TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Pano roof in winter?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by steve29, Apr 25, 2015.

1. steve29

steve29 Member

I plan on ordering a 70D next week and am wondering about the roof. To all of you in winter climates, how is the glass roof when it gets really cold? I read some people online saying that the roof let a lot of cold into the car in winter, but most people seem to think it's OK. Your thoughts/advice?

2. invisik

invisik Member

I think it is ok, no cold draft from it.... The door little triangle windows on the other hand..... Ugh.

-m

3. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Bjorn, our Norwegian member who makes lots (and lots!) of videos of his Tesla adventures (there's a thread that's generally near the top of the Videos forum that contains them all) has one video where he talks about the Pano roof in the cold. He eventually put together some foam insulation for it that he was very happy with.
    Walter

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Bjorn's (excellent) videos aside, I have found no issues at all with cold getting in. I've had the car now for 2 brutally cold winters, driving in temps way below 0 F.

My only issue is that when it's cold, I get a bit of a "tea kettle" whistle from the pano roof seals. It goes away when the weather warms up, so I'm assuming some rubber seal is shrinking a bit in the cold. No issues with water getting in, though.

5. steve29

steve29 Member

Thanks......that video is what got me thinking. I talked to a few more people who all think it's not a big deal, so I'll go with the pano roof.

6. vdiv

vdiv Chief Grump

7. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

+1 for door triangle draft. There is a fix for it though, contact the SC.

Panoramic roof is just fine in winter. 10/10, WBA

8. Jack_L

Jack_L Member

Made it through our worst winter ever in Boston. No issues with pano roof. Love it!