TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Pano Roof Sticks

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Skotty, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

Well, I hate to say it, but I've experienced my first problem after about a week of ownership. Not a new car; I bought a CPO and it's a 2014 model. The pano roof gets stuck while trying to open. It starts to open, but then gets stuck at the vent position. The only way to make it open further is if you push up on the back of the glass. Anyone else had this issue?

I'm going to take a closer look to see if it's something I can fix myself or not. If not, looks like I'll be testing out the service center a lot sooner than I had hoped.

2. sorka

sorka Active Member

This started happening to mine about 6 months after I got it. I lubricated the seals with vinylex and it hasn't happened since.

3. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

If it's a CPO, and therefore under warranty, you should NOT touch the pano roof yourself. They are very finicky, and you don't want to give them any reason to void your warranty on it because you messed with it. Your best bet is to make an appointment and wait.

This might be OK, though, if you're in a hurry. I definitely wouldn't touch the mechanicals or mess with the track in any way, though.

4. bhzmark

bhzmark Active Member

It's OK to just press it up to get it past the sticking point but let SC fixit. Don't try to fix yrself

5. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

It does seem like the glass is just sticking to the seal. I might try a rubber treatment product like Vinylex before taking it to the service center. That's a pretty non-invasive thing to try that will likely fix the problem. If that doesn't work, then I'll take it to the service center.

6. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Your service center has a fix for this. Contact them Monday, its a quick fix.

7. kwjayhawk

kwjayhawk Member

Following to hear how it turns out. I plan on going CPO but hoping to find body roof and non air suspension because I am concerned my expected length of ownership will be past any non cpo warranty.

8. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

Hm...might just contact service on Monday. Finally got around to trying out the 12v power, and that doesn't work either. I should probably check the fuse first though...guess I'll go do that.

9. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

+1 on not doing anything more than lubricating the rubber. I lube mine about every six months and that keeps it sliding smoothly. I do find that it will shudder when the temp is below about 45f, so I have stopped opening it when at that temp.

10. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

I picked up some Turtle Wax Trim Restorer and used it on all of the rubber trim around the pano roof. I'm not sure if it will be a lasting fix or not, but so far the pano roof is working again.

As for the 12v power outlet, I checked the fuse (fuse 35 in fuse box #2) and it was blown. Replaced the blown fuse and now it seems to be working fine so far.

I took pictures of the fuse change out and was thinking of writing up a little detail with pictures, but now I'm feeling lazy. So just let me know if you want me to detail changing fuses and that might motivate me enough to actually post the pictures and write up some details. :)

11. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

Wife reported pano roof is starting to stick again. I might try a second treatment of the trim restorer before taking it in for service. It was just in for service earlier today but they didn't look at the pano roof.