Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano Roof Wind Noise at Higher Speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've heard a few complaints here but not much follow up on resolution regarding the pano roof wind noise. I, too, have noticed quite bit of noise at high speed and would like to know if there is a definitive fix for his problem. (Waiting for my spoiler before calling Tesla service to look into this.)

I too had a lot of wind noise on the Pano roof around 50+ MPH, but what I found was that the seal on the front of the roof (The edge closest to the hood of the car) had slipped down, leaving a gap between the Pano roof and the leading edge of the roof line. In my car's case, I think what happened is there is a hole in the rubber seal right in the middle of it that is supposed to be where the sawtooth at the front of the pano roof mates to the leading edge of the car's roof, that hole slipped down and was being pushed under the sawtooth, rather than the sawtooth going into the hole in the rubber seal and completing the seal.

I stood in the car with the pano roof open and pulled the seal back up so when the roof is closed, the seal is flush again, rather than pushed down. That solved about 90% of my wind noise problem. I still get a bit of noise in the 80+ MPH range, but under 80, it's very quiet now.

I think my remaining noise is because there is a small rubber seal on the edge of the pano roof that wasn't installed at the Factory. I'm waiting until the P85 loaner cars are available for service visits in the Seattle are to get that fixed.

So check your seals on the roof and make sure the leading edge looks like it is sitting flush against the roof line. If it isn't, it's something you should be able to fix on your own by pulling and stretching the rubber seal back over the lip of the roof edge. If you are having difficulty visualizing it, feel free to PM me.

When driving at speeds around 60+ mph, there is a fair amount of wind noise coming from my pano roof. It sounds like I am driving down the highway with a window cracked. I have not opened/closed the roof at those speeds, and I have made sure it's fully closed before driving. It's too the point where driving at those speeds and talking on the phone via bluetooth is a challenge.

Is anyone else experiencing a higher-than-expected level of wind noise coming from their pano roof when traveling at highway speeds? I haven't seen any posts on this, so I'm wondering if a seal or something on my roof is not set or if the car needs service.

Appreciate any input from other owners with the pano roof! Love the car and that's currently my biggest complaint with it!

Cheers,
Michael

I had the same problem but I think the solution is this. If you close the roof while going at a high speed 60+ the roof doesn't seem to completely close. If you open and reclose the roof either stopped or at a lower speed it will completely close and the noise is gone. Mine did that but once the roof is completely closed it is pretty quiet and only wheel noise is what you hear if any.

I have no issues when the roof is closed at high speeds. However, when the roof is open I get lots of noise and vibration/chattering from the sunroof itself. This starts at about 50mph. I think joer00's comment on a vacuum being created may have something to do with this. I'll open some windows and see what changes. Another excuse to unleash the beast and "test" my 80+ mph performance.

When driving at speeds around 60+ mph, there is a fair amount of wind noise coming from my pano roof. It sounds like I am driving down the highway with a window cracked. I have not opened/closed the roof at those speeds, and I have made sure it's fully closed before driving. It's too the point where driving at those speeds and talking on the phone via bluetooth is a challenge.

Is anyone else experiencing a higher-than-expected level of wind noise coming from their pano roof when traveling at highway speeds? I haven't seen any posts on this, so I'm wondering if a seal or something on my roof is not set or if the car needs service.

Appreciate any input from other owners with the pano roof! Love the car and that's currently my biggest complaint with it!

Cheers,
Michael

Have a similar problem. Had a ranger visit, who told me it wasn't bad, until over 80 (which at that time) appeared to be accurate, but suggested that we let the Service Center check it out. Heading to Fremont this weekend for other reasons, and have an appointment with Fremont Service for this and other issues. Sometimes the wind noise is worse than others, so it appears the seals need improvement. Will report back after service.

Still want my PANO SUNSCREEN which will help some with light, heat and noise attenuation.

Have a similar problem. Had a ranger visit, who told me it wasn't bad, until over 80 (which at that time) appeared to be accurate, but suggested that we let the Service Center check it out. Heading to Fremont this weekend for other reasons, and have an appointment with Fremont Service for this and other issues. Sometimes the wind noise is worse than others, so it appears the seals need improvement. Will report back after service.

Still want my PANO SUNSCREEN which will help some with light, heat and noise attenuation.

Completed service at Fremont, and the wind noise situation is much better. Service reported the fix was to replace the seals around the little triangular corner windows near the rear view mirrors. Go figure, but it seems to have worked! Service experience was great, except for NO TESLA LOANER available on 20 May :(

Will patiently wait for my pano sunscreen retrofit, and expect TMC to honor their commitment to provide same.

Completed service at Fremont, and the wind noise situation is much better. Service reported the fix was to replace the seals around the little triangular corner windows near the rear view mirrors. Go figure, but it seems to have worked! Service experience was great, except for NO TESLA LOANER available on 20 May :(

Will patiently wait for my pano sunscreen retrofit, and expect TMC to honor their commitment to provide same.

I have had the wind noise >50-60mph (from day 1), got it to Fremont service center to try the new seal. Tried a few road trips on the freeway, no improvement. Have sent in a request to see what can be done, will report here on next steps

Thanks for the updates. After seeing Kaivball's post about a redesigned seal and taking a road trip over the weekend where the noise was my biggest (and really only) complaint of the car, I figured it was about time to take it in. I booked an appointment at the Fremont center for mid August to see if they can fix mine as well. I'll post in late August on if they were able to eliminate the loose seal and noise.

Just got my car back from the SC. Pano roof rattle is gone (and it was bad going in). Only 3 days, so hopefully it holds. The noise at 70-75mph is much better as well. I can still hear some wind noise, but much better than before. SC said they knew exactly what it was and knew what they needed to do. Hopefully the rest of you can get a quick fix as I'm sure the solution has been distributed to all the SCs.

Thanks for the updates. After seeing Kaivball's post about a redesigned seal and taking a road trip over the weekend where the noise was my biggest (and really only) complaint of the car, I figured it was about time to take it in. I booked an appointment at the Fremont center for mid August to see if they can fix mine as well. I'll post in late August on if they were able to eliminate the loose seal and noise.

They will give you a piece of paper with the outline of the car and roof from the top and ask you to mark the sections where the noise is coming from.

They were telling me that they are doing a lot of seal replacements.

So, how did it turn out?

So, how did it turn out?

Sorry for delay ... I just recently got my car back from the service center and so far so good ... the noise from the pano roof appears to be completely gone! Let me share a few notes of what I learned from the service center ... which - given the circumstance - was overall a great experience so big kudos/thanks to the Tesla team! I continue to be impressed with them.

This is an issue that Tesla service is well aware of, especially on earlier cars (my VIN is in 6400s). As a recap of my issue, when traveling at speeds above ~70 mph (especially in the presence of a cross wind) I got a loud wind noise coming from the front, center of the panoramic roof when it was fully closed. It sounded like I was driving down the highway with a window slightly cracked.

The service tech explained to me that the issue is with the panel located between the windshield and the panoramic roof, not with the pano roof itself. At high speeds, that panel in the front gets pushed down, creating a gap in front of the pano roof that lets in wind and causes the noise.

It sounds like there have been a few different bulletins with fixes for this that they've tried, and they have just recently settled on a new fix that was used on my car. I believe I got lucky in that they don't have a lot of parts (a special bracket) available yet for the fix, so if you take it in now they may or may not be able to help at this time. Also sounds like this fix has been a moving target for the service departments, but hopefully this one does it.

As a side note, they also fixed a few other things on my car per some bulletins, including potential creaking noise (which I had not heard yet) and I received the "real" mats (both front and back seat).

Hope this helps some of you others who may be having a similar issue!