Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

pano roof - vent position changed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It never provided any ventilation before in the "vent" position--at least none that I could ever feel. 15% was ideal for parking, but they got rid of that because some folks couldn't figure out that you weren't supposed to drive when it was at 15% (caused a whistle) and whined to Tesla, so now 20% is the minimum useful opening. Unfortunately, that's too much unless you have the heat shields, then it's okay.

I find the new vent position to be almost perfect. I always felt the previous vent position left too large of an opening along the front of the pano roof, into which someone could throw things into my car, or god forbid, pour something into my car. I was concerned enough about it that I hardly ever used the feature. Now I use it much more. In my previous cars, only the rear of the roof lifted when in vent position, but on the Model S, the entire panel shifts up, so there is no way to open just the rear end.

Sunroof no longer reaching the correct 'Vent' setting

I noticed yesterday that when sliding the sunroof to the Vent mode, it moves just enough to pop up by a few mm, but it's not fully moving to the correct position, really it's just enough to make a bunch of wind-noise, but with almost no venting. Anyone else had this issue, is there an easy reset/calibration procedure? I've rebooted the center screen, and done several full move cycles with the sunroof, but there's no difference.

5A5F5D5B-0478-4CFF-B9B4-AD59929E7D5E.JPG
D48BEFBD-90E4-48BA-A19B-D905E4D77FA5.JPG

And here is one owner who is grateful for the 12%
After parking the car for the night yesterday we had a torrential downpour and a huge clap of thunder that woke me up around 2am at which point I remembered venting the sunroof earlier in the day.
I closed it via the app but this morning I dreaded the damage in the car but :biggrin: nothing inside the car.

Thanks all. If the sunroof is designed properly, then leaving it open won't allow rain in when tilted/vented....I know my old A5 had a little drip ridge running along it that drained to the channel surrounding the sunroof; it was left vented several times during some major rain storms with no water getting in. Anyway, that aside, it doesn't seem like a very elaborate solution to the wind noise problem.

I've got exactly the same problem since 1,5 week.
When you open the roof (more than 20%), then close it back to vent (12%), it goes back into his correct position.
When the roof is closed, but you vent it, it's like it blocked.
This is not a feature, but a bug, confirmed by the Tesla engineers when I brought the car for a diagnose.
It seems that the joint is working properly and prevents the roof from opening into its vent position.

I have an appointment in September to fix it. I'll let you know if they it's confirmed.

I find the new vent position to be almost perfect. I always felt the previous vent position left too large of an opening along the front of the pano roof, into which someone could throw things into my car, or god forbid, pour something into my car. I was concerned enough about it that I hardly ever used the feature. Now I use it much more. In my previous cars, only the rear of the roof lifted when in vent position, but on the Model S, the entire panel shifts up, so there is no way to open just the rear end.

While the new vent position may be perfect for not allowing anybody to deliberately pour something in your car, it no longer actually.. uh.. "vents".

I took delivery of a new 70D last week and the car updated to 6.2 software the the first night of ownership. The pano roof "vent" position is the "new" barely venting position. I'll give my service center a call and have them also take a look at it.

I took delivery of a new 70D last week and the car updated to 6.2 software the the first night of ownership. The pano roof "vent" position is the "new" barely venting position. I'll give my service center a call and have them also take a look at it.

They'll probably just tell you it's "operating as designed", but if enough people complain, it may get addressed in a subsequent firmware update.