Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano roof rubber seal getting chewed up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CHG-ON

Still in love after all these miles
I was dusting my girl off the other day and noticed that the rubber seal on the pano track above the right rear passenger seat was torn up. Not much, but some chunks were torn out. I expect by the rail mechanism that raises the roof and pulls it rearward. Has anybody else had this problem? I must have happened in the last couple of days because I am always cleaning the car, hadn't seen it until yesterday, and I had used the the pano a couple of times this week.

I haven't had that happen, but did notice the other day that the rubber seal along the front of the pano roof above the windshield has suddenly got sucked in above the passenger side of the span of the seal and an uneven gap in the seal remains for potential moisture to settle. It looks as if it still seals appropriately, but I can't get it's form to go back to normal and will only be a problem in the future.

Another small issue to add to the list

I was dusting my girl off the other day and noticed that the rubber seal on the pano track above the right rear passenger seat was torn up. Not much, but some chunks were torn out. I expect by the rail mechanism that raises the roof and pulls it rearward. Has anybody else had this problem? I must have happened in the last couple of days because I am always cleaning the car, hadn't seen it until yesterday, and I had used the the pano a couple of times this week.
Pictures?

Here ya go. Not terrible. But it looks like alignment is off. Though when watching it open, I don't see anything catching at all. Moves very smoothly.
Chew.jpg
Misalign.jpg

Last edited:
Ours actually had a gash like that when we picked it up new. I wasn't overly happy with having something already broken on a brand new car, but Tesla was very good about replacing it. 11 months later, its happened again. It doesn't seem to leak or anything so I'm assuming its mostly just there to keep dust and dirt out. We'll have it replaced the next time the car goes in.

Here ya go. Not terrible. But it looks like alignment is off. Though when watching it open, I don't anything catching at all. Moves very smoothly.
Thanks for the pictures. Mine looks fine (but only 3 months old).
Functionally it's probably fine but sure looks bad.
I wonder if applying some silicone spray lubricant would help to prevent problems?

One of the first things i did was to lubricate it because of it's exposure to UV. It seems odd that it got ripped like the other poster. The mechanism doesn't have anything that looks like it could snag it. Possibly something falls in there, like a small twig or something and that is the cause. I can't see anything. I do think it is a little on the flimsy side.

Thanks for the pictures. Mine looks fine (but only 3 months old).
Functionally it's probably fine but sure looks bad.
I wonder if applying some silicone spray lubricant would help to prevent problems?

A similar thing has just happened to mine, just a few days AFTER my one-year service appointment. There are two places close together on the left side that look chewed out. It probably won't cause a leak, but the rubber seal itself is a hollow tube that is now open to the elements. I wonder if that is a problem, so I guess I'll go back and ask the SC to replace it.

The last time I took my car in the loaner they gave me had the same thing. I asked the ladies if there was anything I could do to prevent that from happening. They said "If it does just bring it in here and we will take care of it". I'm a little worried, I would like to know the cause and prevention.

since tesla has moved to a different style of pano on the new cars, I'm going to guess this is a design flaw. It will probably be something that will eventually wear out continually (far faster than it should) on older cars with the original design.. just the the b-pillar wear

I just noticed my roof rubber is badly chewed up in several places both sides. It could not have been from the sunroof opening and the rubber is in good condition; not brittle. I am pretty sure what caused it. There was bird crap on the roof where the damage was worst. I can be pretty sure a bird chewed it up. I am out of warranty so I wonder how many thousands it will cost to replace. I will call my insurance as it should be covered under comprehensive.