Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano roof won't close on voice command

JKBRAND

Jan 2, 2018
Colorado
When I first discovered I could open the roof on my 2016 Model S via voice command, I was pleasantly surprised. Much better--and safer--than going through the touch screen. Issuing a voice command, "Open roof" starts the opening and the on-dash display shows "Sunroof opening." However, issuing a "Close roof" voice command does not close--or move--the roof at all, yet the on-dash display shows "Sunroof closing."
I have tried the scroll-wheel reset. No joy. Seems like a coding error because if I open the roof through the touch screen and manually stop it from fully opening and then try the voice command to close the roof, the roof resumes opening the rest of the way. Weird, no?

Am I the only one experiencing this anomaly?? I hesitate to call for a service appt as I'm out of warranty and wonder the best way to addressthe issue. TIA

ssuing a voice command "open roof" will open it, the front display shows "Opening sunroof."

• Informative
Reactions: Jimmer and WhiteWi

WhiteWi

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Feb 21, 2021
Somewhere in Universe
Will check on my 16 S if it does the same.
Yeap it opens but doesn’t close. Probably same thing why we can’t close windows remotely. On top of that if your roof is closed and you say close roof it will open sunroof 😂 try use voice command report bug and tell close roof command doesn’t work

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmer
Upvote 0

JKBRAND

Jan 2, 2018
Colorado
Will check on my 16 S if it does the same.
Yeap it opens but doesn’t close. Probably same thing why we can’t close windows remotely. On top of that if your roof is closed and you say close roof it will open sunroof 😂 try use voice command report bug and tell close roof command doesn’t work
Hmmmm....It appears "report bug" doesn't work. It implies it does, but no opportunity to tell system the close-roof command doesn't work. You too??

Upvote 0

Jimmer

Nov 2, 2019
North Augusta, SC
Same issue with the voice command not working to close the pano roof. When it’s open to the default 80% and I give the command to close the sunroof, the command appears correctly on my screen but the roof opens to 100%.

Thx for tip on reporting it - I was having same difficulty. But agree that it won’t be a high priority.😎

Reactions: WhiteWi
Upvote 0

Hookemhorns

May 8, 2016
Georgia
I have exactly the same error. Opens like a champ, but will not close even though the command is recognized. I'll try a bug report, and next time when in for service I'll list it as an issue. Some small chance that the bug report interaction will trigger a report to the software team.

I have never heard of the "bug report" feature accomplishing anything, not even simple feedback to the owner who submitted it. Sad to say, I honestly wonder if it really gets to anyone at Tesla.

Reactions: Jimmer
Upvote 0

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC