TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Pano Roof is cold!

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by AnOutsider, Dec 9, 2012.

1. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

So, while most were campaigning for the shade to keep the sun down, I think another reason might be to keep the car warmer.

My wife sits in the back with our baby, and whenever I put the heat on, for some reason a draft begins to come from the roof. It's worse for her as her head is basically right under it, but if I put my hand up to the roof, I can feel the moving cold air there too. I wonder if it's because of some weird mini-weather condition up there? Like the warm air is hitting the cold air near seeping through the glass and then you have mini wind conditions? Clearly I have zero grasp on meteorological phenomena, but that's all I could think of as to why there would be moving cold air there when the heat is on, but not when it's off?

I'm guessing a shade up there would solve this, but perhaps there's another solution too, like some insulating clear plastic?

2. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Could the heater fan be blowing up onto the glass roof which rapidly cools it as it moves back to your wife? Maybe redirect the vents if that's possible?

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Today we figured out, it was more the front defrosters. I was completely turning off HVAC to test the difference, but didn't realize the front defrosters were on. It's still cold up there, but with the defrosters on, it's worse because it blows air straight up there and to the back seat.

4. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

General question: wouldn't it by design be cooler since an all glass panoramic roof offers less insulation? I've never owned one, but even with my Honda's sunroof it feels cooler when it's <40 degrees outside.

Sent via Tapatalk.

5. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Yep... Thus the desire for the shade :)

6. contaygious

contaygious Member

No shade coming from what I'm told...

7. shady

shady Member

Hmm, On Saturday morning, the guy in the Palo Alto showroom said there is a shade coming.

8. Jeeps17

Jeeps17 Cath Jockey in a P85

+1 to that!

I can vouch for the radiant cooling effect of glass roofs in cars during winter.

A shade (at least on my G37 and Subaru Legacy) greatly attenuates this.

9. contaygious

contaygious Member

Weird I asked my delivery person at Fremont and he said that was not needed anymore :confused: he did say new visors are coming.

10. sublimaze1

sublimaze1 8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins

yay on the visors ...

.. as for the Pano Roof, it is cold today (31) and the glass is very cold as well. But I am sure some of my fellow Texans will agree that a cold car beats a hot car any day. You can heat the seats and with a coat, it's really not that bad. IMHO, that is.

11. Laumb

Laumb smrtass.

I had a thick layer of ice on the inside of our iQ this morning. Took 14 minutes of waiting to get rid of it (not scraping the inside of the car).

Don't come here and tell me a cold car beats a hot car any day. Too bad I forgot to check the temperature of the pano glass on the test drive yesterday...

12. sublimaze1

sublimaze1 8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins

L.O.L. !!!!

13. GamboTurbo

GamboTurbo New Member

Didn't you sit in the back seat for a test drive in freezy Oslo yesterday, Laumb? Could you feel any of this cool breeze.. ?

/Turbo

14. Laumb

Laumb smrtass.

#14 Laumb, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
    Sat in the backseat at the 10:20 test drive, but drove myself at 12:40. Sat in the backseat again this morning making a video.. Didn't even think the to notice any cold drafts.. Guess I'm still stoked about the overall of the car itself.

Considering that - I didn't particulary notice the draft, when not looking for it - makes me feel confident our beloved AO is looking for it, really hard. :)

Guess I just have to arrange for myself to meet another member testdriving and join in for a 3rd passenger ride... Too bad I wont be getting any more test drives myself yet - as I would love to test drive one every day. The steering wheel is... so.. good... to... touch...

I wish the steering wheel was mounted on me, I would touch it all the time.

15. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

The Scion iQ?

Hard to imagine that car could insulate anything! :)

16. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Tell that to my wife sitting in the back with an exposed baby. If you go again, tell them to turn on the front defroster.

You're given the opportunity to attach anything to your body and fondle it all day and THAT'S your wish? ;)

17. Laumb

Laumb smrtass.

Toyota iQ, but they are the same. Just different branding.

Will do! Was going to go again today - but our Saabs battery was out, so its a no go.

Guessing the other things I would wanna attach wouldn't be legal in most countries....

18. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I sense a made-for-TV comedy.