the Model 3 "single piece of glass" on the roof never makes it to actual production? Imagine how much that would cost to replace. Not only that, but imagine what it will look like after being hit by rocks a few times...

The Model 3 "all-glass" roof is actually 3 pieces (windshield, upper panel above front seats, and rear piece above rear seats down to trunk). So in that sense, similar to the 3 pieces in the S but the rear piece in the Model 3 is larger and the top piece is smaller.

Crack in the opening panel of roof.. no external damage, just within the layers of glass... gets worse each day. No apparent cause, just appeared from nowhere. Tesla quote £1,175.40 to replace. I've asked them if covered by warrenty, awaiting reply. It may be covered by insurance in UK.