Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano roof or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally ordered my MS without the pano roof because having driven Prius' for the last 8 years I haven't had a sunroof and haven't missed it. I also thought the insulation would be better both from a noise and heat perspective, plus since I intend to keep the car a long time it might be more reliable. I'm not worried about the rear headroom because I don't drive from the rear and anybody I give a lift to will have to take their chances :)

On the noise front, one of Bjorn's videos noted the increased roar from the pano roof in tunnels and the fact that he doesn't use it much due to suffering with hay fever (as I do). Having said all that I have to admit it's an excellent roof and certainly brightens the interior up. The ability to draw air through the car without using the fans would be nice, but probably uses more power due to the loss of aerodynamic efficiency.

I would say that it's a well priced option so it comes down to whether you want it or not! If you regularly pick up 6ft plus in-laws in the rear then marital harmony might also factor in the equation :)

I finally ordered my MS without the pano roof because having driven Prius' for the last 8 years I haven't had a sunroof and haven't missed it. I also thought the insulation would be better both from a noise and heat perspective, plus since I intend to keep the car a long time it might be more reliable. I'm not worried about the rear headroom because I don't drive from the rear and anybody I give a lift to will have to take their chances :)

If I lived in the U.K. I probably wouldn't order it either. The pano roof has 2.5 advantages: 1. It helps the car keep cooler when parked outside. 2. It allows taller folks to use the back seat. .5. It has attachments for a roof rack.

I have it, and I wouldn't be without it because the heat factor where I live makes it a real lifesaver. The extra headroom is a nice-to-have when you have passengers (I'm not tall enough for it to be a concern). I've never needed a roof rack.

We have it, and while I rarely used the sunroof on previous cars, I use the Tesla one all the time on local roads, on highways it's too noisy. On local roads though, with the pano open and all the windows down, the air is great and, because of the car's low noise level, we can hear birds, etc. outside the car. I'm very glad to have it.

+100. The sunroof in my MBZ SUV is not tinted, to my knowledge, and so I almost always have the cover pulled to keep out the bright sunshine. In the Tesla, it is tinted so well that I have not even contemplated buying the cover. I get no heat from it, but I did put PhotoSync on to reject heat when i tinted the windows just in case it gets too hot in summer.

Agreed here. The pano roof adds a great feel to the interior of the car and would highly recommend it. I'm 6'2" and really appreciate the extra headroom. My head would most definitely hit the roof in the back seat without it (so nice if you ever have taller passengers).

The stock pano roof is leaps and bounds beyond any other glass sun roof I've experienced in terms of heat blocking. It's great as it is. However, like JenniferQ, I doubled up by adding photosync to my pano and virtually zero heat comes through. Highly recommend (with or without additional tinting).

For me it started with needing Sirius XM for the talk content... though I wanted to keep the options down, I just needed to get it and the UHF stereo for the SXM... but I ended up streaming SXM from cellular, go figure.

But I'm REALLY happy I went for both options. The UHF is very good, though probably overpriced, and the pano roof is delightful and quite a steal -- as far as options go, it's not all that expensive. Based on how it's priced, I imagined when ordering that TMC actually wants everyone to get it...

A few months on, and into the colder weather here in Toronto and so far I am still VERY happy to have it. I open it much more than I imagined I would, and I even got a great all-around tan this summer instead of the "trucker tan". I even got auburn highlights in my hair ! I should get out more :tongue:

You can't stream anything from the web browser -- there's no sound (or video for that matter). Only Slacker and Tunein for sound streaming by way of the music apps - not the browser. It would be great if they added a Sirius/XM app. If you don't have UHFS which requires pano for XM, then you can only stream it through your phone/bluetooth. I really like the pano roof but I am tall and need the extra headroom and I like the air in the summer without opening windows.

As an audiophile I find SiriusXM's compressed 24 kb/s streaming atrocious, its screechy über-compressed sound an auditory insult unfit for premium autos.
Until last year a classical and a pop station still had "high definition" sound, a slightly higher bitrate and less compression, but not that is over too, they chose quantity over quality.

So unless you need talk radio steer away from it.

Or maybe I am just spoiled by SACD/DVD-A separates soundproof weekly auditioning, too much knowledge can be harmful:)