Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano roof won't close on voice command

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I first discovered I could open the roof on my 2016 Model S via voice command, I was pleasantly surprised. Much better--and safer--than going through the touch screen. Issuing a voice command, "Open roof" starts the opening and the on-dash display shows "Sunroof opening." However, issuing a "Close roof" voice command does not close--or move--the roof at all, yet the on-dash display shows "Sunroof closing."
I have tried the scroll-wheel reset. No joy. Seems like a coding error because if I open the roof through the touch screen and manually stop it from fully opening and then try the voice command to close the roof, the roof resumes opening the rest of the way. Weird, no?

Am I the only one experiencing this anomaly?? I hesitate to call for a service appt as I'm out of warranty and wonder the best way to addressthe issue. TIA

ssuing a voice command "open roof" will open it, the front display shows "Opening sunroof."

• Informative
Reactions: Jimmer and WhiteWi
Will check on my 16 S if it does the same.
Yeap it opens but doesn’t close. Probably same thing why we can’t close windows remotely. On top of that if your roof is closed and you say close roof it will open sunroof 😂 try use voice command report bug and tell close roof command doesn’t work

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmer
Upvote 0
Will check on my 16 S if it does the same.
Yeap it opens but doesn’t close. Probably same thing why we can’t close windows remotely. On top of that if your roof is closed and you say close roof it will open sunroof 😂 try use voice command report bug and tell close roof command doesn’t work
Hmmmm....It appears "report bug" doesn't work. It implies it does, but no opportunity to tell system the close-roof command doesn't work. You too??

Upvote 0
Same issue with the voice command not working to close the pano roof. When it’s open to the default 80% and I give the command to close the sunroof, the command appears correctly on my screen but the roof opens to 100%.

Thx for tip on reporting it - I was having same difficulty. But agree that it won’t be a high priority.😎

Reactions: WhiteWi
Upvote 0
I have exactly the same error. Opens like a champ, but will not close even though the command is recognized. I'll try a bug report, and next time when in for service I'll list it as an issue. Some small chance that the bug report interaction will trigger a report to the software team.

I have never heard of the "bug report" feature accomplishing anything, not even simple feedback to the owner who submitted it. Sad to say, I honestly wonder if it really gets to anyone at Tesla.

Reactions: Jimmer
Upvote 0
No. As the OP, I was able to report the bug months ago, although I'm disappointed the behavior hasn't changed. This
suggests Tesla either isn't paying attention to bug reports or they believe they have more important items to deal
with than this one. Still, how many lines of code (and testing) could it possibly take to provide a remedy? I'm
guessing 10 lines or less. Nonetheless, I think I'll take a stab at with Service to see what, if anything, they'll do.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Upvote 0
No. As the OP, I was able to report the bug months ago, although I'm disappointed the behavior hasn't changed. This
suggests Tesla either isn't paying attention to bug reports or they believe they have more important items to deal
with than this one. Still, how many lines of code (and testing) could it possibly take to provide a remedy? I'm
guessing 10 lines or less. Nonetheless, I think I'll take a stab at with Service to see what, if anything, they'll do.
I thought I had read that the "bug reports" do not actually get sent to the mother ship, even though the early owners were told that. More recently, my understanding (from other posts on here) is that the bug report is simply in a file that the service center can access if you go there for a problem.

Upvote 0