Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano Roof Daylight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The one thing I don't see mentioned much is the noise from the pano roof. I bought it and if I were doing it again I would not get the room. There is a tremendous amount of road noise that comes in through the roof and its even louder on the freeway while driving under overpasses. its like the noise that is present with a regular sunroof open (road noise, not wind noise) at about 50%. It would be nice to see some dB comparisons.... but I would definately not go that direction knowing what I know now. The car is so nice when its quiet, but once going its as loud inside as a regular car. This is coming from p85+ so it has the skinny tires.

Pano Roof also adds the "long strip of glass" look which improves the look of the car/makes it stand out especially if its white and you get the windows tinted.

It is definitely a must for me, or if not the black roof on a light colored car to give that look.

Also blocks 100% UV rays and 81% Heat

That's why I went with the black roof on my MC Red. I really miss not having rack points, though. Can't carry a kayak on a hitch (unless I trailer it) and I haven't sprung for the vacuum cup solution yet so I'm relegated to the mini-van for the drive to the Sound.

That's why I went with the black roof on my MC Red. I really miss not having rack points, though. Can't carry a kayak on a hitch (unless I trailer it) and I haven't sprung for the vacuum cup solution yet so I'm relegated to the mini-van for the drive to the Sound.

Does the black roof look just as good as the dark pano (in terms of the nice contrast with the body color)? I hope so because I also ordered a MC Red with the black roof. I only saw the red with the pano roof and loved the contrast between the roof and the body color. One of the reasons I went with the black roof instead was what Doggshine mentions above: I like quiet. I also test drove a MS with a pano on a bright shiny day and I could feel a bit of heat coming through the glass. Not much, but it was noticeable and on a hot day, I prefer none at all instead of not much. Also, some folks have said that the solid roof makes the sound system sound better, but again that may be just because there's less road noise...

I'm 6'4, and I prefer the driver position without sunroof. Tesla have a large sunroof that make it OK, but I can't get my head close to the side window because my head hit the border where the mecanism for the sunroof is. This problem is not present without the sunroof. That said, I've went with the pano roof (because I bought a loaner and they all have pano roof), and I'll see if it bug me in the long term.

Does the black roof look just as good as the dark pano (in terms of the nice contrast with the body color)? I hope so because I also ordered a MC Red with the black roof. I only saw the red with the pano roof and loved the contrast between the roof and the body color. One of the reasons I went with the black roof instead was what Doggshine mentions above: I like quiet. I also test drove a MS with a pano on a bright shiny day and I could feel a bit of heat coming through the glass. Not much, but it was noticeable and on a hot day, I prefer none at all instead of not much. Also, some folks have said that the solid roof makes the sound system sound better, but again that may be just because there's less road noise...

I'm biased but think it looks great. The roofline has that same flow as the pano roof from front of windshield to rear of hatch glass. It's not precisely the same as the pano is a little smokier where the solid roof is truly black.

Roof Shot.jpg